*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/267835
by Daizy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #783750
Scattered throughout the world these powerful Gems must be found
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#267835 added November 29, 2003 at 5:50pm
Restrictions: None
The Forest of Light
{/b}(Note: "Blade Magic" was an idea that came from elvenmage I changed it to suit my needs){/b}


Kaida sat in the center of a small clearing deep within the Meridan Forest. This place had been her home since before she could remember. She was young, just entering her twenty-second year. Kaida was lithe and small at less than five and three inches. Her hair was long and curly, colored jet black with streaks of white, and her soulful blue eyes held unmistakable wisdom. Despite her stature and build, Kaida was a strong and surprising woman, for she was one with the Blade. Her life had been focused around this new form of magic she had invented. She knew nothing of her former family, her life before the blade. Kaida’s entire existence has been spent perfecting her craft. The Meridan Forest had shown Kaida that she had the magic. It had given her materials with which to create her weapons with, and it had unleashed the power within her. Blade Magic, as Kaida had coined it, was utilizing one’s energy to add to the physical nature of a glaive. When she was one with the sword, her own life force joined with the cold metal.

Your mind wanders Kaida. Focus. Kaida felt the Light of the forest flowing through her. She looked at her self-made Pa Kua and Susano blades. Her Pa Kua's handle was made in the liking of an all-powerful dragon, and the Susano had the flames of the sun engraved. Kaida liked how the length and grace of the Susano and the deadly teeth and curve of the Pa Kua created a perfectly balanced dance. Her thoughts were averted to a small patch of tiny flowers at the edge of the clearing. They were tightly packed together and their leaves tended to hide the full beauty of the flowers. Quick as lightning she shot energy out of her Pa Kua to cut off a single stem with one flower from the bunch and with the energy from her Susano she trimmed the leaves from it, revealing the perfect little flower floating softly down to the earth. She sheathed her swords, jumped up and caught it before it hit the ground. Kaida put the flower in a small pouch about her hip. She placed her hands upon the forest floor. "Dearest forest of Light. I thank you for your generous contribution to my studies."

Kaida and the Meridan had come to an agreement. She was allowed to take from the forest what she needed, so long as she helped make the forest more beautiful. She stood up and wiped the dirt from her training clothes. Kaida ran through the forest making her way to her cottage. This daily run from her practice area to her home was nearly two leagues from each other. Her house was a small building made almost entirely of living plants. It had two areas. One room held a kitchen of moderate size and enough room for a table, chair, bed, and fireplace. The other room was set apart for the forging and storage of her weapons, but that was the only part of the house that had non-living materials within. Kaida stopped before she reached her front door. Something was very wrong. It was as if the land itself were screaming out. She could feel it in her blood. A great evil had come to power. She looked up into the canopy of trees. "Perhaps I was just imagining it..." She said softly. “Then again... perhaps I was not...”

Kaida rushed inside. She went to the forging room and gathered all the weapons she could. Among them were two hatchets, several throwing daggers, and three of her favorite swords. Anyone looking upon this small woman at this moment in time would have thought her mad. Kaida was not crazy, but in the same instance she was not what most would consider sane. After all, she did speak to nature; yet again nature answered her back...

“Child of Light, this is not your battle.” The voice was a whisper; it was soothing and calm. It was like the sound of a mother calming her babe in the middle of the night. But Kaida felt the agony behind the words.

“Dearest Meridan, it is my battle, for it is yours. I have seen what this evil presence in the earth is doing to you. Every day more withers away and dies. The garden cannot be tended if the gophers are allowed to flourish.”

“Such is the way. You must accept it. You can do nothing Child.”

“I can try.” With that, Kaida gathered the last of her things. She allowed only a single tear to fall as she left the only home she had ever known. The Meridan continued to try and dissuade her as she traveled. “Forest of Light. I must do this.”

“Then the Light shall help you. Travel west and to where the Nan and Trele Rivers merge. At this junction follow the Trele north, but always west. You shall find some answers, and even more questions in the human’s capital city of Camis. It will be strange for you Child of the Light. They are not like you, but their leader King Donren will listen to you. The Light will always be with you.” The whispered voice became even fainter. “Remember the Light.”

“Remember.” Kaida whispered back, reflecting on her decision. “I shall.”



© Copyright 2003 Daizy (UN: caligrl16 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Daizy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/267835