*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/311413
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #900601
17-yr-old Kasshi is faced with strange new beings that threaten her very existence.Rate!!!
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#311413 added October 21, 2004 at 10:30pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2- Rikki's Choice
The crowd roared with delight as the actors on stage took their final set of bows. Kasshi glanced down at Rikki, fast asleep on the bench next to her. Not even the noise from the people around them was enough to wake her. As the crowd began to disperse from the gate Kasshi picked up Rikki and slung the girl across her back. She shifted Rikki around for a bit before grabbing her bike and walking to the cable car station.
“Mommy...” Rikki mumbled drowsily. Her hot breath swept over Kasshi’s neck at regular intervals as she fell back into a deep sleep.
“What was your mommy like Rikki?” Kasshi asked, not expecting an answer.

The cable car crept down the hill slowly toward them. Kasshi’s back ached from the 8 year old’s weight and she waited for the car impatiently. The cool night air was a welcome change from the sticky heat of the day and many people sat outside their homes to enjoy the weather. Kasshi’s mind wandered as she watched them.
“Three dollars for each of you.”
“Oh, sure,” Kasshi said to the man selling tickets for the cable car. She dug into the pocket of her skirt searching for her car money while the man stood impatiently. Rikki’s arm fell from her side and hung over Kasshi’s back as she snored softly.
“Here ya’ go.” Kasshi held out six crumpled bills. She smiled good naturally as the man sorted out her money and gave her the tickets. She put them in her pocket and lifted her bike onto the car platform.
“Rikki?” Kasshi knelt down and felt the girl slide off her back. Rikki stood uncertainly on her feet and looked at Kasshi with tired eyes. “Go inside while I chain the bike up.”

Rikki yawned and opened the door to the interior of the car. She sat down in an empty seat across from a boy her age and his sleeping mother.
“Hey,” the boy called out to her. Rikki looked at him but didn’t say anything. “Did you see those guys in the black suits?” At this question Rikki nodded happily. “I like them.” She said.
“Me too, and my mom does too. We’re going to see them tomorrow.”
“Really?? Where?” Rikki propped herself on the edge of her seat excited.
“Near the gate, at that building that used to be a factory.” Rikki crinkled her nose. “Ew, that old building?”
“What old building?” Kasshi asked as she playfully flopped down into the seat next to Rikki. Rikki looked at Kasshi’s kind face and hesitated to tell the truth. She knew Kasshi didn’t like the black cloaked people and Kasshi had explicitly told her to stay away from them. A river of guilt welled up in Rikki’s throat but she swallowed it down.
“Just an old building in Treno, that’s all,” she lied. Her eyes flicked to the ground ashamed but if Kasshi noticed she didn’t say anything.
“All clear!” The cable car driver yelled. With a lurch the vehicle came to life and began the climb to Market Square. As the sky grew darker all of Treno began to light up from the cable car. The lights shimmered beautifully the higher they ascended. Rikki looked out the window in search of the old factory but the place where it stood was covered in darkness. She squinted trying to locate any movement or light but the building remained empty and mysterious.

The next morning found Kasshi staring across her little makeshift table at Rikki. Their breakfast together was unnaturally silent and Kasshi couldn’t help but wonder what Rikki was thinking about. Rikki poked her fish with her fork too filled with anxiety to eat it all. She had decided to go to the abandoned factory and disregard Kasshi’s order. In a fit of nervousness she stabbed the fish and stuck a piece in her mouth. She noticed Kasshi staring at her and in an effort to act normal stuck her tongue at her, oblivious that half chewed fish was smeared all over it. Kasshi stuck her tongue out back.
“What’s wrong with you today? You’re not your bubbly self,” she said concerned.
“Nothing, I’m fine,” Rikki insisted. Kasshi wasn’t convinced. She’d never known her young charge to not wolf down her breakfast.
“Is it a boy?...” Kasshi asked slyly.
“Ew! No!” Rikki made a face. “Not for a million years!”
“In a million and one you’ll like them then?”
Rikki shook her head. “Not for a million, billion, trillion, zillion...”
“Okay, okay.” Kasshi put her plate in the sink and pat Rikki’s head. The eight year old instantly calmed down and sighed.
“Well I’ll see ya’ later.” Kasshi stood and attached her dagger to her belt. She tied her hair in a ponytail and headed toward the door. Rikki jumped down from the table and hugged Kasshi tightly. “Come back soon,” she said out of habit.
“I’ll be back when I’m back.” Kasshi smiled at her. She slipped out the doorway and disappeared down the ally.

Rikki stood looking after her in the pitiful door space. A smile crept across her face almost reluctantly. She knew she would be disobeying Kasshi if she went to see the foreign people but her mind whirled with excitement at the mere thought of them. A breeze blew through the crack of the door blowing loose strands of sapphire hair around the girl’s face.
“I’m just going to see them for a few minutes,” Rikki whispered to force the guilt out of her heart. It was painful going behind her guardian’s back, because Kasshi had done so much for her. But Rikki felt every fiber in her body being pulled toward the strangers.

She stood for a bit more, quietly listening to Treno come to life. Her young ears heard the vendors in the Market place setting up their goods and she knew Kasshi would be watching them. She smiled again, Kasshi was one of the best thieves in town. After the air had warmed up a bit and the sunlight filtered into the room, Rikki stuck her head out the door. She didn’t see anyone in the alleyway but she knew someone had to be watching. Unsure she wrapped her small arms around herself and clutched her white t-shirt. She closed her eyes for a moment and jumped out the door before she changed her mind completely.

Her sneakers hit the pebbled ground lightly, showering dust on her bare legs. The girl ran quietly down the ally reaching the busy atmosphere of the square in seconds. Rikki drew in a sharp breath as she looked around. She had never seen the Market so crowded before. Usually it was busy, but today Rikki couldn’t believe her eyes. Thousands of people were packed in the area. There wasn’t enough space for a person to move his arms without hitting someone else.
“Watch it, girl!” A burly voice spat from behind Rikki. She jumped in surprise and turned to face the stout, grisly man who had spoken to her. He was wheeling his cart though the crowd frustrated. He glared at Rikki and spat again. “Little runt.” Frightened Rikki pressed her thin body against a cobblestone wall and closed her eyes as the man passed her. Too timid to go on she slid off the wall and turned to head home.

“You have to see the foreign strangers.” A voice drifted from the back of the girl’s mind. Rikki shook her head and pressed her eyes shut again. “You have to.” It repeated. Rikki began to shake her head again but stopped mid turn. It was right. She had to go. People around her began to stare. Rikki paid them no notice and turned back towards the Market Square.
“Are you okay kid?” A kind hand fell on Rikki’s shoulder. Alarmed Rikki flinched at the touch and looked at the hand and the kind man’s face that smiled down at her.
“You have to go...” The voice in her head drawled. Rikki rudely shook off the man’s hand and ran into the forest of legs that surrounded her. Desperately she pushed her way to the cable car station and stood panting in the doorway. Sweat trickled down her forehead finding its way in her eyes. The burning only added to her heightened anxiety.
“What if Kasshi comes home soon.”
“I’m disobeying her.”
“I shouldn’t be here.”
“You have to, you want to.” Rikki shook her head again her eyes welling up with tears at her own frustration.
“Car leaves in three minutes, little lady.” A station employee approached her.
“One ticket please,” she whispered hanging her head.

Kasshi stood at her usual place in square, her arms comfortably crossed in front of her. Her eyes took in everything around her and she pondered over it. There were so many people at Treno’s market today that something rare must have been brought in. She didn’t know what it was but from the same look in the eyes of the people milling around her, they were all after the same thing. On the south end of the square Kasshi saw a flash of color that caught her eye. She turned her head to face it and then saw a large stand she’d never seen before. It was draped in deep purple satin with strange designs decorated all over it. Apparently other people saw it too and stopped what they were doing to stare in awe.
“Ladies and Gentlemen” A woman’s voice rang crisply in the still air. Kasshi glanced around herself repeatedly, afraid of the reactions of the people. A look of pure euphoria danced across their faces as they waited for the woman to continue speaking. Native people of Treno didn’t know what to make of this. It was all new, strange behavior to them.
“The official stand of Shozen has arrived.”
“Shozen?” Kasshi asked herself.

The atmosphere was deathly silent at the news. Then all hell broke loose as a mad stampede for the Shozen stand erupted in a matter of seconds. Kasshi pressed herself against her wall terrified that that stand had so much power over all those people. The usual vendors in the square were blown away by all the commotion. Their carts and stands were knocked over as people made their way to the south side. The wind from the passing people did little to ruffle Kasshi’s tough leather skirt but her hair whipped around wildly.
“What in the gods' names is going on?!” She screamed aloud.

Downtown Rikki walked slowly up to the old factory, her arms crossed over her thin body. Her fear was replaced with a stubborn curiosity toward these hooded strangers. She reached out a small hand to knock on the wooden door hesitating briefly. Her fingers twitched involuntarily before the girl curled them into a ball and rapped politely on the door. Seconds passed and turned into minutes as Rikki waited impatiently. Feeling the urging voice in her head beginning to rise again Rikki hastily turned the doorknob letting herself in. She began to place a foot inside in the building but was blocked by a black cloth. Rikki’s eyes climbed up the cloak and rested on the empty face of a man.
Welcome little one, we’ve been waiting for you, He said kindly. Rikki felt all her uncertainty and nervous feelings fall away at the sound of that smooth voice. She smiled as the man stepped aside, allowing her to enter.

She was not alone.
Walking side by side with the man Rikki saw many of Treno’s citizens kneeling on the floor before another person draped in black.
We’re called Shozenites, the man led Rikki into a smaller room. We’re here to make your lives better.
“Better?” Rikki repeated. The room she was in now was windowless. Only a small candle was lit to keep the darkness from swallowing them. About eight children kneeled on the floor, their full attention fixed on a Shozenite before them. Rikki looked around for the man who had been talking to her but he was nowhere to be found.
Sit, sit. Don’t be afraid. A voice bathed in honey washed over the girl. Rikki turned back to the other children suddenly anxious. Their bodies were rigidly straight and lifeless. They didn’t blink or move their eyes no matter how long she watched them. Rikki recognized the boy from the cable car the other night with a fixed grin on his face.
“I have to go home now...” Rikki whispered weakly through the silent air.

She backed up slowly, feeling for the door with her deft fingers. The Shozenite put both of its gnarled hands to its head and turned to face Rikki. Again the voice in her head rose but this time louder and sharper.
“Sit. Sit NOW!”
Tears leaked from the girl’s eyes as she tired to ignore it. She took a wobbling step towards the rest of the kids and then another.
“No, please,” she whimpered. The voice laughed and as the Shozenite removed its hands from its head Rikki heard the laughter continued but now back in its honey form.
Sit child. I won’t hurt you.
Rikki kneeled unwillingly amongst her stone still peers. She placed restless hands in her lap trying to look at nothing else but her fingers. Catching sight of the rigid body in front of her Rikki elevated her eyes unable to stop herself. Her gaze traveled over the back of the boy’s neck to his hair in horror. She felt her vision being pulled to the emptiness of the Shozenite’s face. She trembled slightly when she felt her eyes make contact with the shadowy face and then she lost feeling in her legs. The paralysis crept over her body freezing her torso, arms, and neck. Her pupils expanded to double their size and a smile played across Rikki’s face before her lips lost movement too. In her mind the being spoke to her as it did the other children. She was aware of nothing but the Shozenite as it preached to her until the sunlight faded and the factory grew darker still.
© Copyright 2004 Paige Jessica (UN: hoshi87 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Paige Jessica has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/311413