*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/305319-CHAPTER-ONE
Rated: ASR · Book · Fantasy · #885965
Adventure into the fantastical world of an underground society...
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#305319 added September 1, 2007 at 7:13pm
Restrictions: None
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER ONE

Melly walked aimlessly through the small, dingy town. Its dirty, unpaved streets and even dirtier people were nowhere near pleasing to the eye. She was seemingly innocent at first glance, if a little out of place among the filthy city. That may have been one reason she was an excellent assassin. Standing at five feet and weighing only 95 pounds, no one would figure such a petite and unassuming Elven girl, who could only count nineteen years, capable of, well... murder. She was definitely not the prettiest girl, but it was better that way. Though not considered ugly, she was inconspicuous and didn't draw attention to herself that way. The passersby in the town barely noticed her slim form as they brushed past. Melly, all the while kept a stern face and cold eyes.

She made it to the outskirts of town where one of the entrances to the Underground was located. She entered the forest and kept walking until she came to the river. Between two identical trees was the hidden entrance. A small tunnel this one was, just small enough for it to seem like an animal's den. Melly knew better. The underground was one of the chosen networks of caverns made either naturally or by hand after hours of meticulous chipping. It provided a secluded, tight knit, and extremely exclusive society away from the normal villagers, away from prying eyes, gossip. Far enough away from the normal civilization to be relaxing in it's own way- for people of the same occupation line to reside without fear of being discovered.

It was simply referred to as the Underground by its inhabitants, which consisted almost entirely of Elves. The reason being, many centuries ago, a small band of Elven revolutionaries dared to challenge the once overbearing aristocracy. After their short imprisonment and trial they were banished, yet somehow managed to escape into a set of small catacombs underground. Some resorted to thievery to survive, others depended on acquiring work as assassins. As their legacy turned to legend, the population in the underground grew. It expanded into many different underground caves like a rabbit’s warren underneath the cities. Thus, the large Underground society, specializing in all things unscrupulous was formed. As the groups migrated and panned out, leaders were chosen to head the groups and supervise the training of new members.

Most of the underground's inhabitants came from long lines of assassins, or thieves, or spies, and had lived in the underground since birth. Although, not everyone was qualified for the line of work. Sometimes those of more ordinary talents found jobs working for the underground; the assassin was the minority occupation in the underground. Drammle tended to be picky about whom he assigned assassin's jobs to. More common were thieve. Yet, undeniably, there was always a need for the more common and "normal" jobs such as working the kitchens, or even servitude to the more esteemed in the underground.

Melly had been dropped on a stranger's doorstep in a dreary part of town soon after her brother Aaron’s birth. Melly was three. As fate would have it, their caretakers were part of the underground assassination company that had connections with almost every unscrupulous person in the country. Melly and Aaron, the poor foundlings, were brought up as any normal child associated with the underground. They were forced to work for them, as pickpockets at first until their "skills" were perfected. Once Drammle saw them as valuable they began to receive pay for their "services." Though both siblings eventually became excellent assassins, Melly’s talents extended further than her younger brother’s. The days of forced labor were over. Melly retained absolute freedom from any responsibility, with the respect she earned she usually selected her jobs.

Melly was well thought of and treated with utmost respect. There was only one above her, Drammle, an old assassin, wise in his ways and as sharp as ever. He was the only one who could make Melly do anything. Even her own iron will could not withstand his.

As she wormed her way in headfirst down the tunnel, Melly came tumbling down the sleek wooden chute, landing roughly in a pile of stuffed rags and hay. Picking the hay out of her long curly light brown hair, she made her way to where the council of the Underground usually met. Through a series of caverns and cave dwellings she meandered, nodding to people she knew as she went.

As she neared the inner chambers of the caves, her ears picked up the whispering voices of the council. Melly entered and the entire council stood in greeting, except Drammle. Melly nodded and they were seated once more. She took her place beside Drammle. His face was wrinkled and old, but had dark piercing eyes and strong cheekbones alluding to a time long ago when Drammle had been the favored young male. Now, he was the founder and keeper of this particular Underground.

Seated in a circle around him, the elder members and the important leaders turned watchful gazes to their superiors. There was Simone and Jasper, the second and third best assassins, Gavin and Imaru, who were teachers, Drake, the weapons keeper, Geovan, who could do just about anything, Rielle, the sly thief, and Jenae, the supply manager. There were several others but these were Melly's friends, and though few, they were all she needed.

"It is done." Melly whispered.

Drammle glanced at the guard on his side and who immediately produced a small sack of gold coins from her employer. After permission to leave from Drammle, Melly wandered off to her quarters. On the way she met several of her safe keepers, or her money holders. She never carried any money on her person, but left it in the care of several for whenever she needed it. No one touched her money or kept any for themselves either from loyalty to their teacher or just out of cold fear. Melly had so many connections one would never know if a person had been commissioned to kill. Her hard practicality won her respect, but did not supply an abundance of friends.

She breathed a small sigh as she reached her room. Like any other assassin’s quarters it was void of light until a candle could be lit. However, having spent the better part of her nineteen years of life underground, she had acquired the ability to see in the dimmest parts of the cave. The interior of her quarters was kept simple, a heap of cloth served as a comfortable bed. A small trunk stood in the corner containing her clothes and a small table and a chair adorned the left wall. Melly struck two flint stones and lit the candle which immediately threw it's comforting light across the room. She sighed again and tossed herself down on the makeshift bed and slept peacefully and dreamlessly. Most assassins did not dream; Melly had not had any that she could remember. It was probably better that way. Even assassins had to live with their memories, no use letting their subconscious torture their minds.

Not long after she fell asleep one of her assassins in training approached her room. Even in her sleep, Melly could sense the footsteps and awoke long before the visitor arrived. She sat up and pushed her hair over one shoulder and rubbed her eyes. Soon the figure darkened the "doorway" which was actually a hole in the wall of the cave to make this room. She heard the familiar click of the tongue, a secret greeting to notify one's presence.

"Enter." Melly said pulling her legs up under her.

A young man in his late teens entered, clad in the traditional black cloaks and hood. "What do you want, Roarke?", she asked blandly, flopping back down onto the bed. "Drammle.... he says he wishes to speak to you... I'm sure it's urgent.... I don't know if you've heard it but..." the young man trailed off, his eyebrows knit in worry. Melly sprang up and grabbed his shoulders, shaking him violently. She only had so much patience and she used most of it during work.

"What?! WHAT?!" she demanded.

Roarke squirmed under her stare, "I..... I'm not permitted to say really, Drammle wants you to-" He was cut off by Melly shoving him out of the way and barreling through the door, down to the deepest part of the cave- Drammle's quarters. Adrenaline caused by fear raced through her blood, sweeping over her. A cold sweat broke out over her face.... if this had anything to do with the Cobran Kingdom's "situation" this was important.

She blindly shoved past elders and other training assassins, causing a general panic everywhere. Soon, nervous twitters resounded throughout the caverns. Assassin families decided to lay low in their quarters, their children questioning them curiously. She slowed as she neared Drammle's quarters, her heart pounding in her throat. She steeled herself then pushed the wooden door open slowly.

Drammle was seated at his work desk, head in hands and rubbing his temples. His balding head gleamed in the candlelight. His wereeyes tired and sad. He turned slowly to Melly, who was standing in the door frame, clutching it tightly. Drammle looked up and nodded sagely, Melly's heart sank; she knew what came next.

"You..... It has been done? What brought word of it?!" Melly said tossing herself at his feet. "Aaron! What of Aaron!" she pleaded, wringing her hands. Drammle looked at her mournfully and Melly's heart broke into a million pieces. Her brother, her only relative! Not Aaron, please! Her head screamed.

Without saying a word, he hung his head. Silent, vengeful tears spilled down her face in torrents. She sat this way for a few agonizing moments with no comfort from the old, hardened assassin. On a rapid exhalation of breath, she violently pawed the tears away and stood stiffly again, "I will avenge my brother's death." she said coldly. Then, for the first time in a long while, Drammle spoke,

"I figured as much, you will find that our first runner, Riyadh, has already left to tell the others to prepare your comings."

Melly rose her eyebrows, "S-so, you consent?" Drammle nodded. A messenger appeared at the door, "The provisions are ready,” he said setting a small leather shoulder bag on the ground before leaving again. "How long have you known? When did it happen? How?!" Melly said a rush of questions filling her head quicker than she could spout them.

"I have just learned he was captured in Cobran three months ago-" Melly cut him off, "I knew I should have done that job, there were other jobs he could have taken on..." she said mournfully. Drammle waited patently for her to regain her bearings then continued, "He was accused by the Siren’s Court of murder and theft and thrown into the dungeons where he was recently.... killed by one of his cell mates." Drammle heaved a racking sigh. Melly's heart was in turmoil, it was normal not to hear from her brother in several months but why didn't she expect this!? This could have been prevented! Her brother had always been eager to prove himself to the council, but mostly to his sister, whose skills he could not hope to match.

The Sirens were a cruel race, Melly thought bitterly. They used their charms and their appearances of which they were so vain to lure their captives in. They held trials for fun and enjoyed enforcing various, “creative” methods of punishment.

"I shall leave immediately." Melly said straitening her stature, her face set in determination. She picked up the leather bag and slung it over her shoulder. "Goodbye!" she called, clicking her tongue as she left the dark room.

In haste, Melly made her way to the weaponry. Drake met her there, "Melly... I'm so sorry...." he said laying a hand on her shoulder.

"Don't touch me." Melly hissed shrugging him off, gods word travels fast! He backed off. Melly had known forever that he was more than slightly taken with her, he worshiped the ground she walked on and was an eager friend. Melly made her way to the case with the daggers and she selected an array that would do nicely. She was in the process of strapping them to her wrists and inside her boots when Drake spoke, "Are... are you leaving?" he asked softly.

"Yes." she answered shortly, putting two more daggers in the hidden folds of her cloak. She grabbed a spear to serve as a walking stick and turned back to Drake, "Goodbye." she said smiling feebly.

Drake sighed, "I knew you would go... please, let me go with you." he offered.

Melly shook her head, "He was my brother and I will honor his memory by avenging him myself."

"Melly, You can't go alone." he said soberly, almost a whisper.

"And why not?!" she asked, raising her voice.

Drake backed away, "Because. It's impossible to get into Cobran! They have spies in the Underground there! Assassins and thieves are giving up, finding new trades!"

"So?!" Melly said, anger rising.

"SO?! You'll be killed! Don't you care!?" he asked taking her shoulders. His mousy brown hair fell over his eyes and he looked truly upset.

"Grow up! OK? Grow up! This is my brother we're talking about! My ONLY family, dead! Tell me, what would YOU do?!" she asked fiercely, backing away from him.

Drake dropped his hands and sighed, "And you won't let me come with you?" he asked.

"Why? So you can get killed too? What are you trying to prove here?" she asked. One minute he was saying surely I would be killed and the next, he offers to sacrifice himself. "You stay here and teach the new guys; take my place while I'm gone. I'll be fine." she said.

Drake lowered his head, "Fine. I wish you luck, though I could never fill your place." He then kissed her forehead and left the room before she could knock him up against the wall. Melly was stunned; Drake had never dared to touch her. With a heavier heart, she picked up her things once more and walked slowly to the entrance to the caves, others peering out of their quarters looked on knowingly and respectfully. One of their own was leaving and no one was sure if she would return.
© Copyright 2007 §k¥lår*ñêvêr*§ïmþl¥ (UN: ralyks at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
§k¥lår*ñêvêr*§ïmþl¥ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/305319-CHAPTER-ONE