*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/292102-May-25th-enter-May-26th---Have-and-Have-mores
Rated: 13+ · Book · Contest · #844266
Being used for Daily Writing Challenge - if you were there you know what happened!
#292102 added May 26, 2004 at 11:55am
Restrictions: None
May 25th, enter May 26th - Have and Have mores
Tuesday, May 25th, entered Wednesday, May 26th, 2004

I did absolutely nothing today, and it felt wonderful. I did not think. I did not write. I totally detached myself from everything. I slept almost all day. Sleep is good. Sleep gives the mind and body time to heal. Sleep gives the spirit time to renew itself.

There are many battles that we all must face. There is the eternal battle between good and evil. There are the battles between the flesh and the spirit. There are moral and spiritual battles. There are financial battles being waged daily between retailers, advertisers, marketers, and our restraint as consumers.

Then the powers that be devised credit cards, debit cards, and reverse mortgages.

Before the 1950’s and the advent of Savings and Loans, a home mortgage was relatively unheard of. Homes costs between $5,000 and $15,000, and our grandparents saved furiously to own their homes – The American Dream.

Real Estate is the last bastion of real American wealth. Yet, there are no more local banks that protect the local man and his money. Visa and MasterCard have out paced American Express and Dinner’s Club.

Today, everything is about the almighty dollar. It is about the haves and the have mores.

Why do we need cars and trucks that cost $30,000 and $40,000, and more?

Cars and trucks are a depreciating asset. Our grandparents knew that, and some of our parents knew that. What is it that makes us think that we need a new vehicle with that kind of price tag?

I can remember when cars and trucks were made out of real metal with real metal bumpers. I saw a news clip a few days ago where a four foot alligator actually took a bite out of a cars bumper. I have seen commercials lately that boost about how the side panels deflect objects because things literally bounce off of the plastic surface, which caves in when struck. How many major automotive recalls have we endured from major car and truck manufacturers over the last ten or fifteen years?

Cars and trucks are a DEPRECIATING ASSET. Cars and trucks are being made cheaper and cheaply and we are being duped into paying more and more for them.

The sale of these overpriced cars and trucks is being perpetrated by yet another crime on our society. The misleading and very often nearly criminal financial arrangements offered on these overpriced, cheaply manufactured cars and trucks by the very same manufacturers that produce the cars and trucks that will be eventually recalled.

I admit that it is very unlikely to get enough of the American people to agree on anything that will actually produce any change. I think that I just like saying that I told you so. Yep, this little Southern woman with enough of her own personal problems is taking the time to put it down in black and white for all eternity for all to see that I TOLD YOU SO.

We are all being duped. We are allowing ourselves to be robbed.

Well not me, I never buy a new car. And it is not because I can’t either. I buy a perfectly good 5 or 6 year old car of truck every 4 or 5 years, and guess what? Every pre-owned vehicle I have purchased I have saved thousands and thousands of dollars, because of all the maniacs out there that buy a new vehicle every year or two.

Thank you all for that – and you know who you are.

© Copyright 2004 The Critic (UN: thecritic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
The Critic has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/292102-May-25th-enter-May-26th---Have-and-Have-mores