*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307570-Runaway
by Trisha
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #890683
When humans kill a fairy, his wife seeks revenge against the species. Book 1 FINISHED!
#307570 added September 26, 2004 at 4:27pm
Restrictions: None
Runaway
A warm breeze filled with the scent of roses caressed her face. It reminded her of her mother’s rose garden. Her eyes watered at the thought of her home and mother. She missed them so much. But she could never return. Never… With that last thought, she rubbed the tears from her cheeks.

Gently, she nudged Alsbury and they slowly went up the carriage wide walkway. She stopped in front of the door. There was no one outside and she didn’t a horse post to tie Alsbury to. Standing in the stirrups, she saw a tree on the lawn that would do. After securely tying her horse to the tree, she took her two bags down. Then she patted Alsbury neck.

“I’ll find out if they have a stable somewhere,” she told him. “And some water so you can have drink.”
Alsbury bent his neck to nibble at the grass.

“At least you don’t have to worry about eating,” she said as her own stomach growled. “I’ll return for you.” She gave his black hairs one last stroke before heading for the front doors.

She entered a wide hall with a staircase that ran up to the third floor at the far end. Doors stood in the walls of the hall. Some open, others not. The buzz of many conversations and the clatter of dishes flowed from open double doors. A man and woman walked out of that room.

“Why don’t we take a little stroll before we turn in? It’ll give our supper time to settle.” The man asked.

“Oh, Edwin, we haven’t done that since we were courting,” the woman said, taking his arm. “I’d love to.”

They smiled and nodded at her as they walked out of the inn and into the warm night. The smell of warm food wafted from the doors they had come through. She found a large dining room with many people sitting at the tables. They ate, talked, laughed, and drank. A few girls walked around carrying trays with plates of bread and cheese, bowls of stew, and mugs of beer. Marina’s mouth watered and her stomach loudly growled. A girl with auburn curls hanging out from under her cap and a soiled apron walked by carrying several mugs.

“Excuse me,” Marina called after the girl, “excuse me!” The girl stopped. “Would you please seat me?”

“Can’t you see I’m busy?!” The girl snapped. “Seat yourself!”

“Wenda!” A man yelled. “C’mon with our beers!”

“But where?” Marina asked.

“Find somewhere!” Wenda shouted over the noise.
Wenda hurried off to a nearby table and set the mugs down.

“What took ya? We dying of thirst over here,” a man shouted as she placed a beer in front of him.

“I’m sorry,” Wenda said, “it’s been a very busy night. You should be glad to have gotten anything!”

“Just for that smart remark, no tip,” the man said.
Wenda slammed the last mug of beer down. The man slapped her bottom as she turned. Huffing loudly, she stormed off. The men laughed after her. Marina watched her disappear behind a door at the back.

Looking around Marina spotted the only table that wasn’t occupied. Quickly making her way to it, she sat down and waited for someone to serve her. Minutes crawled by. Marina’s hunger made her body tremble. She watched several girls walk by with trays full of food. Why weren’t they serving her? Turning her head, she watched a young black-haired man walk in. He made a beeline for the table in front of her. Several men and a woman were already eating at the table. He greeted them. Their heads shot up like grazing deer at the first sign of danger.

“We went ahead and got our supper. I hope that’s all right, Zander,” one of the men at the table said to the newcomer.

“That’s fine,” Zander said, sitting. “I’m sure Wenda will be by shortly.”

Marina snorted at the mention of the rude server’s name. This place was terrible. She’d never have to wait this long for food at any other inn. Most places rushed to make sure a person got their first course quickly. She glared at an old man as his third mug of beer was placed in front of him. Jealously, she watched a small boy try to fit a huge spoonful of stew into his tiny mouth. Most of the chunks of carrots, potatoes, beef, and juice dribbled down his chin and onto his lap.

Wenda came bursting through the back door with a tray full of bowls of stew. She began setting them on a table, when she looked in Marina’s direction. Smiling, she snatched up the bowl she had just set down. The fat man protested, but Wenda didn’t seem to hear him. She briskly walked in Marina’s direction with two bowls in her hands. Marina grinned. Finally. Someone had noticed her. She moved her hands off the table to make way for the steaming bowl. Wenda’s eyes sparkled as she reached the table. Marina readied herself to graciously receive her supper.

Then Wenda made a sudden turn. Instead of placing a bowl in front of Marina, she set it by that man…

“I didn’t see you come in, Zander,” Wenda said smiling.

“I was writing a letter to my sister,” Zander said in a funny accent.

“Oh how sweet! My brother Alfred’s been gone for over three years and I’ve heard nothing from him at all. You are such a loving brother.” Wenda lightly placed her hand on Zander’s broad shoulder.

Marina rolled her eyes at this poor flirtation. Wenda still held the other bowl in her hand. Marina impatiently tapped her fingers on the table while she waited for Wenda to give her supper to her.

“This style of shirt is absolutely adorable!” Wenda exclaimed. “Is it from your country?”

“Yes,” Zander said, looking like he’d much rather eat than talk.

Marina watched as her stew grew cold. She pressed her lips together.

“How I’d love to see your country,” Wenda continued. “What was the name of it again?”

“Is that bowl for someone?” Zander asked.

Wenda looked down at her right hand.

“Oh, I completely forgot,” she said.

Marina sighed. Finally.

“I knew you’d want two bowls of stew. So I took the liberty of bringing you both so you wouldn’t have to wait.”

Marina’s jaw dropped as she watched the stew… her stew… being placed in front of Zander.

“Thank you,” he said, “it’s very considerate of you.”

Wenda beamed proudly.

“Go ahead and try it,” she said, “I helped make it.”

She and Marina intently watched as Zander dipped his spoon into the hot stew. His lips pressed together for a cooling blow. Then his mouth opened, the full spoon went inside, and he slowly chewed.

“It’s delicious,” he said after swallowing.

“I’m so glad you like it. If you need anything… any of you,” she said suddenly remembering there were others at the table, “let me know.” She made a clumsy curtsy and turned to leave.

Marina jumped up in front of her.

“Where’s my food?!” She demanded.

“Get out of my way,” Wenda said.

“Not unless you get my supper.”

“There are many other customers who were here before you. Wait your turn!”

Marina felt the blood drain from her face.

“Wait my turn? Wait my turn?!” She shouted. “You didn’t make him wait.” She pointed at Zander. “He was in here for less than five minutes and he got his supper! In fact, he got two suppers! You even took away that man’s bowl and gave to him.” She pointed toward the fat man.

“Yes,” the fat man shouted, rising. “My wife and children are finished, and I am still waiting for mine!”

“As am I!” Another man shouted. Others chimed in their grievances.

“I am working as fast as I can!” Wenda exclaimed.

“Work? You spent the last five minutes drooling over that man when you could have been getting the rest of us our supper!” Marina exclaimed.

“Aye!” Others shouted.

“But it’s just that… I mean he—um, Zander… he’s a foreigner and, uh, I’m only being hospitable.” Wenda stammered.

Marina looked over Wenda’s head at Zander.
“A foreigner,” she said, staring straight into his eyes, “not a king.”

A strange look came over Zander’s face. He looked insulted, hurt, angry, and oddly grieved. In the next second, an extreme sadness filled his eyes. Then he looked away. The people at his table stared at her with shock and abhorrence.

Marina turned back to Wenda and realized many people were yelling at her. Tears stood in Wenda’s eyes. Suddenly, Marina felt terrible for the scene she was causing. If her Nanny was here, she would have quietly inquired about their supper, not shouted in anger. Of course, if her Nanny were here she wouldn’t have to wait at all.

“Here, you can have this.”
Zander held out a bowl of stew to her. Now Marina felt completely horrid.

“I don’t want it,” she said quietly.

“No, you were here first,” he said. “You should have it.”

“I don’t want it,” she said forcefully.

“Take it,” Zander ordered.

“No. I don’t want it!“ She shouted.

“I don’t want it!” He shouted.

“I’ll take it!” The fat man shouted.

No!” Marina and Zander yelled at him.

“It’s your stew,” Marina said, pushing the bowl toward him.

“But it’s rightfully yours,” he said, pushing against her hand.

“I’m not hungry!”

“Neither am I!”

“Oh for heavens sake!” Wenda shouted grabbing the bowl. “Just take it.” She threw the bowl at Marina.

Marina let out a small screech as warm stew hit her waist and legs.

“There!” Wenda said triumphantly. “You’ve had your supper. Now you can leave!”

Many of the people in the room began to laugh. Zander turned away. Too angry to speak, Marina went back to her table. The back door flew open and a dark haired, middle-aged woman marched out with a tray full of stew. Another woman with a tray of stew followed.

“Anyone who has not been served, please raise a hand,” the first woman said. “Lissy and Penny will get all of you a bowl and reimburse you for tonight’s dinner.”

The customers cheered. Marina grabbed her bags. The woman walked over to Wenda and Zander.

“Wenda, we leave you in charge for one night,” the woman said, “and we come back to an inn in chaos.”

“I’m sorry, Aunt Jassy,” Wenda said. “But she started it all.”

Wenda’s aunt looked over at Marina. Marina looked at her for a moment then turned to leave.

“I—I don’t care who started it,” Marina heard Wenda’s aunt say as she left. “We’ll talk about this later. In the mean time, you may go home now.”

Marina walked into the hall. Footsteps came running behind her. Wenda grabbed her arm.

“Don’t you ever come back here,” Wenda growled, pushing Marina out of her way. Wenda then stormed out the door, slamming it behind her.

Marina wanted to run after her and wring her neck. But she held herself back from that pleasure. She didn’t know where to go now. This had been the safest place she could think of. She definitely couldn’t go to any of her father’s family. Apparently her mother’s family didn’t want her around. Except for her Aunt Hanna, of course. But she couldn’t go to them either. Yet what other choice did she have? Their daughter, Autumn (her best friend), was married and her troll of a husband would surely tell the world she was there. Since Uncle Ronald and Aunt Hanna were nobles, it wouldn’t take long for her whereabouts to known. But some time was better than no time.

Marina stood in the open doorway. She hadn’t met any of the people her mother had so fondly talked about. Now she would never meet them.

“Snow! Snow! Landon that’s her name!” Someone
was shouting in the dining room.

Marina walked out into the night.

“Snow! Wait! Snow wait!”

Marina looked at the tree she had tied Alsbury to. He wasn’t there. Her heart pounded in her breast. Someone stole her horse! Some low life had taken Alsbury. Why did she come here? She should have known better than to hid among the rift raft. Her father was right. They were nothing but common thieves! The lot of them! Behind her someone burst through the door.

“Where are you going?!” Wenda’s aunt said suddenly appearing beside her.

“My horse! Horse’s been stolen! You’ll pay for taking him. You’ll all pay!” Marina shouted.

Wenda’s aunt grabbed her shoulders.

“No one took your horse,” she said. “We saw it tied to the tree when we came home. Bertram took it to the stable.”

“Stable? You have a stable?”

Wenda’s aunt nodded.

“Alsbury not hurt?”

“If that’s your horse, no he isn’t.”

Marina sighed with relief.

“Well, I need to get him,” she said. “I have to go.”

Wenda’s aunt looked disappointed.
“But you’ve only just come!” She said.

“I won’t stay where I’m not wanted.”

“Is it because of Wenda?” She asked. “She’s one of Azale’s children. They’re all like that.”

“Oh,” Marina said, not knowing who Azale was.

“My dear, you must stay. I insist. I would never turn one of my nieces away.”

“One of your nieces?”

Wenda’s aunt leaned toward her ear.
“You are wearing Safie’s necklace, are you not?” She whispered.

Marina grabbed the pretty red stone on its silver chain.

“It’s the one her mother gave her. The one her mother told her to pass on to her first born child.” Wenda’s aunt whispered.

“How did you know that?” Marina asked.

“I was there when she gave it to her,” she
answered smiling. “I am her younger sister, Jassy. I am your aunt… your Aunt Jassy.”

Her Aunt Jassy. Marina allowed the words to sink in. Her mother had talked about her sister Jassy all the time. Although they never visited each other, they always wrote to one another. And now here her mother’s favorite sister was standing before her.

“Aunt Jassy…” Marina whispered, “Mama talked about you so… so often.”

Jassy pulled her into her arms.
“I know, dear. I know. After you were born, that was all she ever talked about in her letters. You were her life.”

Tears filled Marina’s eyes. Her aunt Jassy pulled away.

“Come with me,” she said. She quickly led Marina back into the inn, down the hall, and into a dark room. In a few minutes, a fire blazed and Jassey lit a few candles.

“Sit down,” Jassey said, sitting herself.

“How did you recognize me? In the dining room?” Marina asked. The only people from her mother’s family who’d ever seen her were her aunts Hanna, Nianna, and Ameryl. She wasn’t sure how well her Aunt Ameryl and Aunt Nianna would know her. The last time she saw them was at her mother’s funeral nine years ago.

Unlike some countries, her father didn’t allow portraits of his family to be made for distribution to the public. He said that the only people who needed to know what they looked like were those that mattered. Everyone else need only know that they exist. Besides, no one in her family left home without being richly attired, and having a good number of servants and soldiers in attendance. No matter what, people could tell who they were.

“You remind me of my sister Maurette, except she has red hair. When I first saw you, I thought you were Maurette. But your hair is black, and your nose is a little different… besides, Maurette would be much older by now. She was 10 years older than me. She left home when she about your age… we haven’t heard from her since.” Jassy’s eyes went off to a forgotten past. Then suddenly, they returned to the present. She looked at Marina and smiled. “Your necklace tipped me off to your real identity. After I saw it, I thought back to Safie’s letters to remember how she described you. Hair blacker than mine, Safie’s violet eyes, the king’s nose, dark red lips…”

“Then why didn’t you say something?”

Jassy sighed,

“My dear, what do you know of rebels in this country?”

“Rebels? In Brovan?” Marina questioned. “But there aren’t any rebels in Brovan. Everyone is content.”

“I see… Is this what your father says?”

Marina shrugged.

“Yes. And Sebastian, and all my teachers, and everyone… except my Nanny. She says we’re fooling ourselves. But what does she know?!”

“A lot more than of the people around you,” Jassy said. “My dear, there are hundreds of rebels in this country and we are all united under—“

“We?”

Jassy’s face turned rosy.
“My father, your grandfather is one of the leaders of the rebellion.”

“Rebellion! You must be joking!”

“I am completely serious.”

Marina looked into her aunt’s stern face.

“A rebellion…” Marina whispered. “But why?”

“There are many things your father has done wrong. Some of the worst are that he makes the poorest citizens pay the most taxes. Those who can’t pay are executed. Their families are taken to prison or the mines to work off their ‘debt’.”

“Oh.”

“The soldiers run around as if they own this country. They are allowed to do whatever they want. They have taken women, even married ones. They have kicked people out of their very homes for no reason." Aunt Jassy said. “And the nobles and mayors and the wealthy who control the soldiers (if you can call it control). There were a couple of soldiers, here in Wedimell, who tried to steal one of our neighbor’s horses… while he was on it! They ended up killing the man. His son saw the whole thing and told the captain, who wouldn’t do anything. So he went to the mayor. Rather than bring the soldiers to justice, the mayor accused the boy of killing his father and blaming it on the soldiers. The boy was hanged.”

“How do you know the boy didn’t kill his father?”

“He was only 13. Would you have done something like that at that age?”

“No. But I’m of noble blood. The common rift-raft are capable of anything. No matter what their age.”

“Do not forgot, princess, that your mother was common rift-raft!” Jassy said angrily.

Marina would much rather forget that.

“You nobles think you’re so above the rest of us. But the only difference between you and I is a title. And that could be stripped away! No matter what you think, you are still a human, just as I am.”

Jassy stood and walked to the window.
Marina sat completely still in her chair. No one but her father, mother, and Nanny had ever raised their voice to her. She wasn’t sure how to feel. Part of her wanted to leap up and slap this woman for her insolence. Another part of her was too scared to do anything. Still, a little part of her was proud of the courage her Aunt Jassy had. She was sure Aunt Jassy was aware that Marina could leave this instant and have her arrested, even killed, for scolding her like that. But maybe she would apologize (like she should), then Marina would let her off.

Jassy suddenly spoke.

“I am sure you want an apology,” she said, “but you will not get one from me. I am not sorry for any words that have come out of my mouth… they were all the truth.”

“But you must apologize,” Marina said. “Do you know what I could do to you if you don’t?”

Jassy faced her niece. She straightened her shoulders and lifted her chin.

“Of course I know,” she said. “So why don’t you?”

Marina didn’t answer.

“Maybe there is more to the DeLaney’s than meets the eye,” Jassy said. Then shaking her head, “I did not mean to go off on a tangent. I thought everyone knew what was going on in this country. It’s never occurred to any of us that some may be ignorant…”

Marina lowered her eyes.

“…But there are more important things to consider now,” Jassy said, walking back to her seat. “First, prin—um, can I call you Marina, or must I be more formal?”

No one had ever asked her what she wanted to be called. Usually she was called by her title or some other formal name.

“I suppose Marina would be all right,” she said, “after all you are family.”

“Good. I would have quickly tired of anything else. Now then, why are you here? Are you in search of more servants?”

“Servants?” Marina saw the smile on Jassy’s face. It was a joke. “Oh! No. I—I had no where else to go.”

“Really? And you couldn’t go to my lovely snob of a sister Hanna?”

“Least of all her. Aunt Hanna and Uncle Ronald would tell. They could never keep a secret such as this.”

“Yes, Hanna would flaunt her good fortune. But why does it matter if they told or not?”

“I don’t want anyone to know where I am.”

“And why not?”

Marina was silent for a long time.

“The palace talks.” She finally said, softly.

Jassy stared at her.

“The palace… talks?” Aunt Jassy repeated.

“Yes. It whispers on and on. It says that… that people will die.” Marina said.

“So… you ran away because of the palace?”

“Yes! And to get away from her!”

“Her?”

“The queen.”

“Your stepmother? Queen Renata?”

“Yes! She hates me, you know.”

“I had no idea.”

“She hates everyone," Marina said. "She has these dark empty eyes. It’s like looking into nothingness. But if you offend her, they turn into green fire. Then she has your head chopped off.”

Jassy leaned forward. “And how many people has she beheaded?”

“I don’t know. But now there are at least four a day. She loves to do it in the early morning, before breakfast. She sits in the west courtyard and watches as people are beheaded. Sometimes she does it herself and comes to breakfast covered in blood." Marina said.
“Lately, she’s taken to drinking the beheaded’s blood at her meals… Aunt Jassy, sometimes she has ‘special meat’ that I know is human. More and more she eats her special meat when the rest of us have chicken or fish.”

Tears filled her eyes.
“In the evenings she and Burdett, the head of her guard, go into the dungeons to watch the prisoners be tortured. She took me with her once when I was 14. Unspeakable terrors are done in those dark shadows.”

Salty streams ran down Marina’s cheeks.
“Ever since she has been there all sorts of strange things have happened. Now they happen more often. Every candle and fire goes out all at once without any winds. There are terrible screams and cries that wake you up at night. My Nanny says that ‘it’ has awakened. But she won’t say what ‘it’ is.
“But the worst is that once the queen looked at me with vacant eyes. It was always as if she was looking straight through me, like I wasn’t even there. But a few months ago she looked at me and… and the green fire was in her eyes. And now every time she sees me her eyes become fire. I don’t know what I did to offend her. All I know is that she will be rid of me.”

Jassy swallowed hard.
“So you ran away.”

“Yes! And I had to come here because the queen doesn’t know about my mother’s origins. Everyone thinks she was from Akinsis because that’s where she was living when my father married her. But my mother told me that she grew up at the Silver Rose inn in Wedimell. She talked to me about her family a lot. She told to come here if ever I had nowhere else to go. So I knew this was the place I had to flee to!”

Jassy thought about this for a long time. Marina fidgeted in her seat like a small child. She prayed that her aunt would take her in.

Then Aunt Jassy smiled. “Safie would have wanted you to come here,” she said finally. “And I will not turn you away. But Marina it is not safe for you here either. If you stay here it cannot be under the name Marina DeLaney. Wedimell is one of the centers of the rebellion. If people found out who you were… well, you wouldn’t have to worry about what the queen will do to you anymore.”

Marina nodded in understanding.

“No, we must give you a new identity without straying too far from the truth. That way if you mistakenly give out something you can have an excuse that is credible.” Aunt Jassy said.

Marina tried to think of a name she liked. Autumn was nice, but it was her cousin’s name. She couldn’t choose her mother’s. She thought of Pricilla, Fiona, Harriet, Bonita, and Georgiana, they were all names of girls she knew, but she wasn’t sure if she wanted to call herself any of those. She thought a little more. She remembered her grandmother’s name was Queen Geraldine. Then she decided people might be suspicious of that. Her other grandmother’s name was Mara. That was pretty, but maybe not appropriate here. She tried to think of more women’s names. Her Nanny had a name. What was it? She remembered her mother saying it and other servants said it. There was a T… Theresa? Tabitha? Tomina? No, it was shorter. Thea… Tessa… Terra? Yes, Terra. That was a nice name and Nanny would be honored if she knew. What if she had to write it down for some reason? Marina wondered how she spelled it. T-E-R-R-A or T-A-R-R-A or even T-A-R-A and there might be other ways—

Wham! The door flew open hitting the wall. Jassy and Marina leaped up.

“Jassy?” A male’s voice said.

“Landon, Papa, Bertram,” Jassy said breathlessly, “you scared us!”

“We’ve been looking all over for you, Jassy.”

“I’m sorry, Landon,” Jassy said to one of the men,

“I just talking with—“

“Snow!”

“Huh?” Jassy asked.

“Snow,” Landon said again, “that’s what you said her name was. Remember in the dining room you kept shouting that her name was Snow. Everyone knows her name now.”

“They do?” Marina asked.

“Oh yes,” Landon said, “everyone talked about Wenda and Snow until we closed the dining room an hour ago. They said they argued as if they were related.” He chuckled.

“They are related,” Jassy said. “They’re cousins.”

“Cousins?” The oldest man questioned. “From Lukeman’s side, I presume.”

“No, Papa,” Jassy said, “does she look like she’s from Lukeman’s side?”

The old man walked over to Marina. Leaning on his cane, he peered up at her. Then he snorted,
“She gets her looks from your mother. But she can’t belong to Azale or Latrine or Julietta or you. When Nianna and Ameryl visited us they never mentioned a child nor a grandchild named Snow. Of course, I don’t remember what the names were, but none of them were something as strange as Snow.”

The old man thought some more.
“She is not that one's child, for we know that one’s name. And she would never come here. As for the other… well—“

“Papa,” Jassy said rather loudly, “Snow is not Hanna’s daughter. She is, um… Maurette’s.”

“Maurette?!” The old man exclaimed. “But, child, how?”

“She, um, Maurette…” Jassy began, “apparently wandered to Akinsis where she met Snow’s father.”

“Glory be to God!” The old man shouted. He grabbed Marina’s hand. “Why didn’t your mother come with you, child? Are your father and she following behind in a carriage?”

“Papa…” Jassy began, “Papa… Maurette isn’t coming.”

“Why?”

“Because—she, um, well… she…”

“Because she doesn’t know I’m here,” Marina said quickly.

The men looked at her confused.

“And… she doesn’t know I’m here because she left.”

“She left?” the old man asked.

“Yes, she left years ago. We don’t know where she went. One morning we woke up and she was gone.” Marina did her best to sound sad.

“Yes,” the old man said sadly, “that is how she did us. Maurette is like the wind, blowing everywhere and settling nowhere. What do you remember about her?”

“Barely anything,” Marina said, “I was only three when she left us. All I can recall is her… red hair.” Marina fortunately recalled her mother's description of her aunt Maurette.

The old man suddenly embraced her.


“You are Maurette’s daughter,” he cried. “I am your grandfather, Doustan Ranley. All my grandchildren call me Granpapa. I am so glad you have come to visit us, Snow. We will have to talk later, my dear. Meet me for breakfast tomorrow.”

He turned to his daughter.
“Jassy, we have a short meeting tonight. Zander is going to Akinsis in August and we need to finalize a few things.”

“Yes, Papa,” Jassy said looking warily at Marina. “I think I should get, um, Snow a room first.”

“Oh yes,” Marina said, yawning, “I’m very tired.”

“Good. Good,” Granpapa said. “We’ll meet you there.”

Marina picked up her bags. Landon and Bertram suddenly burst out laughing.

“What are you laughing at?” Jassy asked.

“We were just thinking how funny it would be if her father’s name was White,” Landon said, chuckling.

Jassy put a hand on Marina’s shoulder.
“I don’t see anything funny about it,” she said. “In fact, that is her last name.”

“Oh,” Landon said trying very hard not to laugh. “I’m sorry… we, um, didn’t mean anything… by it.”

Jassy led Marina out of the room and toward the stairs. Behind them Landon and Bertram burst out laughing louder than the first time.

“I don’t see what’s so funny,” Jassy said as they climbed the stairs to the second floor.

Marina sighed in frustration.
“It’s because my name is stupid!”

“It’s not stupid. Snow is a nice name.”

“Aunt Jassy you told them my last name is White!”

“So?”

They began climbing up to the third floor.

“So! White and snow, white and snow; snow is white!”

“I get it! Snow is white and your name is Snow White!”

Jassy began to chuckle.

“Yes! Now it sounds like my parents were playing some cruel joke when they named me!”

They turned left on the third floor hall.

“What should your middle name be?” Jassy asked giggling. “How about Flake? Snow Flake White.”

Marina groaned.

“Or maybe Snow Winter White,” Jassy continued.

“No, no you should marry a man with the last name, Winter. Then you’ll be Snow White Winter. Then you could name your children Holly and Christmas and a boy could be Yule.”

Marina rolled her eyes. They turned down another hall.

“What made you call me, Snow?” Marina asked.

“I don’t know,” Jassy said. “I couldn’t call you by your real name.” They stopped in front of a door. Jassy took out a key. “I suppose I was trying to think of the nickname your mother used to call you.” She opened the door and walked in. “Go ahead and close the door. I know these rooms like the back of my hand.”

Marina heard her cross the room. There was a soft clatter of metal and the zing of two things strike each other. Marina saw a tiny fire on a match. Jassy lit a couple of candles.

“It’s a bit warm to have a fire,” she said pulling up the window. “What do you think of your room?”

Marina took a look around. Even with the candles it was so dark she could just make out the furniture.
“It seems very cozy,” she finally said.

“There are enough candles to light up the room, but I figured you’d be going to bed anyway.”
Marina nodded.

“What was it that your mother used to call you?” Jassy asked. “All I could remember was Snow-something and so I only cried out Snow.”

Marina took a moment before answering.
“She—she used to call me Snowball, because my face looked like one when I got angry.”

“Snowball,” Jassy repeated. “Safie always did have a strange way of looking at things. But maybe they weren’t so strange. Those were the best years under King Elbert’s rule, when Safie was queen.”
The two women became silent, each lost in her own memories. Jassy came back to the present first.

“Well, I’d better go and let you sleep. Find me tomorrow and I’ll give you the key to your room. This is room G2. Remember that, G2. Breakfast is from 6-9. Just come down to the dining room. If you’ll give me that outfit, I’ll wash it for you. What do you call that?”

“It’s a riding and traveling outfit.”

“Leather trousers and vest?”

“I have silk undergarments on. And of course my shirt, which you can see.”

“Trousers on a woman,” Jassy said, shaking her head.

“Women wear them in some countries.”

“Well, if you would refrain from wearing them while in my house…”

“Yes, of course. I only wore them for the journey. I brought two of my worst dresses to wear.” Marina pointed to her bags.

“Might I suggest you take off anything that looks expensive. No jewels, gold, silver, or pearls. Ribbons and lace should be sparse.”

“Oh but—“

“The poorer you look the better. In fact, give me the dresses and I’ll fix them tonight. And if you’ll leave your traveling clothes on this table, I’ll come by and take them. Then I may as well leave the room key in their place.”

Marina did as she was told and handed her two worst dresses over to her aunt.

“All right then,” Jassy said, opening the door, “good night… Snow White.”

Marina stuck her tongue out at the closing door. It was such a dumb name and now she was stuck with it. She undressed and carefully folded her traveling clothes before placing them on the table by the door. Then, grateful her aunt didn’t know about the white silk nightgown with white lace trimming and its matching robe, Marina prepared for bed. She had never taken her hair down before, and it took her several tries before unwrapping the ribbons from around her ponytail. Then she clawed through her hair to get it to come down. She brushed her hair out the best she could. She crawled into bed. Although the bed was rather hard, it was much better than the ground and she fell asleep as soon as her head touched the pillow.
© Copyright 2004 Trisha (UN: sharnises at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Trisha has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307570-Runaway