*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/296631-Sex-and-the-City-Addiction
by fregin
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #764092
life and other extraneous info
#296631 added June 30, 2004 at 3:48pm
Restrictions: None
Sex and the City Addiction
Karen Beth called me today and left this message bitching at me because she wants to see the end of the Sex and the City series, but the problem is that it's not out nor has the production company set a release date for it. I feel the same way she does. I've paid the money for all the DVDs, so what good does it do them to hold out on me now when all I want to do is give them more money?

I've combed the Internet looking for a release date with no luck. All I did find were some synopses that I quickly closed down. I hate finding out an ending before seeing it.

I had caught a couple of episodes when it ran on HBO, and it was entertaining but I didn't get snared into watching it regularly. Since it's vacation time for me, I decided to buy the first season and watch from the beginning and find out what all the hoopla was about. I was not prepared for the absolute addiction I would have for it. I watched the entire first season in one night and then went out the next day and bought the second. I finished the whole thing (except for the very ending, which is being withheld in a cruel manner) about a week ago.

I'm still grappling with what it is that draws me in. I certainly can't relate with buying $450 pairs of shoes. I also don't get the idea that you could meet someone new every week you'd not only want to go on a date with, but who you'd also take home and sleep with. And, I have to say, if I had as many bad experiences with dating as they have, I would have stopped dating altogether.

I guess it's more the concept than the actual details that is so engaging. The characters are all interesting and likeable, even though they have very obvious flaws. I think that is the key for me. I like the parts of people that set them apart from everyone else. Flaws is probably not the right word because, really, who's to say what is right and wrong about a person? Instead, the characters are unique and entertaining. If they were all perfect, how boring would that be?

Of course, for a woman in her thirties, the humor hits very close to home, as well. It is uncanny how well the series captures the views of modern society from both the single and the married perspectives. Granted, both sides are exaggerrated, but that's what makes it so funny.

Well, here's hoping that I manage to avoid hearing what the ending will be before the final disc is released. I just hope the production company quits jacking around with its viewers and lets us give them our money to finally see where the journey ends.

© Copyright 2004 fregin (UN: fregin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
fregin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/296631-Sex-and-the-City-Addiction