*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/226174-Day-Ten-Part-Four
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #539038
I'm beginng to update again, so look forward to more stories!
#226174 added February 7, 2003 at 10:42pm
Restrictions: None
Day Ten, Part Four
         I finished the letter and summoned one of my Shikigamis. Shikigamis, depending on whose version you've heard, are either very good, or very bad. For mine though, these are spirit protectors of certain families. Rokodou Meiko, a famous Ghostsweeper, is an example. She controls 12 Shikigamis, which is a feat because it's rather difficult to control Shikigamis that have been in a family for a long time.
         Mine, on the other hand, is rather different. When I was at Shilkagosa, I specialized in capturing Shikigamis, not training them. This meant that I was a Renegade Shikigami Mistress. Most Shikigamis, when their families die, don't die with them. Because they're spirits, they've nothing to fear of death. Over time, instead of being completely obedient, they begin to acquire a personality of their own, and sometimes, wisdom as well. Many of them want to protect something again, although some have become completely independent and to an extext, as sentient as a human. When they turn to mischief however, Renegade Shikigami Trainers are sent. You could say that I'm a rare breed, as I'm a Shikgami Mistres, which is the highest rank one can obtain.
         The thing about Shikigamis is that when they are destroyed, everything they have goes with them. Their experience, wisdom, everything that they have learnt over the years. It's even worse if they're connected to someone, i.e. they belong to someone. That person experiences such a profound sense of loss that they are nearly crippled. It feels as though their very being is ripped out, which is true to an extent. Shikigamis have a way of becoming part of your soul, which is why when they are destroyed, you'll feel as though your soul is dying.
         Ordinarily, Shikigamis are extremely hard to kill, but there is a way for me. I have an agreement with the Shikigamis I've captured, so that they get what they want and I'll get what I need. (Notice the difference? :p) Each of them, with the exception of my own Shikigamis, have three seals. These seals are pieces of wood that are shaped slightly like coffins, not caskets, which are more rectangular. Everytime I get the Shikigami to do something, a seal is used, and when all three are used up, they are free to leave. However, if the three seals are destroyed at the same time, the Shikigami in question dies. It's very sensitive. Unlike my peers though, I don't consciously make a choice when deciding which Shikigami to use, but rely on my instincts instead, especially for battles. For things like these though, I used my twin Phoenixes. They're fast, but notoriously mischivieous at the same time. Double happiness? More like double headache.
         I handed them the letter and looked at them sternly in the eyes. "This gets to Barbara, okay? No excuses, and I expect you guys home latest tomorrow afternoon," I said. They grinned. "I'll give you guys some cheesecake if you're early," I offered. Their grins became even wider. They had missed flying, and so had I. They left through the window.

         I got up, stretched, and walked over to where my Phoenixes had left. I closed the window and went to the beds. My sister was sleeping soundly, but as usual, she had thrown the covers off her feet and had one hand out. I gently covered her and then left the room. We were staying in this huge suitë that easily accomodated the eight of us. I wanted to have a drink, so I went in search of the minibar. To my surprise, Kurama was awake and sitting in the living room, having a glass of sakë. "Not sleeping yet?" he asked me.
         "Need a drink. You sure you can stay sober tomorrow?" I asked. I didn't know he drank.
         "It's only one glass. Want one?" he asked.
         "No thanks. I'm allergic," I replied.
         "Your sister scared the hell out of me when she proposed this two months ago," he began. Alcohol loosened his tongue, it seemed.
         "Two months? What were you guys doing the whole time?"
         "Briefings and lessons. Hiei and I needed to learn a few things about Western Magic. The others also had to attend English classes. It took a lot of time, but was worth it."
         I took out a can of Sarsi and sat down beside him. For a few moments, I was content to merely sigh and take a few sips of my drink. "I guess you're right. I was only informed a few days ago, but for some reason, you and Hiei seemed more unprepared than I am," I said.
         "Well... It's nothing we can't really handle... Do you know that we're teaching the first few classes together?" he asked.
         "You and Hiei?" He nodded.
         "I should be thankful. I'm half-afraid that he'll cut off someone's head," I confessed.
         "He'll control himself. Why don't you let your hair down? It's not like you're going to turn into a monster if you do," he joked.
         "It's rather cool in here isn't it? I guess you're right," I took out the rubber band and shook my hair out. It fell in soft waves.
         "You've got nice hair," he said, gently stroking my hair.
         "Thanks," I replied. "I have a boyfriend by the way," I continued.
         "I was paying a compliment, Naoko-san. If I wanted to seduce you..." he leant close to my ear, "You wouldn't stand a chance," he whispered in a deliciously sexy and throaty voice.
         I moved away and turned to face him. "Thanks for the warning," I said dryly.
          "You're welcome," he replied, in an offbeat manner.
         I couldn't help it. I laughed.

© Copyright 2003 Karen Rump (UN: priestess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Karen Rump has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/226174-Day-Ten-Part-Four