*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/158064-The-new-kid
by Bookie
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #381531
A relcutant hacker teams up with an eccentric hottie to save the world...or blow it up.
#158064 added April 3, 2002 at 12:08pm
Restrictions: None
The new kid
Note: I don't know how colleges work, so if this is totaly unrealistic, oops


Computer Science sucked. Tina hated it with a passion, but she took it anyway. It was a perfict minor for any resume, even if she was going to pass the stupid class by a hair. No cute guys in there either. Only a bunch of geeks and a few girls with the same Idea she had.

Then of course there was Celine. She was crazy, to find all of those stupid numbers fun. Not paying attention to the computer in front of her, Tina started gazing about the room.

Mark, John, Phil, Paula seemed to be absent, probably still passed out in a tub somewhere. Celine, typing away like it was the end of the world, and the Kenny guy.

Wait, Kenny? Mabye the monitor screen was glaring. Tina rubbed her eyes and took another look. Yup, that was him alright, that cute boy from the party. He was typing faster than anyone in the class, and seemed to know what he was doing. Imagine that. Having nothing better to do, Tina tried to get his attention.

"Pssst." Nothing. OK, a bit louder.
"Psssssssst." The kid next to her gave Tina a strange look.
"Psssssssssssssst. Yo." Now the entire table was staring at her, and Kenny still hadn't taken his eyes of of the computer in front of him.
"Hey, Kenny." God! The kid was deaf! By now the entire class knew what she wanted, including the instructer, who gave Tina a warning look like she was back in Highschool.

Sighing in defeat, Tina got back to work. Programing realy wasn't that hard, especialy Comp. Science 101. The hardest thing the class did was loops, which was coincedentaly the most boring as well.

Before Tina actualy did anything, the bell rang, and she leaped out of her seat, along with the rest of the class, to go to lunch with Celine. Ken bumped into her at the doorway.

"Oh, um, sorry."

"Hey! Kenny!"

Kenny looked up at her, apperantly suprized she had known his name.

"Since when have you been going to this school? It's like already the end of this semester, you picked a weird time to brush up on your education."

Celine poked her head into the conversation. "Who's this?"

"This is Kenny, I met him in a club." Tina said, prodding Kenny with a finger. "You do remember me, don't you Kenny?"

"Uh, yeah, yeah I do."

"So what'cha doing here?"

"Uh, I'm..." Kenny started making little circles with his foot, like a shy little boy. Cute. "Getting my bachelors, in science."

"Why so late in the year? Couldn't you wait for the fall semester?"

"Um, well, my father, I mean, I..uh"

"God boy, speak in sentences!" Celine had jumped in, and she was right, all that stuttering was realy annoying. "Talk straight or don't talk, I can't understand a thing you're saying!"

"Oh, sorry." Kenny's head was down; it almost looked like he was going to cry.

"Hey, whatever." Tina felt a bit responsable for unleashing the terror that was Celine on an unsuspecting victim. "We're going to get some lunch. You wanna come with?"

Kenny looked terrified at the idea. "No, no. I have...work. Yes, I'll be late for work."

Yeah right. "Oh. OK, see you later then."

"Yes, nice seeing you again." At that, Kenny practicly dashed out the door. Celine turned to her friend.

"Girl, tell me that is not the cute guy you were taling about."

"Yeah well, he was cuter when I was drunk, but he's still sweet."

"What are you talking about? He was a little mouse!"

"Yeah, he was sort of shrimpy, huh?"

"Sorta? I've never seen a more girly man in my life!"

"Hey, you don't know if he was beaten up as a child or whatever. He has an accent, mabye he's Japanese."

"What's that got to do with anything?"

"Well, you know," Tina explained, glancing at the computer Kenny was working at, "They're very formal there. Maybe he was just taken aback by our American ways."

"You met him at a nightclub.."

"Oh, yeah." The light to the A drive on Kennys computer was blinking. Tina pressed the button an out popped a floppy disk. "Hrm. Looks like he left this behind. I hope it's not important. Maybe I can catch up with him."

"Don't try it. I'm hungery and that guy is probably hiding in a hole or something. Give it to him next class."

"Yeah, you're right." Celine was right way too often. Tina shoved the disk into her bookbag and started deciding on hogies or hamburgers.
© Copyright 2002 Bookie (UN: bookgrl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Bookie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/158064-The-new-kid