*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307627-Chapter-7
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #891966
alone in a strong blizzard, she has no food, no warmth, will Kylara survive?
#307627 added September 24, 2004 at 11:47pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 7
         As Kylara rode up to the gate, she noticed that it was Anthony that was guarding now. She halted in front of the gate and waved up at Anthony with her free arm. He waved back and opened the gate, then disappeared inside the tower. Kylara rode in and to the stables. A new stable boy had taken over and he was waiting in the doorway as Kylara rode up.
          “I’ll take him for ya miss,” he said with a polite smile. He was much older than the other stable boy was, but he still stared at her.
         Kylara dismounted and handed over the reins, “Please make sure he has a nice scrub down and is fed well.”
          “Yes miss.”
          “Thank you,” Kylara smiled back politely and walked off toward the merchants.
         If she was going to have a pet hawk, which she hoped she would, she would need guards against his talons. She stopped at one merchant that was selling tanned deer hide.
          “Um, excuse me, sir?” Kylara asked the merchant.
         The merchant turned and his eyes widened in surprise, “Oh, hello…miss. How may I help you?”
          “I was wondering if you had some leather that could be made into arm guards. I need it for my hawk, Talon, but I also need it for protection against my bow,” explained Kylara politely.
          “Hmm…yes, yes of course you would. I do not have any pieces that are the right size, but I can get some. Where might I be able to send these to once I get them?”
          “The castle, servants quarters. Send them there, my name is Kylara, I shouldn’t be too hard to find me there.”
         If the man’s eyes could have widened anymore, they would have. “Kylara, thee Kylara? Everyone is talking about you. The mighty woman warrior…” The man’s gaze turned into awe, “I’ll send the leather as quickly as possible miss, no need to pay for it either.” He gave her a bow.
         Kylara shook her head, “Please stand straight sir. I don’t know what you may have heard about me, but I am sure that is exaggerated beyond belief. But thank you all the same, I’ll be awaiting the leather.” Kylara turned away and walked to the castle.
*Star*
         Kylara slipped into the kitchen just as the evening meal ended. She moved easily between the servants and got a plate of food for herself and raw meat for Talon. She sat at a small table in the back of the kitchen and ate for the first time that day.
          “Looks like somebody’s hungry,” a male voice said from behind her.
         Kylara turned and smiled at Anthony, “Hey, give me a break, this is the first time I’ve eaten!”
         Anthony chuckled, “Don’t tell Fanna that, or she’ll be all over you for not eating.”
         Kylara shook her head and pulled out the stool next to her, “Have a seat.”
          “Thanks angel,” Anthony sat down then looked at Talon who was standing on the table with his plate of raw meat in front of him, “Made a new friend, eh?”
         Kylara nodded and took her empty plate to wash it, “I was at this stream in the forest and Talon here fell in my lap. Broken wing, don’t know how though, but I fixed it up.” She sat back down and grinned at Anthony, “And now, I’m hoping that he will stay.” Kylara stroked a hand down Talons head.
          “Well, it sure looks like he’s willing to stay. You need money to take care of him? Like arm guards and such?”
         Kylara’s smile vanished and she shook her head, “I spoke to the leather merchant earlier, he said he’d deliver some leather to me, so I could create some arm guards. But the thing is he said I didn’t have to pay him. It’s strange.”
          “Not entirely angel,” Anthony started to go red, “Ya see, everyone’s been spreading the word of how you killed those men and hardly showed a sign of pain when wounded greatly. Many, many people are awed for what you did, especially the women. But ya see, I…ah…I started the whole thing…if you don’t want to be talked about I can spread the word or something.” He looked at Kylara.
          “No, no, its fine I think…” Kylara smiled.
          “Uh oh…”Anthony lowered his voice, “Time I get going. Nice talking with you angel, I’ll see you again.” Anthony quickly departed. Before Kylara could figure out what was wrong, Fanna took Anthony’s seat.
          “Hello dear, I see you had a nice time, and brought home a friend,” Fanna smiled and petted Talon.
         Kylara smiled, “Yes, this is Talon, and I had a wonderful time. Thank you.”
         Talon hopped off the table and onto Kylara’s shoulder, then settled into a comfortable position.
          “Talon the hawk, how wonderful dear. Now then, how do you like the clothing?”
          “Oh! It’s so perfect Fanna! I can move and be free, and it’s so soft,” Kylara smiled brightly.
          “That’s good dear, you read my note I suppose?” Kylara nodded and Fanna continue, “Well, my great-great-grandmother was a warrior too, like you, and what surprises me is that her name was Kylara too.”
         Kylara’s eyes widened, “Really? My mother told me long ago that I was named after my great something grandmother. I wasn’t very old so I don’t remember if it was great-great-grandmother or just great-grandmother or however many greats.”
          “Oh my dear, what was you’re mother’s name then? I would have thought you had been named after her.”
          “Oh, no. My mother’s name was Nanira and my Father was Blaine.”
         Fanna’s eyes suddenly filled with tears, “My daughter…my daughter was named Nanira…but she ran away with a man she met. I never found her…”
         Kylara was stunned. Could this woman really be related to her? Could Fanna really be her grandmother? Kylara pulled out the necklace her mother gave her and held it out to Fanna, “Do you recognize this? I know I showed it to you once before, but look now, harder. Do you recognize it? My mother said it was very old.”
         Fanna took out a handkerchief and wiped her eyes then looked at the necklace. It was the gold and emerald one Kylara had worn before. “My heavens…I gave this to Nanira on her tenth birthday. It was also my great-great-grandmothers, which mean…” Fanna got up and hugged Kylara, “I have a grandchild!”
         Talon jumped down to the table once more. Kylara hugged Fanna back. She now had family again, real family. Tears fell from both pairs of eyes.
         Two women, hugging each other and crying. That’s all Toric saw when he went into the kitchen. Toric quickly rushed in.
          “Are you two alright? What’s the matter?” he asked anxiously.
         Fanna stepped back and wiped at her eyes. Kylara hid her face as she quickly composed herself. Fanna spoke first, “Lord Toric…I’m sorry, you just came upon a family reunion,” Fanna smiled and put an arm around Kylara, who was smiling politely, “this…this wonderful girl, is my granddaughter.”
         Toric’s mouth fell open. Not just because of the news, but because he had taken a real look at Kylara. The way she was dressed and the hawk that had hopped up on her shoulder. She looked like she was ready for anything, not your typical woman.
         He finally got his voice back, “That’s great, for both of you.”
         Kylara nodded then turned to Fanna, “I’m going to retire now, grandma, I will see you in the morning,” she smiled.
         Fanna’s face lit up at the word grandma, “Alright darling, rest well.”
         Kylara hugged Fanna once more before walking past Toric and headed for her room. Not far down the hall Toric was at her side walking with her.
          “Are you really Fanna’s granddaughter?” he asked.
         Kylara nodded, “My mother was her daughter.”
          “Was? Do you mean to tell me that she’s not alive anymore?”
         Kylara gave him a sidelong look, “Are you really that stupid or is it just me?”
          “What? It was just a question.”
         Kylara sighed, “Yes, she’s not alive anymore. Nor is my dad, or my brother, or anyone in my town. I was the only one to survive. I thought I was all alone, now I have Fanna.”
          “What about your boyfriend? Husband?”
         Kylara shot him a deadly look, “The first and last time I had a boyfriend was three years ago, almost exactly. We were through with each other on the day of my birthday; I will never forget that day either. Nor will I ever take a man again. Now I suggest you keep your nose out of my business. I don’t care if you are a lord or not. Now good night, my lord.” She said the last words with such hate that his eyes widened. Toric jumped when she walked into her room and slammed the door in his face.
*Star*
         Over the next few days Kylara only came out of her room to work in the kitchen. The leather had been delivered and Kylara now wore two leather arm guards, one on each arm. Luckily Talon's wing hadn’t been bad and he healed in only three days. He never left Kylara and all the servants had come to accept him. Talon would fly off each night to hunt for his own food, but during the day when Kylara had free time, she would teach him tricks.
         Today, Fanna had given her a couple days off because it was Kylara’s twentieth birthday. Kylara had gathered a few coins over time and decided to go to town. She rode Mystery through the forest, following the direction Fanna had given her. Kylara watched Talon hunt to pass the time.
         Finally they emerged from the trees into the town. Kylara dismounted and walked by her horse’s side. Talon flew down and perched upon her shoulder. She smiled and gave him a quick pet before tying Mystery to a tree. Kylara slowly walked through the town trying to ignore the stares. She stopped and examined some silver jewelry when a shadow fell over her. Kylara turned.
          “You know, you stick out very well Kylara.”
         Kylara tried not to scowl when she saw it was Toric, “So? I’m comfortable and can fight if necessary.”
         Toric shook his head, “You are also strange.”
          “And you’re a pain in the ass, now get lost,” Kylara smiled sweetly then turned back to the silver jewelry.
          “Well, your not a quiet one either I see. My father did say you were rude.”
         Kylara picked up a silver bracelet that was a series of twisted-silver snakes with tiny jewel eyes. “I don’t care what your father, or you, say about me. I am who I am, deal with it.”
         Toric leaned over her shoulder and examined the piece she held, “That’s interesting, you going to buy that?”
         The merchant perked up, “It’s a wonderful deal miss, only 100 silver for it.”
         Kylara glanced at the merchant, then with an inward sigh she set it back down. She could afford something like that, even though she really wanted it. “No, I’m not going to get it, I was just…looking.”
          “Hmm, I see, well, mind if I look around town with you?”
         Kylara gave him a cold look, “You’re the lord, you do what ever you want.” She walked off toward the center of the town.
         Toric caught up with her moments later. “So what if I’m the lord of the land, I was being polite and asking. The least you could do was be polite back.”
         She looked at him, the coldness in her eyes melted slightly, “Alright I guess.”
          “Ok, that was better than before at least,” Toric started to put his hand around her waist. Talon poked him sharply in the shoulder with his beak.
         Kylara smiled, “He doesn’t like you.”
         Toric rubbed his shoulder, “Guess not, but he didn’t have to do that.”
         Kylara laughed, “He’s just being protective. Aren’t you?” She petted his head.
         Toric smiled, “Ok, you win.”
          “Good, I like winning.” Kylara grinned.
          “Oh really? How about a little friendly competition then?”
          “Alright. What are we competing in?”
          “Archery,” Toric walked over to a clearing that was near the edge of the town. In the middle of a tree was a bright red circle. Two men were about twenty feet away and were aiming for the red circle.
         Kylara pretended to pout, “I’m not good at archery.”
         Toric grinned, “Then I’m going to win automatically.”
          “No way, I wanna try it anyway,” Kylara luckily was able to keep the laugh that was bubbling up inside her.
          “Good,” Toric walked up to the line on the ground and picked up a bow.
         Kylara followed, almost letting her laugh escape when Toric picked up the worst bow. She picked up one of the better bows then an arrow. “So, Lord Toric. What happens if I win?” she grinned at him “I’ll stop nagging you about you being a lord if I lost, but what if I win?”
          “Hmm…I have something you might like, but let’s see if you can beat me first.”
         He let an arrow fly and it landed on the edge of the red circle. Kylara smiled, it was going to be a shame to beat him so easily. Talon flew off and Kylara let her arrow fly. It landed dead center of the circle. A loud cheer went up. Kylara turned and grinned at Toric.
          “I think you just lost.”
          “How…how…but you said you weren’t good…you tricked me!” Toric laughed at his own stupidity.
          “Yep,” Kylara set the bow down, then started walking back to her horse.
         Toric finally stopped laughing and noticed Kylara walking away. He ran after her.
          “Hey! Aren’t you forgetting something?” he asked when he caught up with her.
          “Hmm? Oh, yes.” Kylara blew a sharp whistle and Talon came hurtling back. He perched himself on Kylara’s shoulder again.
         Toric shook his head, “That’s not what I meant. You won remember? We also had a little deal too, remember that?”
         Kylara nodded and untied Mystery, “I remember perfectly, but I thought being beat by a woman was bad enough of a price for you.”
         Toric smiled, “I’ll survive it, but I wanted you to have this anyway.” He held out a package to her.
         Kylara looked at him in confusion then took the package and opened it. In her hand she held the silver snake bracelet.
          “I can’t take this.”
          “Yes you can, and you will,” he took the bracelet out of her hand and slid it on her wrist, “It’s a gift and reward. First, reward for beating me in archery, which I’m still impressed about. Then it’s also a gift, because I heard that today is your twentieth birthday.”
         Kylara stared at it, “Ok…if you put it that way…I guess I can survive taking it.” She smiled.
          “Good, otherwise I’d have to go back and figure out how to get my coins back. I don’t know anyone but you that would wear it.”
         Kylara laughed, “Alright, thanks…Toric.”
         He smiled, “Your welcome, Kylara.”
          “I’ll see ya around,” she swiftly mounted Mystery and rode off in a gallop, leaving Toric coughing on dirt and dust
© Copyright 2004 wildmagick1 (UN: wildmagick1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
wildmagick1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/307627-Chapter-7