*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/298194
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #866998
A handful of college students fight for survival in a Wildlife National Park.
#298194 added July 28, 2004 at 12:54am
Restrictions: None
Chapter IV
“So, how is the plan coming along?”

The teacher mopped some more sweat from the forehead. The voice at the other end of the telephone was demanding and sounded very angry. The teacher feared that the person at the other end might carry out his threat much earlier if compliance from this end did not come through quickly.

“Tell me, Professor! How is it coming along?” the gruff voice asked once again.

“It’s coming along fine, Sardar. The picnic has been announced, thanks to my priming the Principal about it, and all students are very excited at the prospect of visiting Pench.”

“Hmm … That is good news, I must say.”

“I think almost 150-200 students will be attending. We also expect a staff strength of at least ten.”

“That is marvellous.”

“Anything else, Sardar?”

“Yes, there is. I am hoping to clean out a lot of neat stuff, so be sure to tell the students to carry their cameras, mobiles …”

“Yes, yes, I will remember, but Sardar …”

“Yes?”

“It’s going to be a tough group to rob … we’ll all be travelling as a close-knit group, and we will also be having Forest officers as escorts …”
“You mind your own business. Leave this to us.”

“Sir, you have promised not to harm anyone …”

“Of course. And so it shall be. We are not murderers, just dacoits. Why are you asking this?”

“It’ll be on my conscience if any harm should come to any of my students or fellow-staff …”

“Conscience? Conscience! Ha ha … fancy you talking about conscience! Listen, Professor, you know we can reach and harm your whole family in a jiffy. Don’t even try to act smart here. There should be no officers escorting your group. Understand?”

“But … but … how is that possible? I cannot …”

The person at the other end interrupted the teacher impatiently.

“You must. You must. Or else …”

No more words were necessary. The teacher understood perfectly. It would take a lot of effort to get the Forest officials off their back, but it had to be done. He gently put the receiver down.

I dare not even ask him what my share of the booty will be.

The teacher left the staff-room to go and give a lecture to the Third-year students.



© Copyright 2004 Dr Taher writes again! (UN: drtaher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Taher writes again! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/298194