*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/267834
by Daizy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #783750
Scattered throughout the world these powerful Gems must be found
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#267834 added September 1, 2004 at 11:34pm
Restrictions: None
The Marshes of Ginam



It was a misty dawn within the lands of Emria. The sun fought with low hanging clouds, trying to shine her light on the gray earth below. Her force would not prevail in these early hours, no matter how hard she struggled. No birds brought the day forth with their songs. No animals scurried about their morning routines. The air was still. It seemed as if all were waiting for something to happen. The ground shifted slightly. A lonely soul had dared to intrude on this morn’s seclusion. It was a man. He was young and handsome, barely out of boyhood. His build was that of a strong warrior; tall, lean and well muscled. With his light hair, dark eyes, and boyishly rugged features, many young maidens pined after him.

However, his journey was not one of finding a bride. His king sent him to find a married couple, the Ginams. The husband was a man of world-renowned strength, and his wife was a woman who was said to have the strongest magic ever seen. It was not strange for warriors and the enchanted to wed. The bizarre bit was that this warrior was human, and this mage was Elvin. He traveled to find their castle in the middle of a deadly quagmire. For weeks he had been traveling. The going was difficult because he had to gather information as he went. From Lemeth’s capital city of Camis he traveled in a southeasterly direction. After gaining entrance into the Elvin lands of Emria, which was no easy task given the fact that he was human and armed to the teeth, he had traveled due east.

He estimated that he would at least be within the swamp by nightfall. “The land is changing Riste. Not even the sun can penetrate these vapors.” The man spoke partly to himself and partly to his steed, a Palomino warhorse. It was a habit that he had taken to. He knew that his mount would not talk back that was impossible. However, this warrior was a man who could not stand silence. He took great pleasure in the spoken word.

The day went by slowly, man and stallion trudged deeper into Emria. As the sky changed to the rich tones of sunset, the land altered as well. It became cool and damp, morphing more and more into a swamp as they went. Riste reluctantly followed his master’s commands; the horse was well trained. Wisps of white and gray floated in the air. He assumed that they were the phantoms of the poor spirits who had perished in this unforgiving slough. Mud Puppies, bog wraiths, along with ghosts of all sorts kept them both anxious yet vigilant. They stumbled for hours, hoping for the sun to finally come up. It never did. After what seemed like days of maddening silence and unearthly creatures haunting their every step, they finally staggered into a castle that was more dank and dark than the marshes around it. Boy and horse collapsed on the cold stone.

***


The intruders were not the only ones in the marshes. Not many dared to enter these sacred lands, even less escaped. A girl, who looked as if she had barely entered womanhood, and a horse, who was not quite what he seemed, came and went as they pleased. The girl had been born here, and the horse was her protector. The bog was as much a part of this girl as the immense sword she wore strapped to her back was. The glaive was a piece of art. It had been her father’s, crafted by a Dwarven swordsmith. Light as a feather and more durable than a diamond, it was perfect. The horse pranced about; he was more than particularly fond of these lands for he could blend in well within them. “Teraliya, I should like to speed our process along a bit.” The horse spoke. “You do not mind do you?”

“You needn’t ask.” The girl smiled. She placed her hands on either side of his shoulder blades. Feathery wings grew out of his back. It was a painful process for the beast, but Teraliya’s magic eased his suffering considerably. Beaue tested his wings on the tepid air, and lifted from the ground. His hooves were merely an inch from the muddy ground, but he flew like a streak of black lightening. They were soon at a wooden drawbridge. “Well Beaue. It is time for me to face my demons once more.”

The gentle clip clop of Beaue’s steps were the only sounds in the castle. He stopped suddenly; Teraliya jumped off his back and crouched into a cat-like stance. They had both sensed it. Someone or something was within this forbidden castle. Who is it that dares to break the solitude of my parent’s shades? She thought to herself. This castle was not only forbidden to enter, it was extremely injudicious. There were creatures here that demanded to be left alone. Her mother had known how to pacify them and live in peace alongside them. When she passed from this realm, she had given the secret to her only child. Basic intuition told Teraliya that whatever was here wanted more than the simple treasures the castle held. She whispered into the darkness. “Light.” It was barely audible, but nonetheless dozens of torches flickered to life. They crept along the main corridor when Beaue nudged Teraliya. A shadow had darted the length of the wall.

She cast a low-level “no movement” spell, and the shadow froze. They moved closer. This shadow had substance. It was no wraith or swamp silhouette, but a boy. Though he was not really a boy, but rather a young man. Teraliya found herself thinking about how handsome this intruder was. She waved her hand, and he unfroze. Her lavender eyes penetrated straight through him; staring right at his soul. “What is your business within Ginam Castle? It is forbidden to mortals.”

“You’re mortal does that mean that you are forbidden as well?” The boy quipped. He eyed this young girl. Her beauty was alluring. She was small with curves that a one her age should not have, shoulder length full black hair and those strange ethereal lavender eyes. But the horse beside her was stranger than any he had ever seen. It was black, save for the underside of its wings, which were silver in color. It also had a horn. A unicorn? A pegasus? He did not understand.

“I am the owner of this castle, and I may do with it as I please. I do not believe that you were ever invited to visit.” She snarled. The voice that came from her was also not one of a young girl, and he noticed that the tips of her ears were slightly pointed.

“I do apologize. I became lost within the swamp.“ He rattled on a bit, as Teraliya gently probed his mind to see if he were speaking the truth.

“You are a poor liar. That is not why you are here.” Her eyes narrowed. “What is your name?”

“Bren Mayli. I was not lying.”

“There is something more, a different reason why you have traveled here.” She said. “Follow me.” She walked past him. “My name is Teraliya Ginam. He is Beaue.” She paused; there was something hidden in Bren’s subconscious. She could feel it. Her words were chosen carefully and said deliberately. “Do not cross me, Bren. I am more powerful than I look, and Beaue is my protector.” Teraliya paused once more, trying to size this trespasser up. She could always just pick his mind apart bit by bit, but that would take too long. It could also kill him; he might be useful to her yet. “ Are you hungry?”

He was taken aback and stammered a bit. “Well, I haven’t had anything to eat in-”

“I’ll take that as a ‘yes’.” She continued walking, not turning to see if Bren followed. Teraliya knew that Beaue would be monitoring this man closely. They walked down a hall. Tera’s steps were swift... calculated... balanced... yet exceedingly feminine. Bren already knew that she could utilize magic, for she had cast a spell on him. The way she moved made him think of the way a warrior moves. The massive sword strapped to her back told him that Teraliya at least knew how to handle herself in hand-to-hand combat. How he even lifted the sword he would never know. She had already admitted to being a Ginam, so there was a definite possibility that she was as strong a warrior, as she was a sorceress. The pace quickened, and Bren was forced to hasten his actions. He found himself wondering why he had trouble keeping up with this girl who could not have been more than sixteen. Tera came to a sudden halt, whipped around, and addressed him. “I believe that I am nearly twice your age, perhaps older.”

“Is it customary for a hostess to delve into her guest’s mind?” He said, slightly irritated that she had been poking around in his private thoughts. The rapid velocity resumed whilst Teraliya spoke.

“As I’m sure I said before, you were never invited; therefore, you cannot possibly be a guest in my home. I am, however, intrigued by you. Make no mistake; my curiosity is the only thing keeping you alive.” She spoke, placing her emphasis on “only.”

He frowned. “I won’t be scared so effortlessly. I am on a quest for my king. His Highness commissioned me to find Lord and Lady Ginam, whom I assume are your relatives-”

“My parents. They are dead.” There was despondency in her voice. She shook the woe away and motioned that they had reached the end of the passage. “The kitchens are just through this door.” She waved her hand and the aforementioned door opened fully, without the slightest noise. Beaue shifted, to leave the two-legs, so that they could enjoy a private meal devoid of his company, and then he could return to the stables for some much needed rest. Teraliya noticed his motion, went to him, and gently stroked his forehead. “Beaue, I noticed that our... friend,” she chose her word with care, “had a companion. A lovely charger, who may be in need of your warm presence, and perhaps a soothing retreat in the stables. Would you help the poor dear?” It was the first time that Teraliya had not spoken tersely; this time she spoke with devoted affection.

“It will be done; shall I invite him to partake a meal with me?” Tera nodded answering Beaue’s question. “Barley, oats, and a bit of sugar?” Beaue asked excitedly. He was always euphoric at the prospect of sugar; it was his favorite.

Her lips brushed his nose in a small and gentle kiss. “A bit of a treat is bound to be in order.” Beaue nodded his black head slightly, and, if it were possible, smiled. Then he exited the room. Bren took a step backwards. Had this woman been speaking with her stallion? Or was she simply mad. “I assure you that I am not mad.” Her brusque tone returned. “You are not of magic, you could not begin to comprehend the voices of animals; on the other hand, I am the only person who can truly understand verbally what they say.”

“Beaue actually talks back? Is that what all that neighing was?” Teraliya had already explained; she wasn’t about to do so again. Her focus was fully on preparing a meal. The kitchens were vast. Instead, of the damp sigh of decay that the rest of this godforsaken citadel held; these rooms were warm and invitingly comfortable. She took a bottle of wine, a loaf of bread and some aged cheese from a cupboard. Bren eyed it, not sure whether it was poisoned or not. She glared at him; it was a look of contempt. Never would she stoop so low as to poison a man while he enjoys his first meal in days. He continued to stare at the food suspiciously, unaware of Teraliya’s glowering. “Starve if you must! The provisions are excellent. The bread is an Elvin recipe, the cheese I bought in Cresio made by the Royal cook herself, and the wine is the best stock, from the cellars of Minylan Fortress. I am thoroughly affronted by your lack of appreciation at my hospitality.” Teraliya shook with rage.

“I apologize; it was rude of me to suspect. I am a warrior, and prone to wariness.” It seemed as though Bren would have to tread lightly around Teraliya. Elves are easily offended. Bren could not afford to loose his head around her, for it might literally happen.

“I have walnuts and dried fruit should you still need nourishment.” She dismissed the matter, as was the Elvin way, and she was half Elvin. The hard crust of the bread was brushed with cinnamon and sugar, whilst the inside was wonderfully moist and robust. The cheese was hearty and filling. Then came the wine, Bren thought this to be perfect. As he drank, his strength returned to him, rather than making him inebriated and slowwitted. “I’m glad that you approve. May I ask a question?”

“You just did.” Bren said with a cocky half-smile

“Clever.” She smiled. It had been a long time since anyone made her grin.

“Your smile is sweet Teraliya; you should wear it more often.” His tone was soft. He was charming; Teraliya had to give him that much. They gazed at each other for a moment, then he abruptly spoke. “So, what was your question?”

“Do you always eat as though an army occupies your stomach?” He cocked his head, a distinct twinkle in his eye. Then they both laughed.

© Copyright 2004 Daizy (UN: caligrl16 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Daizy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/267834