*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/277629
by Bookie
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #381531
A relcutant hacker teams up with an eccentric hottie to save the world...or blow it up.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#277629 added February 14, 2004 at 10:33pm
Restrictions: None
A New Duty
Everything was hazy when Ken eventually gathered up the courage to open his eyes. For a few moments he stared at the spinning ceiling, his mind blank. His head began to complain however, and with a grunt the boy tried to blink away the fuzz and rubbed at his temple to rid himself of the ringing in his ear.

A minute more and the ringing stopped, although the room was still not entirely corporal. Everything was bright, indicating that it was near noon, and from an unseen window cars passed by and birds chirped to each other.

Ken tried to turn his head to the side, but a sharp pain at the base of his skull stopped him. Instead, he tried to examine the room he was in out of the corner of his eye.

It was a hotel, he decided. And he was sleeping in the only queen bed in the room. There was a small TV at his feet, and a closet to his right, and to his left a door. The walls were covered in amiable creme paper and reproductions of famous Rembrandts, but besides that, everything was rather stark.

The doorknob turned and Ken stiffened. The last thing he could remember was being slung over Yomoto's back, and there was no telling what was going to happen to him now. Into the room stepped stone faced Yomoto, although the narrowness of his eyes told Ken the man was amused; not a good thing.

Following him came Ishida, one of his father's confidants, and then Otomoya himself. Ken's father was dressed in his perfect suit and tie as usual, but there was a scowl on his face, and Ken couldn't bare to face the man's gaze. Once all three men were in, Ishida closed the door and surrounded the bed.

[Kenichi...]

[Yes.]

[You're alive I see.]

[Yes.]

[I heard there was an accident at the police station.] Yomoto grinned at that, but the other two men were stone faced.

[I'm glad you made it out. Do you still have our information?]

[Yes.]

[Good.]

Otomoya turned and opened the door to leave, but stopped himself before he took a step.

[Oh, and the American girl. If you see her, kill her.]

[Yes sir.]

Ken's father nodded and stepped out, Ishida following. Yomoto closed the door after them and turned back to Ken, his content now obvious.

[Well, little Ken, you really are good at staying alive.]

Ken opted to say nothing in response.

[Anyway, a friend of mine has a good idea of where the girl is. I was wondering if you would like to accompany me when we pick her up, since it is now your job to take care of this mess.]

[I'm not sure I can move.]

Yomoto laughed. [You've recovered from worse. I'll pick you up tomorrow after noon.] With that he gave Ken a wink and stepped out of the room.

Ken sighed and let himself relax into the bed. At least he was still alive, and still needed, but killing Tina was going to be impossibly difficult.
© Copyright 2004 Bookie (UN: bookgrl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Bookie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/277629