*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/275378-October-1-2003-amawitch
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
October 1, 2003: amawitch

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! Our goal is to showcase some of our newest Writing.Com Authors and their items. From poetry and stories to creative polls and interactives, we'll bring you a wide variety of items to enjoy. We will also feature "how to" advice and items that will help to jump start the creation process on Writing.com.

We hope all members of the site take the time to read, rate, review and welcome our new authors. By introducing ourselves, reviewing items and reaching out, we will not only make them feel at home within our community, we just might make new friends!


This week's editor is amawitch.

Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

noticing newbies - newsletter header


Hi, *Smile*

Dear Readers, I did not forget you. While in the hospital my mouse went out and my children replaced it with a orbit thing, of course I did not read the directions, and found I could no longer just copy and paste, which I did 7 times before I got told by the SMS to "cut". Another example of not everyone knows everything, and to read things first. Sorry.

This time of year we are thinking about the passing of Summer and the welcome of Autumn. We tend to spend a lot of time outdoors, doing last minute things before the sun decides to rest. It is a great time to decide to be here more often, writing, learning, and reviewing other peoples work. So, I decided to post some helpful hints about writing, just little things that I have picked up here and there from others here on Writing.Com.


Write every day, even if only for five minutes. Writing is a muscle that must be exercised. And try to write at the same time every day so it becomes a habit, like brushing your teeth before turning in for the night. In fact, writing just before you go to sleep is a good time. Just after waking up is a good time too. Your mind is fresh and clear in the first minutes of morning.


Write about subject matter that you care deeply about. You should be passionate about your writing. Otherwise, why do it? And you must write about what you know. There are two ways to know something: experience or research. Either way, if you care about your writing, chances are readers will too.


Write with your ending in mind. Imagine the entire story before you start writing it. Many people have trouble finishing what they begin because they don't consider where their story will end.


While writing your first draft, allow yourself to be as free as possible. Don't edit while you write. Whatever comes to mind, just write it, even if you might ultimately cut it later. When you write freely, you make associations that you may not otherwise have made. Sometimes you need to write a paragraph or several pages that will eventually be cut in order to get to a wonderful paragraph or line that will be in your final draft.


Carry a pad around with you. Whenever you are inspired, jot down what's on your mind so you don't forget it. Perhaps it's an idea for a story, a detail you noticed on your way to work, or a piece of dialogue you heard while buying your coffee that made you think, "That's how people really talk." This way, you always have a sheet handy to write down your thoughts.


Start. If you are intimidated by a blank page, scribble on it. If a blinking cursor on a blank screen is psyching you out, type anything. Just start moving your fingers. Writing is one of life's great pleasures. Most people don't know that because they never had the courage to do it. But anyone can write. Start now. Or get out your date book and schedule a time to start. Write.


Also remember to enter the next contest:
"Invalid Item
It is for you Newbies.

Wind beneath your wings all,
*Kiss*
amawitch
noticing newbies committee sig
Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.

Editor's Picks

Highlighting Newbie BioBlocks


I am still finding so many Bio-Blocks that are empty*Frown*. But thats ok because maybe some of you are still learning your way around, and trying to decide what you want to say about yourselves, right? So I want to welcome these
Newbies and encourage them and of course all of you to please take the time to fill in your Bio-Block. It gives us an introduction to you and helps to give us an idea of who you are!!! *Smile*

Your Bio-Block can always be changed, updated. It can be serious, humorous, or just silly. Its your introduction to us, so come on all you Newbie's out there, let us in on who you are!

Here are some Newbies I found interesting and/or entertaining. I read their work, and found myself very entertained. Please give them a read and consider posting your own "welcome mat" in your Newbie Bio-Block.

~~Say hello to~~~


luvpoetry

toniskeeter

erynmyst

melissaplantz1

Lola St. Marcos

audball

lostprincess

This Newsletter found me really reading carefully for entertainment. The author's I chose not only entertained me, but I found them exceptional in detail, grammer, content. I am sure you will agree. Enjoy.
Write On!


*Star*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

A reminder to pay attention to who you pass.

*Star*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

This was beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

*Star*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

I love the rain, maybe this will help you love it too.

*Star*
 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

I remember the promises made.

Till next time, read, write, be happy! *Kiss*
Wind beneath your wings all,
amawitch
noticing newbies committee sig
Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.

 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

I found no questions which seems weird because as a Mod I still get lost here sometimes. But just in case someone might be bored I usually fill this space with some enlightening tidbit about something. This time I found this in the Washington Post.

The Washington Post recently ran a contest asking readers to create new words by adding, subtracting or changing one letter of an existing one. Here are some of the astonishing and humorous results,

1. Foreploy: Any misrepresentation of yourself for the purpose of talking someone into having a relationship with you.
"edited to be GP-13"

2. Giraffiti: Vandalism spray painted very, very high on a building.

3. Glibido: All talk and no action; the opposite of foreploy.

4. Hipatitits: Terminal coolness.

5. Inoculatte: To take coffee intravenously when you’re running late.

6. Intaxication: Euphoria at getting a tax refund, which lasts until you realize it was your money to start with.

7. Karmageddon: It’s like, when everybody is sending off all these really bad vibes and then the Earth explodes. It’s a bummer, dude.

8. Osteopornosis: A degenerate disease.

9. Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.

10. Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who just doesn’t get it.


In closing I encourage you to look at the left side of your screen often. Those scroll items are for all of us. An invaluable place to find the tools we need to find anything on the site, use to improve ourselves, or just to "shop". The Plug Page is great to post items for review. There are numerous Review Forums that are just asking for you to submit your items and will offer fair and honest critique.
Take some time, explore, and if you get lost, just keep a piece of paper next to with a pen, and write down where you were, and what you found. More importantly, have fun!!!

Till next time.... Write On!


amawitch
Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.

 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 02-02-04 @ 1:40am | Modified: 02-02-04 @ 1:40am      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/275378-October-1-2003-amawitch