*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/300768
Rated: 13+ · Book · Relationship · #873924
Two Muslim girls, childhood friends, must pay a price to remain friends as adults.
#300768 added August 3, 2004 at 3:53pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter VI
Chapter VI



Chapter VI


The crisp morning air awakened Munira at about half past six. She realised that today was a Sunday, and she would be visiting Nehru Children's Park with her father today. She silently gave a whoop of joy as she brushed her teeth.

I have told Laila about this and she has agreed to ask Fakruddinchachu to bring her to the park as well. Won't it be great if we both meet at the Park?

With the happy thought of meeting her best friend, Munira ran about jauntily as she finished almost half of her house tasks. When she next re-checked, her father was just waking up. She went and snuggled nest to him, and whispered 'Good Morning, abbujaan!' in his ears. Mufazzal opened an eye, and kissed Munira on her forehead.

"Up early today, I see.."

"Yes, abbujaan, you remember you have to take me to Nehru Park today, don't you?" asked Munira with as much respect as she could muster.

Mufazzal was not a morning type of person, and woke up surly and unkempt. However, he saw the twinkle in his daughter's eye and kept his uncharitable thoughts to himself. He smiled weakly and wondered if he would have to make his own tea.

Munira got the hint and raced out to the kitchen to make tea for everyone. Some fifteen minutes later, she was back at Mufazzal's bedside with a hot, steaming 'cuppa'. The latter muttered "Shukran" (thanks) and took the cup from Munira.

He took a grateful sip and said, "When did we agree to go, Munni dear?"

Munira frowned and recalled that they hadn't set up a time to go, but loudly wished it were earlier than later.

Mufazzal laughed at her and said,"Okay, be ready by eleven a.m., and I shall take you there. I have some other business to finish, so off with you now."

Munira went back to the living room and dialled Laila's number.

"Is Laila up, chachi?" she spoke to Laila's mother, who had picked up the phone at the other end.

"Yes, is that Munni?"

"Um..Hmm... Salaam-wa-ale-kum, chachiji, may I speak to her?"

"Of course, beti, and how are you?" replied Chachi, as she summoned Laila to the phone.

"I am fine, thank you." Munira drummed her fingers impatiently on the side table as she waited for Laila.

Laila's voice sounded very chirpy.

"Hi, Munni, how are you?"

"Oh, hi Laila, I am fine. What's up, are you visiting the park today?"

"Yes, I am. Abbu has agreed to come. He wants to know when, though."

"Eleven a.m. okay with you?"

"Wait, let me ask him," said Laila as she placed the receiver on the side and let Munira wait at the other end. Her excited voice was back in a jiffy.

"He says, okay, Inshallah, we will be there by eleven. And oh, Munira, do bring Ludo with you, we will have a great time playing that!"

"Ludo... okay... and you get the throwing ring," replied Munira.

They exchanged some more thoughts on making this a memorable Sunday, and presently, cut the connection.


****


It was almost nine o'clock when Mufazzal finally summoned Zaheer casually into the bedroom. He instructed Munira to remain outside in the hall, and to not eavesdrop on the conversation between father and son.

Zaheer came in lazily, as if still half asleep, which, in point of fact, he was. He greeted his father a bit tardily, and sat down on the bed.

"What is it, Abbu?" he muttered drowsily.

"Good Morning, son, and I trust you are fine?" enquired Mufazzal, his voice a little sharper than usual.

"Yes, I am fine, abbu, and how was your trip?"

"It is regarding my 'trip' that I wish to speak to you." said Mufazzal, the anger beginning to surface in his otherwise harmless words.

Zaheer must have sensed the silent rebuke, because his heart-beat suddenly accelerated.

"What, abbujaan?" he said with a casualness that he no longer felt within himself.

"I was summoned to your school, Zaheer."

"What?"

"I am afraid you can say Good-bye to your dreams of becoming the Head Boy, son."

"Why? Is there something wrong?"

"Wrong? Wrong? Everything is wrong, Zaheer, everything is wrong!" shouted Mufazzal.

"Uhh.. what is?"

"This!" exclaimed Mufazzal as he thrust the envelope with the letters towards Zaheer.

Zaheer opened the envelope and withdrew a bunch of papers. He glanced at the topmost sheet and almost dropped the envelope. He wished he were dead at that moment. His mouth opened with astonishment. A pit opened up in the stomach, and he plopped down on to the sofa.

"I...umm...uh..."

"Good that at least you acknowledged that you have written those letters!" said Mufazzal with as much hostility as he could muster.

"I... never... meant to have those letters read by anyone...Abbujaan, honest!"

"I am ashamed to call you my son. I never thought you would write such... such... tripe.... such obscenity... such vulgarity!"

Mufazzal approached Zaheer and slapped him twice on the cheeks. Zaheer recoiled with terror on his face. This was the first time in years that his father had slapped him.

The sudden commotion brought Munira into the room. She looked at the scene and choked a cry.

"What happened, Abbu?" she asked her father.

"I explicitly asked you to stay in the hall, did I not?" said Mufazzal, his face still looking angry.

"I am sorry, but I heard you shouting, and then the noise of sl..."

"That will be all, Munira, leave NOW!" said Mufazzal.

Tears falling down her cheeks, Munira ran back into the hall. It was a complete riddle to her as to why her father had been so upset with Zaheer bhaijaan. She went into the kitchen where Fatmabi was just winding up the cooking.

"Khaalajaan, please help bhaijaan!" she told Fatmabi with urgency.

"What happened? Why is Mufazzalbhai angry on Zaheer?" asked Fatmabi.

"I don't know, khaalajaan, but please go and intervene, please!"

"You know I can't do that, beti; it's not my station to interfere," said Fatmabi helplessly.

Presently she left, Munira looking at her receding back despondently.

Zaheer came out after almost another fifteen to twenty minutes, his face still red from the slaps, and his head hanging with shame. He looked at Munira and immediately averted his eyes.

He picked up his satchel from where it was next to the television set, and without so much as glancing at Munira, he left the house - in what seemed to Munira - a huff.

Munira tried to stop him with a "What's wrong bhaijaan, wait..", but Zaheer did not look back.
Perplexed and worried, she went into the bedroom to ask her father once again the reason for all that had just transpired in their house. Mufazzal was, however, in no mood to reply to her repeated pleas to tell her what had happened.

He simply walked past Munira into the hall, saying merely, "Be ready by eleven for your outing, Munni."

(End of Chapter VI)
© Copyright 2004 Dr Taher writes again! (UN: drtaher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Taher writes again! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/300768