*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/305022-Espa--Norva---3---Noyanak
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #885106
One day I hope this to be Published
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#305022 added September 3, 2004 at 1:56pm
Restrictions: None
Espa Norva - 3 - Noyanak
ESPA NORVA
3
NOYANAK



Today I am allowed out. Only so people don’t worry about me, so my aunt says. But today is the only time I can show what I can do. Of course the boy will not understand. But that is the point. The prophecy clearly stated that he who... I shall not say. This is a book not a locked safe. The secrets are easily spilled. I must leave for him. The snows will come and we all will leave when that happens. We are still far far away.
27.09.12



Scorpio stood just inside the door. Waiting for Cilia. She rested her hand on the banister gently and descended from the landing like a queen might.
“Are you ready?” He asked her, as if nothing had happened yesterday.
“Are you?”
He frowned but opened the door. He watched her face, a brief fear flashed across her face.
“You don’t have to come.”
“I do Scorpio. I really do.” She took his arm and let him pull her out the door.

The morning was chill and refreshing but the alley ways Cilia led him through were heartless.
“Stick you hands up and empty your pockets.” A voice from behind them said roughly.
Cilia began to shake violently.
Scorpio turned around angrily. A gang of boys stood with small guns in their hands. He smiled wryly, “I see you have my brother’s toy guns.” He laughed, humourlessly, “They make good pea shooters.”
The boys did not think it funny at all. But their faces showed their discomfort.
One, the apparent leader stepped forward, “Just hand over your money.”
“I have no money. Just like you.” He drew his knife behind his back. “Drop the gun.”
Respect was commanded in his voice. Authority hung in the air. There was no doubt in anyone’s mind who would win a fight. The leader dropped his gun.
“I thought so. Just a paint ball gun.” He turned to Cilia, “Are you all right?”
Her head nodded but her back was turned still and he knew that in her eyes was fear.
“I am Scorpio of Greendale.” He used the words from Espa Norva’s letter, “We are going to see a friend and you will not stop us. If you want you can wait here until our return and try again but it will not be successful.”
“Oh. Sorry.” The gang looked truly apologetic, “We didn’t know who you were.”

Confused but pleased with the results he told Cilia to lead on. She did as she was told. She was no longer shaking but gripped his hand again with a strange passion in her eyes.
“Just up here.” She whispered. Before he knew it they were inside a crumbling old building and moving up a flight of stairs behind the fireplace.

A tall, light haired boy was sitting cross legged in the middle of the room, gazing deeply into space.
“Espa?” Cilia said tentatively.
The boy opened his eyes to the real world before him, “Hello Cilia. Scorpio.”
Scorpio did not like this place. It had a strange sense of foreboding concealed in its walls.
“Sit down. I think i need to explain why you are both here.”
“Might help.” Scorpio said more sharply than he intended.
“I can understand if you’re cautious Scorpio but try to trust me here.”
“It’s not that it’s...” The sound of police sirens caught in his ears, “It’s that.” He felt like Cilia must have when he had taken her outside. He wanted to run, but unlike Cilia, he made himself completely calm and spoke again, “They know where we are. We should get out of here.”
Espa seemed to consider his words for a moment, “Yes. You’re right.” The strange boy closed his eyes briefly, “We shall head for Sanctuary. I might as well stay there for a while. No real reason to go back just yet.” He rose and helped Cilia to her feet. She was not looking all that happy. Her eyes were shining, with tears or something else Scorpio did not know but he followed Espa and Cilia to outside road.
“Will those boys be there again?” Cilia whispered to Scorpio.
“Maybe. Probably at least one will try again.”

The way was lighter than before. The sun was higher and the alleys seemed less foreign. They passed the gang and most of them bowed to them as they passed. One even started to follow them. As Espa did nothing, nor did Scorpio. Somehow they agreed it was all right without words or eye contact. Cilia however started to tremble and Scorpio squeezed her hand reassuringly. As they approached Sanctuary she fled indoors and sat on the stairs panting from the increasing fear. The strange boy followed.
Scorpio eyed him up and down. The boy had flaming orange hair and sparkly green eyes that gave away his mischievous streak. His face was speckled with freckles and was very tanned. He had a great long scar running down his face that reminded Scorpio painfully of his own face and the massive bruising he still saw every day.
“Who are you?” He said after a moments silence.
“Budu. That’s what they call me.” Said the boy looking at the ground, “But me real name is Alexander or Alec.”
“Ok Alec.” Espa stole what Scorpio wanted to say, “Why did you follow us.”
The scar answered everything at the boy’s touch, “Because I can’t stay at home.”

“Who are they Scorpio?” Jann asked quietly.
Espa laughed, “So you don’t recognise me. Espa Norva.” He held out his hand. Jann took it with a look of open astonishment on his face.
“Thank you.” Jann said lowering his head.
“And this is Alec.” Espa introduced the boy, “He’s a new friend.”
This was news to Scorpio. As pleasant as Alec seemed he knew that he was not telling them the complete truth of why he had followed them.

The dinner that Hazel made was as good as usual. Sausage and chips covered with vinegar filled Scorpio to the brim. He had only just realised what a dangerous game he was playing. He was living in a world of lies and deceit that ran through just about everyone about him. He drifted away from the smells of sausage and the noises of his friends and fell into a torture of questions that stole him.
What was going on? Why had that gang acted so differently once they had known his name? Who was Alec? And Who was Espa Norva? What was going on?
“Scorpio.” Leo asked tentatively, knowing what mood his brother was in, “Where did you go? Why couldn’t I go?”
“We went to see Espa. You were needed here and if I’d have taken you you might have been hurt.” Scorpio answered with no expression in his voice. “I’ll take you if there’s a next time.”
Espa looked at Scorpio quizzically, “Something wrong?”
The room fell very quiet.
“It’s not important.”
“It is if it’s bothering you.”
“Well it’s just that you...” Scorpio began. Espa nodded a vague look on his face.
“Yes. I see... We can talk about that later.”

Cilia, Espa and Scorpio were alone. Espa had explained all. From the chilling tale of his life and why he had summoned Scorpio to the dark secret he was sworn to protect. The blond haired survivor had frozen Scorpio to the bone. What was this about an evil rising from the shadows of spelled sleep and darkness growing ever closer.
According to Espa it had been happening through out the centuries.That over the centuries the disturbances had been forgotten but now it was coming again. The Thing that was even now being awoken and that even now was slowly crawling towards the time when It would come and take over the world. In doing that, Espa continued, the whole world would fall into chaos and the The Dark Thing would live off the hatred in the human souls until It had devoured them all.
“But how does that work?” Scorpio interrupted. He did not like what he was hearing, “If there is a Thing that has been coming over and over again through out the centuries then surely it would be dead by now. I mean come on. Who would choose that sort of Darkness to live?”
Espa looked at him curiously, “I don’t know but in the past i it has happened.”
I really don’t like this. Thought Scorpio. I really don’t like this.
“And now it is happening again.”
“I really don’t like this.” Scorpio thought out loud.
Espa smiled wanly, “Like I do.”
Cilia slid her hand into Scorpio’s and squeezed it reasurringly, “I don’t think anyone does.”
“How many others know?” Scorpio asked, “It includes us doesn’t it?”
“Unfortunately yes, but only you, I and Cilia know this truth.”
“Then why aren’t we telling everyone here?” Cilia questioned.
“Because they have been listening outside that door ever since we bagan to talk.” Espa grinned. “Come on in.”

Jann, Hazel, Fallouce Alec and Leo guiltily trooped inside. Leo saw Scorpio and ran over to him. Flinging his arms about his neck as if he had not seen his brother for years. The little boy laughed, “It’s just like mummy’s old stories Scorp. The one’s she used to tell us at Samhain. About how she and daddy fought the big monster and then it raised an army and so they had to raise an army but they were only kids so no one would listen except their friends but then they were all given magic powers and then they all combined the powers and they got rid of the army and then.......”
“Shhh.” Scorpio said softly, “I get the point.”
“What happened after they got rid of the army of baddies? I’ve forgotten Scorp.”
“The Monster was called a Noyanak. It had grown stronger because of the battle they had just won and stole mum. The monster wanted her to be his wife but dad finally realised he loved her and was so angry he searched for thee monster and blasted the Noyanak into space where he and mum and the rest of them followed him. They fought in the depths of space, passed the rings of Saturn and the frost of Pluto. Past the stars into emptiness. Together they cried a word and the word could never be remembered but it cursed the Noyanak into an spelled sleep until one was born that could defeat it.” Scorpio spoke robotically, Unaware of anything around him, “‘But it was awake by that time wasn’t it?’ You used to ask her. Everytime. You used to say that it already was awake because nothing could sleep for years on end.” He looked down at his brother desperately and his voice changed to a scathing note, “If only....... She had listened to you.” A dark cruel laugh echoed around the room. Scorpio paled and fell back.
Leo shook his shoulders. What was wrong with his brother? This had happened at home too but Scorpio had never spoken like that before. Nor ever looked at him like that before. “Scorp.” The world had slowed down to a dreadful crawl, “Scorp. Wake up.”
Cilia and Espa exchanged glances. Leo did not hear what Espa was saying but everyone but Cilia and Leo left the room. Jann came up behind the Lion and lifted him away from his brother. He screached loudly and struggeled with all his might, tears flowing down his face again but Jann carried him out. All Leo saw was Scorpio pale and motionless on the floor.

© Copyright 2004 Dr Matticakes Myra (UN: dragoon362 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr Matticakes Myra has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/305022-Espa--Norva---3---Noyanak