*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/284882-Chopin
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #470704
Things I find myself only able to express in words and in this journal - welcome!
#284882 added April 5, 2004 at 5:38pm
Restrictions: None
Chopin
“The Storm” by Kate Chopin presents a negative but nonetheless a classic tale of love–affairs. Calixta, the main female character, has an affair with Alcée Laballière while a storm traps her husband and son at a store. The storm is symbolic of the quick and extreme passion that occurs between Calixta and Alcée. “The Storm” displays a theme of how nature can closely relate to and affect the passion that exists within humans. Use of foreshadowing, imagery, and symbols emphasize the sense of passion found within this “storm” of emotions.
Chopin’s use of foreshadowing within the first paragraph of “The Storm” suggests whatever is going to happen will not a happy event. Bobinôt, Calixta’s husband, points out “certain sombre clouds that were rolling with sinister intention from the west, accompanied by a sullen, threatening roar” (750). Several key words or phrases within this quotation foreshadow future events such as “sombre,” “sinister intention,” “sullen,” and “threatening Sombre normally portrays something gloomy perhaps the possibility of one’s spouse having an affair. Something sinister suggests trouble or evil will follow a particular event like storm clouds rolling in. An affair, in a simple and basic definition, is an act of betrayal–which could be a cause of trouble. Sullen suggests something foreboding and/or gloomy. The description “threatening roar” suggests the future danger that is going to happen and how strong will be.
Section II of “The Storm” also has a few foreshadowing phrases. Calixta feels warm which may be an indication that whatever is going to happen will be very full of passion. Chopin then tells the readers that “[i]t began to grow dark” (750). Perhaps Chopin mentions the change in light because the dark is where the most secretive and wicked events normally take place. Chopin later writes, “She had not seen him very often since her marriage, and never alone” (750-51). It is interesting how Chopin happens to mention this is the first time Calixta has seen Alcée alone, this may make the reader think something will happen, as it inevitably does (750-51). Chopin’s use of foreshadowing presents readers with the possibility of the intense actions that are about to happen.
Most of the imagery in “The Storm” relates to some aspect of nature. Chopin describes Calixta’s face as “warm and steaming” (752). The phrase could make the reader think of a glacier or volcano on the verge of an eruption similar to the affair between Calixta and. Chopin then describes Calixta’s lips by saying they are “red and moist as pomegranate seed” (752). Red can signify such things as danger, lust, and love to one’s mind. Also, a pomegranate is a fruit which many people find desirable to taste. Calixta’s “liquid blue eyes” (752) represents a clear calmness and portrays the color eyes that most people associate with angels, otherwise innocent creatures. In addition to her blue eyes, Calixta also has white skin which is described several times. Also, Calixta has yellow or blonde hair. Most people picture an angel as having curly (Calixta’s is kinky) blonde hair, white skin, and crystal clear blue eyes. After describing Calixta in detail, Chopin says, “The generous abundance of her passion, without guile or trickery, was like a white flame . . . ” (752). Normally the star that is among the hottest is not red, but white. In this case, perhaps the flame gives the readers another chance to realize the extremity of the passion that exists between Alcée and Calixta.
Chopin’s use of symbols allows nature to represent human emotions. Overall, the strongest point of the actual storm represents the climax of the story. This storm represents the fury of the affair that is taking place. Much like the affair there is no clear reason that the storm begins and the storm is short but passionate during its length. Chopin describes the bedroom by saying, “The door stood open, and the room with its white, monumental bed, its closed shutters, looked dim and mysterious” (751). Since white normally represents innocence or purity, Chopin may be suggesting the bed is a sacred place, however it looks “dim and mysterious” (751). Therefore, the bed may be a symbol of how the innocence of marriage is shrouded with an unknown temptation. Chopin later says, “The playing of the lightning was incessant. A bolt struck a tall chinaberry tree at the edge of the field. It filled all visible space with a blinding glare and the crash seemed to invade the very boards they stood upon” (751). The nonstop lightning is comparative to the passion felt between Calixta and Alcée, while it striking the chinaberry tree is their passion harming the sanctity of marriage. The glare and crash could be the effects of their disruption to the traditional bonds of marriage. To signify the end of the affair, several elements of nature end such as thunder and rain. If “the growl of the thunder was [ . . . ] passing away” (753) and thunder represents the intensity of the affair, then perhaps the “passing away” (753) is significant of its death and of the climax of the story.
Chopin uses the various elements of literature to suggest the strong affect of nature on humans and how humans can closely relate to nature. By connecting much of the action in the story to nature elements, Chopin successfully can make many people feel the power of the affair because many people see these elements on a regular basis. It is important to realize how nature can affect humans because often it may indicate what emotions they will feel. “The Storm” by Kate Chopin definitely reflects the power of nature because if the weather did not change, there is a good chance the affair would have never taken place.

© Copyright 2004 TrueSoul137 (UN: truesoul137 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
TrueSoul137 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/284882-Chopin