*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/277851-Befuddled
by Zaring
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #809654
A journal for my life. Inspired by Wannabe's DWC.
#277851 added March 6, 2004 at 4:45pm
Restrictions: None
Befuddled
Well now I’m just confused. Remember the Heart Association donation deal?

Justin and I were eventually able to get donations for the whole 200 hearts. The rest of the crew helped some, but I blew them all out of the water. We were pretty pleased with ourselves. Much to Justin’s chagrin, my boss was so proud of us that he brought us 200 more.

Again the hearts just lay there. Everyone is tired of being told "no" at this point. I’m a little befuddled myself. But alas, I continued to try to get donations for this very worthy cause.

As I was going through e-mail today, I noticed that corporate had sent an e-mail regarding this fund raiser. I opened it and was somewhat dismayed at the content of the letter. Apparently, The American Heart Association has decided to throw in a cruise for the store that gets the most donations. The store that comes in 2nd place gets 52 Subway sandwiches. (One a week for a year)

My thought was; If they can afford to give away a cruise why are we busting our butts trying to get donations?

I was a little peeved at the whole thing. I think if I won a cruise (and I actually took it) that was paid for from people’s generous donations, I’d never be able to live with myself. My friend and manager of my sister store (just a couple blocks away) feels the same.

When I got home tonight, I was telling my son about it. What he said made sense, but I still don’t approve. His comment was: Mom, they just want to up the anti. Say they were receiving 50,000 in donations from all the stores. Then they throw in a cruise that costs about $4,000.00. Don’t you think the stores would try harder to move more hearts? Then say they end up getting 70,000 instead of the 50,000. Wasn’t it worth it for them to throw in the cruise?

He is 15 years old and home schooled! Yeah, I’m proud.

Anyway...Fine, so they end up with 16,000 more than they had originally hoped for. Maybe I’m just wearing my heart on my sleeve (no pun intended). But I’ve seen the effects of heart disease. I’ve watched the by-pass surgeries my mother has endured. I’ve watched her go through angioplasty, wondering if she would survive. I’ve set in hospital waiting rooms after my mother has said her final good byes just a few too many times, to get excited about a cruise that is paid for out of donations.

What if that last $4,000.00 was the amount that was needed to finally find a cure?

Now, say the cruise was a donation from the cruise line. I still don’t agree with it. I think it would be better if they donated cash money to help find a cure.

Maybe I’m just old school, but I think people give because it makes them feel good to do so. I fought to move the hearts because I wanted it to be done and over with, but I also wanted to collect money for this cause.

I can not look at one of my customers and ask for a donation now. What if my store won? What would the customers think? “Oh she was just doing it 'cause she wanted the cruise.”

It’s tainted now...the whole thing is just tainted!
© Copyright 2004 Zaring (UN: ginafry at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Zaring has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/277851-Befuddled