*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/133507-LAX-All-That-Glitters
by RatDog
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #283655
A true life comedy/tragedy/adventure story of my trip to Central Florida.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#133507 added November 16, 2001 at 2:22am
Restrictions: None
LAX: All That Glitters
Thursday, 8/23/01: The alarm wakes me at 4:30 AM. I rub the sand from my eyes and stumble into the kitchen to plug in the coffee. I start falling asleep while standing there waiting for the coffee to brew. The empty mug slips from my hand and shatters on the floor. This jars me back to consciousness, and I laugh at myself. I hate getting up this time of day, but I’ve got to catch an early flight. I’m going to visit my sister in Eagle Lake, down in Central Florida. My wife doesn’t like driving around LAX, and I don’t like leaving my car there, so I usually take a shuttle when I travel. Kinda funny though, I’m paying $99 to fly 1500 miles to Orlando, and $22 for a seven-mile ride to the airport. Oh well, that’s the price of convenience.

The driver arrives right on time. I kiss my wife and son goodbye and I’m on my way. I’m still a little bleary when I get to the airport, need another coffee. The driver opens the door for me and goes around to the back of the van to get my bags. As I step out of the van, I spot something glittering amid the dirt in the gutter. I reach down and pick it up; it’s a diamond ring! I look around; the area is pretty much deserted except for the skycaps, whoever lost this is probably long gone. I pocket the ring, tip the driver, and hurry to check in.

I consider asking the skycap if anyone reported a lost ring, then think better of it. I can hear it now: “Sure buddy, just leave it with me. I’ll take real good care of it and make sure the lady gets it back.”

I could try looking for the Lost and Found, but I don’t want to get delayed and miss my flight. Feeling slightly guilty, but mostly just lucky, I decide to keep it for now. Maybe I’ll call the airport later from my sister’s place when I get in, see if it’s been reported as lost.

I check in and get my boarding pass, the first time I’ve flown with Southwest. The way they work it, the earlier you check in, the lower your pass number. Lowest numbers board first, getting the better seats. I get a midrange number, but it doesn’t look too crowded. This flight should have plenty of room.

I have a few minutes until boarding, so I get a coffee and have a seat near my gate. I take out the ring for a closer look. Damn, that’s a big rock! Must be at least three carats, set in platinum, with a smaller stone on each side. The main stone looks a little dull though, probably not that high a grade. Still, should be worth at least a grand or so. I put it back in my pocket and get in line for boarding.

Getting on the plane, I overhear one of the stewardesses talking to the pilot, she’s going on through to Orlando, gonna stop over for a few days and visit friends. She’s a good-looking girl, early 20’s, and obviously more than a few months pregnant. I tell her I’m headed to Florida too; it’s supposed to be in the 90’s and humid when we get there. She jokes with me: “Well, I guess I won’t be very comfortable lounging out by the pool in my sexy bikini this week.” I chuckle, say “Probably not,” and walk in to look for a seat.
The plane is a little over half full. I grab an aisle seat. The guy with the window seat says he’s going fishing up north of Albuquerque. I tell him I’m going on to Orlando. Neither of us is really into talking much this early in the day. He goes back to reading his magazine; I put on my headphones and pop in a tape. Something I bought recently: Kirstie MacColl’s “Tropical Brainstorm”, music with a Latin beat by a British songstress with an interesting sense of humor. Perfect music to get in the mood for a Florida vacation. (If you have eclectic tastes in music, this is one CD you may want to add to your collection.)

One thing I didn’t know about Southwest: They don’t have meals on their flights. If I had know I would have grabbed an Egg McMuffin at the airport. The animal crackers and coffee they serve will have to do for now. Maybe they’ll let us get off the plane at ABQ to get something to eat.

© Copyright 2001 RatDog (UN: cyam_01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RatDog has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/133507-LAX-All-That-Glitters