*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307568-Brovan
by Trisha
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #890683
When humans kill a fairy, his wife seeks revenge against the species. Book 1 FINISHED!
#307568 added September 26, 2004 at 3:44pm
Restrictions: None
Brovan
They’d traveled through the northwest of Chasilin. It did one’s heart good to see green grass and blooming flowers when the last time it was seen was when it was all black and gray with smoke and fire. The stench of blood and rotting flesh was replaced by the sweet aftermath of a fresh rainfall. For Zander it proved that a new era was dawning. This was Chasilin’s day.

Zander and his party reached the Jaladar Mountains in a week. The Pring pass was still covered in snow, but they were able to cross it with little mishaps. Zander had expected to feel a shock or jolt when they first stepped into Brovan. He waited for something in the air that would show how evil the land was. But nothing happened. As they continued traveling, he found that there were hills, woods, valleys, meadows, lakes, and rivers just like in Chasilin. The Brovanians were a little darker in color, but otherwise they were people who worked in the fields like the Chasilians.

Rosemarie spoke Brovanian the best. She was the one who was able to get them more food and supplies from farmers who were suspicious about foreigners. She was able to get permission for them to sleep in several barns along the way. The rest of the time they made camp. They were heading toward the middle of the country. There, Zander was to meet with Bertram. Bertram had been residing in a town called Wedimell, which was situated between two of the biggest cities in Brovan. Each city, Felia and Tabith, was roughly 30 miles from Wedimell. Anyone going to either city had to pass through the town. 60 miles northwest of Felia lay Akinsis, the capital. This made Wedimell an ideal spot for gathering information.

Bertram had been living in Wedimell for three years. He had gotten a job as head groom at an inn called the Silver Rose. There he was able to gather all the reports of the whereabouts and happenings of the other Chasilians in the country.

Zander and his party rode into Wedimell on a cloudy April afternoon. By the time they figured out where the inn was, a light shower drizzled down. The Silver Rose sat on land a couple miles away from the rest of the town. The huge three-story building was surround by bushes and climbing vines. The small party rode up to the front door. Two young men ran out to meet them.

“We’ll take care of your horses and bags,” the men shouted up to them. “Go on inside and dry off.”

They dismounted and walked inside. The door opened into a large hall. At the end of the hall was a large staircase that led to the second and third floors. They could hear voices coming from a door to the right. The door opened and a woman walked through.

“Hello,” she said. “I’m Jassy Hather, innkeeper. Do you need a room?”

“Yes,” Rosemarie said.

“Follow me,” Jassy said.

She led them through another door. The room was filled with books, papers, and chests. A desk sat in the middle of the room. Jassy sat behind the desk and opened a book. She picked up a quill pen and dipped it in ink.

“I need to know how rooms you need and who will stay in each room,” she said.

Zander leaned over and whispered to Rosemarie.

“We’ll have three rooms,” she said. “One for Zander and Ren. One for Eric and Nelson; and one for me.”

“Your name,” Jassy asked?

“Rosemarie.”

Jassy wrote some things next to the names.
“Do you have any room preferences?”

“No.”

“Is there anything we need to be aware of?”

They all stiffened. Jassy noticed.
“I mean do any of you have an illness that may need attending to while you’re here. Or do you need certain items in your room or something like that.”

“Oh, no,” Rosemarie said.

“Very good then,” she said. “We charge 12 lerts per day for a room. This includes three meals a day and tea. If you need more to eat, it is extra. If you’ll be staying here long term, someone will clean you room once every other week. For 2 more lerts, we can have someone clean your room everyday; otherwise, it is your responsibility. We have the right to force you to leave if we need to. You can roam about the grounds whenever you like, but we lock all but the front door at 10pm. They are reopened at 5am. Someone is always at the door during this time. Breakfast is from 6-9am, lunch 11-1, and dinner 4-8. If you miss any meals, there are restaurants in town.” Jassy took a breath.

“Now, three rooms will be 36 lerts a day. I need you to pay the first day right now. For the first week of your stay you can pay daily. After that, you must pay weekly.”

Ren took out a coin purse and paid her 36 lerts. She took the coins and recounted them twice. Then she wrote the number down. Replacing the pen in the inkstand, she called, “Michah, Lem, come here.”

The two boys who’d taken their horses came in the doorway.

“Yes, Mom?” They said.

She looked down at the ledger.
“Take these gentlemen and the lady to rooms 3B-5B.” She said handing them three keys.

“Yes ma’am.”

The boys gathered their now wet bags and headed for the stairs.

“This way,” they said over their shoulders.

Zander turned his head as they climbed the staircase. Jassy closed the door and locked it. Looking up at them, she smiled.

“Have a pleasant stay at the Silver Rose Inn,” she said.

On the second floor they turned left. Going down the hall, they made another right.

“This place is big,” Ren said.

“Our parents added this part to the inn a few years ago,” one of the boys said. “We had too many customers and no place to put them.”

“I’ve seen an inn this big before,” Nelson said.

“It’s the biggest in Wedimell,” the boy said. “But there are bigger ones in the cities.”

“When rich people travel between Felia and Tabith they want the best,” the second boy said. “And this is it.”

“Do you get a lot of wealthy people?” Zander
asked.

“Every single one that comes through.”

“What about nobles?” He asked.

“Them too. Unless they know Lord Keinan, then they go to the manor.”

“And… and do the royals come here?”

“No,” the first one said, “they don’t travel much.”

“Yeah,” said the second one, “they sit up in their palace in Akinsis watching the rest of world toil in labor. And as far as we’re concerned, they can stay there.”

“I take it you don’t like them much,” Zander said.

“No one likes them, do they, Lem?” The first one said.

“No one I know,” Lem said.

Zander let this information sink in.

“Well, here are your rooms,” Michah said. “Who has which one?”

Zander and his party exchanged looks.

“I have my own room,” Rosemarie said.

“You should take 4B,” Lem said, “it’s across the hall from the others.” He put the key in her hand.

“Nelson and I have a room together,” Eric said.

“Here’s 3B,” Lem said. “And that leaves 5B for you two.”

Rosemarie reached for her bag.

“I’ve got it,” Michah said. “If you’ll open the door I’ll take it in for you.”

Rosemarie unlocked her door and walked into the room. Michah followed her and set her bag down. Then he crouched next to the fireplace to start the fire. The other men went into their rooms and Lem went to start their fires. In each room there was a bed big enough for three people to sleep in. Next to the bed was a nightstand with a bowl, pitcher, and washcloth. A chest lay at the foot of the bed and drawers on one of the walls. There was a chair next to the fireplace. A small desk and stool with pen, ink, and paper stood in one corner. At the other corner was a porcelain bucket. There was another table with a chair that had candles and matches on it.

“That’s there if you want to eat in your room,” Michah explained. “And if you want a bath, just ask one of us or Mama or Papa.”

Michah finished the fire.
“Is there anything you need?” He asked.

“No,” Rosemarie said.

“Dinner has already started, so you can get something to eat.”

“Can I have it brought up here? I’m really tired.”

“Of course, I’ll get Wenda to bring it up.”

“Thank you.”

“If you need anything, come downstairs to the dining room. It’s through the big doors on the first floor,” Michah said leaving the room.

Rosemarie lay across her bed. She began to doze off when she heard a knock at the door. Forcing herself to get up, she opened it. Zander and Ren stood on the other side. She let them in. They sat in the chairs while she sat on the chest.

“We thought it’d be best if we meet in your room,” Zander said. “People might question a woman coming alone into a man’s room.”

“Eric and Nelson will be coming shortly,” Ren said, pulling his chair close to the fire.

Another knock brought Eric and Nelson in. No one said anything. They waited for Zander to speak first.

“We can breath a little easier,” he said, “we’ve made it here. Now I’ll find Bertram and I’ll let you know when we will meet. If it’s all right with Rosemarie, we’ll meet in her room. For now, I want everyone to get some rest.”

A loud rap came at the door. Rosemarie slowly got up. She wasn’t sure who it could be. For a moment, fear gripped her as she remembed what had been behind the door once a long time ago. Timidly, she put her hand on the knob. Then suddenly she remembered that there were four men behind her who were all expert swordsmen. With that thought, she swung the door open so fast it banged against the wall. A startled young woman jumped back on the other side.

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” Rosemarie blurted.

“Its… its… alright…” the woman said in ragged breaths. “I brought your… dinner.”

The tray of food trembled in the woman’s grasp.

“I’m terribly sorry… um…” Rosemarie paused.

“Wenda,” the woman said.

“I’m sorry Wenda, I thought you were someone else.”

Wenda smiled weakly.

“Whoever you thought I was had better watched out,” Wenda said, handing the tray to Rosemarie.
Zander stood next to Rosemarie.

“Is everything alright?” He asked.

“Oh, yes,” Wenda said. “Your wife just startled me. That’s all.”

“She’s not my wife,” Zander said quickly. “We’re just friends.”

“Oh.” Wenda said. “Oh. I didn’t see the others. I’m sorry… Well, enjoy your dinner.”

Wenda curtsied and left.

“Sorry,” Rosemarie shouted after her.

Wenda waved and smiled. Then she clutched her chest as she turned the corner. Rosemarie set the tray down on the table.

“That smells good,” Eric said.

“I think we’re done for today,” Zander said. “Just don’t tell anyone anything until we’ve met with Bertram.”

The other men stood.

“Let’s go downstairs and get something eat,” Nelson said as they headed for the door. “I could eat a cow.”

Nelson, Eric, and Ren noisily walked into the hallway. Zander put a hand on Rosemarie’s shoulder.

“Are you alright?” He asked.

“Yes,” she answered quickly, “I’m fine.”

“Good,” he said, removing his hand. “Get some sleep.”

Rosemarie watched Zander and the others disappear around the corner before closing the door.
© Copyright 2004 Trisha (UN: sharnises at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Trisha has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307568-Brovan