*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/244439-The-Jokes-On-Me
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Inspirational · #655260
Each day is new and wonderful. What inspired me today? Find out here.
#244439 added June 3, 2003 at 5:56pm
Restrictions: None
The Joke's On Me????
Sometimes I look around for the candid camera. Why else would things continue to happen to me unless it was all a sick joke?

I received a call from the store where I had sold some brand new merchandise, getting ready for my move. I lost some on the transaction, but at least that was one thing out of the way. The check was ready and off I went to collect it.

I drove from the store to the bank, then to another store to pick up a few things I needed. When I got back into my car, it wouldn’t start. It didn’t make a sound.

Fortunately, a mechanic happened to be in the store. He got a battery booster, then asked me to drive across the street so he could check the car some more. Testing showed that it was the battery and not the alternator. “That’s a blessing,” he said.

Normally, I would have agreed with that statement. But for one without a job or any income, an expense of $60 or $260 isn’t much different. He suggested I take the car back to where I had purchased my last battery, after he discovered I had no money. His batteries were far too expensive, and he thought I might get a credit or refund on the old battery if I took it to where I had purchased it.

He was right. My 60 month battery had totally given out in only 24 months. Does that make any sense?

I received a $30 credit off a new 60 month battery. I really wanted to buy a 24 month battery, figuring they might give that to me for free. But they didn’t have any cheap batteries. Only expensive ones. Ones that still might only last a portion of their intended life.

Thankfully, I had received a check for selling things. But it just didn’t seem as sweet when I had to spend some of it right away on my car.

I keep having to remind myself that I haven’t had a car payment in 20 years. And that spending $500 a year on maintenance and repair really isn’t so bad. Except when one has no income…




Heart, In Love with Jesus

© Copyright 2003 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/244439-The-Jokes-On-Me