*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/264803-The-Academic-A-vs-The-Creative-Soul
by fregin
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #764092
life and other extraneous info
#264803 added November 4, 2003 at 10:56pm
Restrictions: None
The Academic A vs. The Creative Soul
There are rules and order to the academic paper that receives an A.

Writer's block with an academic paper often means you simply need to know more about your topic. Further research can prompt a new onslaught of ideas.

You may spend your time praying to the gods of academia for inspiration and insight, but likely you will find your inspiration through further study.

I haven't spent much time frustrated by academia.

Creative pursuits, however, require the diligence of the soul. How might I know this? Because I signed up as a member on Writing.com in order to explore my own imagination!

I have experienced a fear with crafting stories from the mind and exposing them for all to see that I have never before felt.

I have realized that the more I expose of my mind, the more uneasy I feel, but perversly, I really want to delve further. The writing that touches me the most is writing that takes risks rather than the writing that follows predictable order. But, to take those risks means to expose oneself. I honestly didn't expect it to feel so personal. How short-sighted of me!

And, oh how the muses have changed! I search for them everywhere. Sometimes, none appear. Sometimes, there are too many, but none of them engage my spirit. Those absurd changelings come when they want to and leave at their will, leaving me lost and frustrated.

Once the muse does inspire, some of the acadmemia reasserts itself. Organize. Plot. Design. Introduce. Conclude. Edit. Revise. OK, I'm comfortable again.

But wait, can the reader feel the experience, visualize the settings and characters, relate with the story? Academia deserts.

At least I don't have to research a topic for a creative pursuit. Ha! I have stopped myself on several pieces I began to write because I recognized my ignorance and realized my brain needs some serious nurturing unless I want to create another so-so piece of work.

What I have learned thus far??? The stories I want to tackle are going to require my time, my energy, my dedication, and pieces of my soul.

I have to expose myself without protection if I want to achieve anything noteworthy.

I have to accept that I have to override my uncertainty since I've gotten the best feedback on the pieces about which I felt most anxious.

Writing is not for the feint of heart.

© Copyright 2003 fregin (UN: fregin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
fregin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/264803-The-Academic-A-vs-The-Creative-Soul