*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/265774-POWs
by fregin
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #764092
life and other extraneous info
#265774 added November 11, 2003 at 10:43pm
Restrictions: None
POWs
I know that people are getting tired of the subject being debated, but I need to explore my frustration with the American people.

The Jessica Lynch special is on TV tonight, so the issue of heroism was probably on the tips of the tongues of many people throughout our country today. How can people even enter into a debate whether or not she is a hero? Has any other prisoner-of-war in history ever been called anything but heroic? A hero is a person who shows bravery and strength under extraordinary circumstances. The definition doesn't mention the number of people the person must kill in order to receive a heroic status. How dare people judge her? She was on assignment to defend our country when she was so brutally injured. All of our soldiers who uphold the duties assigned them deserve the same respect.

How can anyone resent the attention and monetary rewards she has been offered? Yes, others lost their lives and should be awarded tremendous respect and any rewards possible for their sacrifices, but why should the death of others diminish her experiences or cause others to resent her? Why shouldn't people be happy for any advantages ANY of the soldiers are offered? She didn't ask to be in the middle of the media circus that has ensued, but all her experiences have been exposed for the American public to dissect. Who would like to trade places with her? Yes, she survived but will likely suffer a painful recovery process, to whatever extent she can possibly expect recovery.

Remember how Vietnam veterans were received when they returned from their horrific experiences? Those of us who were not alive during that time see, through television recordings, how some Americans lined up to spit on and degrade those brave soldiers. I think most of America feels shame upon viewing those accounts.

Jessica Lynch may not have shined as a soldier on the battlefield, but she certainly paid her dues for the sacrifice of serving her country. No matter what your political views are on the concept of war or whether or not we should be a part of it, all of our soldiers who risk themselves in our stead should be awarded a degree of respect and courtesy, and we should make them feel welcome and award them only our heartfelt thanks upon their safe return home.

Jealousy and pettiness do not look good on the American people.

© Copyright 2003 fregin (UN: fregin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
fregin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/265774-POWs