*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/243895-April-2-2003-outlawpoet
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
April 2, 2003: outlawpoet

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! Our goal is to showcase some of our newest Writing.Com Authors and their items. From poetry and stories to creative polls and interactives, we'll bring you a wide variety of items to enjoy. We will also feature "how to" advice and items that will help to jump start the creation process on Writing.com

We hope all members of the site will take the time to read, rate, review and welcome our new authors. By introducing ourselves, reviewing items and reaching out, we will not only make them feel at home within our community, we just might make new friends!

Your editor this week:
outlawpoet
Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor


Noticing Newbies Contest Winners!
This month's contest was a blast! The Scavenger Hunt sent our Newest authors all over the site in a search for information. Newbies learned everything from how to become a Preferred Author to the latest details on the Writing.com Convention. The response was fantastic and now we have some very well informed Newbies!

Taking the best and most correct responses, we drew the following winners:

         1st place - cenair
         2nd place - csperry
         3rd place - verdandi

         Honorable Mentions -

         rwiedema
         ssj_trunks
         diva
         dianne
         Nicole

Congratulations!!!


I'm also very happy to tell you that the new contest is now open!!! This month's topic: Best Bio Block. Bio Blocks are an important part of your portfolio. This is your chance to introduce yourself you the Writing.com Community. If you haven't completed your Bio Block, get out there and do it!

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#622871 by Not Available.



Editor's Picks

One of my favorite things about writing this Newsletter is the opportunity to search through portfolios looking for Newbie Gold. This month, I was delighted by so many of the items I found. After sifting through scores of poems, stories, and articles I finally selected the following items. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Poetry

I was pleasantly surprised by this unusual take on a common subject. Nice imagery here!
 The Rose  (E)
A dying monarch; my first entry, please rate me!
#645806 by ongaku no tenshi



People rarely write ballads anymore. This is well done and the repetition adds to the lyrical nature.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#654488 by Not Available.



This one demands to be read aloud! The pace is fast and the language attractive.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#659460 by Not Available.



bianca_b says: The author takes you to Ireland on her trip. Enjoyed it very much!
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#655723 by Not Available.



Melissa is fashionably late! says: This was beautifully written. I thought it was worth showing to others, most definitely.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#659339 by Not Available.



In this poem, the author poses a very interesting question. Do you agree with the author's answer?
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#655877 by Not Available.



This is a poem with a fantastic story to tell. It's easy to lose yourself in this one!
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#659953 by Not Available.



Fiction

This is a wonderful re-write of a classic tale.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#659749 by Not Available.



Non-Fiction

This article mixes personal experience with humor.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#652036 by Not Available.


This powerful article took me into a world I had never before experienced. The author ends saying that there is more to come. I certainly hope so!

My Silent Hearing World  (E)
The story of MY life, dealing with deafness.
#657450 by CD Meggers




 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer


It's midnight. Quietly, the scribe dresses herself in her chosen raiment. Each item is carefully selected for her comfort. In silence, she lights candles and the small room begins to dance with mysterious shadows. Finally, her workspace perfect, she sits before the ancient desk, scored with a century of marks and scratches. Breathing in the scent of the oak, she pulls forth a sheet of bleached parchment and a pen filled with ink the color of deepest night...and begins to write.

No. This isn't the prologue to a Horror or Fantasy story. *Smile* Since there were no questions for the editors, I decided to talk about Writing Rituals. As I go through the forums on the site, I've noticed many posts in which authors complain about Writer's Block. Not just the bane of Newbies, the posts have ranged in case color from black to purple.

Most published Writers will admit to the benefit of Writing Rituals. Don't worry, I'm not talking about dark magic or nefarious deeds; simply the necessity of putting yourself in the frame of mind to write.

Some writers treat writing like any other career. They get up early in the morning and dress in business attire. Then they retreat to their home office for eight hours of writing.

Many authors try to write at the same time every day, to write in the same place every day, or to wear the same clothes while writing. One famous writer always lit a candle and poured himself a stiff drink before sitting down at the typewriter.

Silly as these rituals might sound, the second these authors put on their writing clothes or enter their writing workplace, their minds are ready to write.

So I'm curious...do any of you have any interesting writing rituals that you would be willing to share? Let me know.

Oh...and the Writing Ritual in the first paragraph of this section? That's mine. *Smile*




Thanks for Reading,
outlawpoet

Your Noticing Newbies Newsletter Editors,
Pita
amawitch
yesnomaybe

 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 05-31-03 @ 1:30pm | Modified: 05-31-03 @ 1:30pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/243895-April-2-2003-outlawpoet