*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307603-Prologue-updated
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #891966
alone in a strong blizzard, she has no food, no warmth, will Kylara survive?
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#307603 added September 26, 2004 at 7:03pm
Restrictions: None
Prologue (updated)
The Night Forest


         Kylara was freezing. It was wintertime in Night Forest and all she had to protect her from the brutal wind was her cloak and what little clothing she had on. She was the only one from her town to survive. A sudden blizzard had swept through her town, catching everyone by surprise. The whole town had never seen so much snow and it coming so suddenly, food had run out rapidly. After all the animals had been butchered, there still wasn’t enough food to survive on. The sick and weak died first, then the elderly, and slowly everyone else followed. Kylara was fortunate, she was one of the few who was young and healthy. Her father had been a warrior and taught her to survive with very little. She had given up her ration of food to try and help, but it had not been enough.
         Everyone she loved had died. The two weeks of freezing temperatures and nothing to eat had gotten to even the strongest, like her father. Kylara watched as his once smooth and handsome skin, shriveled and stuck to his bones. He had held her hand tightly and made her promise to leave the one home she had only known, and to try her best to survive.
          “Promise me! Promise me my daughter!” he had urged, using the last of his strength. “You are strong Kylara. Use everything I’ve taught you and survive! You must survive!” She had been too over come to speak, and only nodded. It had been enough for her father and with a faint smile, he drew his last breath. His body had slackened, and Kylara watched as the last of her family died.
         Kylara pulled her cloak tighter around her. Now she understood why no one would leave to try and seek help. It was complete suicide. There was no food or water here, except melted snow. The flint she had tucked in her small pouch was useless because the wood was wet with snow. Her bow and arrows and her father’s long sword only weighed her down. There was nothing to hunt in Night Forest.
          But Kylara could not give up. She had made a promise. She had been walking for two days now without rest, but she would not give up hope. Not yet. Not ever. She kept her head bent and pulled her hood down as she stumbled on. She would survive.

NOTE: if you liked this, please read the other chapters, and a BIG thank you to miss_jojo for helping me
© Copyright 2004 wildmagick1 (UN: wildmagick1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
wildmagick1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307603-Prologue-updated