*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/193190-Infinity-Thought
Rated: ASR · Book · Spiritual · #135312
Who are we? Where are we going? Should we even care?
#193190 added September 18, 2002 at 1:36am
Restrictions: None
Infinity Thought
I was thinking as I took a walk through the forest the other day (I do have a forest) about a question that's been bothering me.

If there were an infinite number of objects with infinite desity and an infinitely small mass, would the sum total of the masses be infinity, 1 or 0? I know, it's an odd thing to think about, but that's what I do because I have no life.

Anyway, considering that there are an infinite number of these objects (since they have a density approaching 0) and a mass that's approaching 0, the logical conclusion is that they have a total mass that approaches 0. Of course, even a single mass that approaches 0 is also multiplied by infinity.

A number that's approaching 0 from the left (positive) has an infinite number of zeros before a one. Infinity could be seen as being a one with an infinite number of zeros behind it.

So if one were to multiply those together, the answer would be 1 because an infinite number of decimal places is cancelled out by an infinite number of whole decimal places.

Oh and one thing; a total mass of zero means that the objects are simply insignificant and surely don't exist anyway. A total mass of one could means that the entire mass of the unvierse is made of these objects. I say this because of the universal property of infinity.

Infinity can occur on any scale, large or small. So if the total mass of these objects anywhere in the universe under any scale is one, then I suppose that these objects could correspond to any number of things. Maybe I'll think of something soon.

"I can't imagine a God who would care."
"I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid."
Bishop, Aliens
Please read my journal "Late Night Philosophy

© Copyright 2002 SyntheticGod (UN: synthetic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SyntheticGod has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/193190-Infinity-Thought