*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/311661-A-Princess
by Trisha
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #890683
When humans kill a fairy, his wife seeks revenge against the species. Book 1 FINISHED!
#311661 added January 14, 2005 at 9:35pm
Restrictions: None
A Princess
Marina slowly made her way to the inn. She had gone through the trees and fields and come out at the land behind the inn. Aunt Jassy would be angry when she saw that Zander had come back long before Marina did. But she didn't care. She had needed time to get her bearings together after she and Zander "talked".

She wasn't planning on going back home, but just the same-- she felt safer knowing that she didn't have to worry about anyone trying to kill her.

She opened the back door that led to the kitchen. Aunt Jassy was probably in there working on the mid-day meal with Mrs. Kent and Miss Perch. Sometimes Aunt Azale (Wenda's mother) came to help. Wenda, Rachel (one of Aunt Julietta's daughters), Christa and Faye (cousins by marriage from Aunt Julietta's husband's side) would be in and out serving. Aunt Jassy would probably put her to work. As long as she didn't have to serve the customers, Marina would actually welcome having something to do.

As she opened the door, she didn't hear the usually clang of pots and pans as they were placed on stoves and stirred, or the clank of plates and cups being filled and placed on trays, nor the chopping of food, the pounding of footsteps quickly moving around the kitchen, and the chatter of the cooks.

She saw why when the door opened all the way. No one was inside. Was it later than she thought? No, the clock over the fireplace said 12:46. The mid-day meal wasn't over until 1. And cleaning up took at least another hour. Walking to the big table in the middle of the room, she set the basket down. Where was everyone? She didn't even hear the noise of customers in the dining room.

She walked toward the dining room door to see what was going on. A board creaked behind her. She stopped and turned around hoping it was Aunt Jassy. But it wasn't and she stared, unable to speak, at the man before her. He was in his forties, and wore a gray short tunic, knee high black boots, and a red cloak. His blond hair was cut just above his shoulders and there was stubble on his face. On his cloak was the seal of the queen.

"Burdett!" Marina finally gasped.

"Your Highness," the head of the queen's guard said. He took a step toward her. "I never thought I'd find the Princess of Brovan... in a peasant's sty."

Marina took two steps away from him. She might be able to run through the dining room.

"H-how did you find me?" She asked.

"Does it matter?" Burdett said. "You knew I'd find you eventually. I always get what I'm hunting for."

Marina shivered. Burdett was the queen's right hand man. If he was here that meant she must have sent him. No one frightened her more than the queen.

Behind her the door to the dining room opened.

"Marina!"

Marina turned away from Burdett at sound of the familiar voice.

"Autumn?" She said.

Autumn ran to her and embraced her.

"Oh! Marina, I've missed you!" Autuman said. "I'm so glad you're alright."

Marina hugged her cousin tightly. Tears filled her eyes at the joy of the friend in her arms and the fear of what stood behind her. Finally, the two pulled away from each other.

"Autumn, I saw your carriage go by in town today. What are you doing here?" Burdett must have followed Autumn as she came for a visit.

Autumn smiled brightly,
"I came for you!"

"Came for me?"

"WE came for you," Burdett said.

Marina turned to Burdett.

"We?" She looked back at Autumn. "But--"

"Marina," Autumn said, "when I first received your letter, I thought you were joking about running off. Burdett came to Hagery and me about a week after you'd gone. I didn't say anything then, because I was sure you'd return soon. And the way it was put was that you were merely traveling around the country and they couldn't recall where you were at the moment."

Marina crossed her arms.

"But as soon as I realized you meant to stay away forever," Autumn continued. "Well, of course, I had to speak up."

"In my letter I told you not to tell anyone,'" Marina said, tears choking her words.

"Marina, you are so childish!" Autumn said. "You can't run off like some vagabond on a whim. You are the princess for Godsake! Your place is at the palace, by the hand of the king. You are lucky Her Majesty the queen cares so much about you--"

"The queen! You did this for the queen?!"

"Marina, Her Majesty was so worried about you. She came to me herself scared to death that you had been hurt or killed."

"The queen cares for nothing but herself."

"How dare you say that! The poor queen has been like a mother to you, Marina, and this is how you thank her? By breaking her heart? When I showed that letter to her--"

"You showed her the letter!"

"--And all those awful things you said about her being an ugly, old, witch! If only you could have seen her tears and anguish when she read it."

"How could you betray me like that?" Marina asked, tears streaming down her face.

"I did not betray you. I am helping you."

"But you don't turn on family. I am your cousin!"

"And she is my queen."

Autumn motioned with her hand. Two soldiers came from behind Marina and each grabbed one of her arms.

"What are you doing?" Marina asked.

"You have to go home," Autumn said.

"Take your hands off me!" She ordered. " I will not go anywhere with you!"

"That's a shame," Burdett said. "I had hoped it wouldn't come to this." He snapped his fingers.

Through the back door entered Aunt Jassy. A soldier's arm was around her waist and a knife at her throat.

"This is your mother's sister, is it not?" Burdett asked with a smirk. "If you don't come with us, your mother's beloved sister will die. As will each of her children and every member of this family until you consent."

Here in front of her stood a woman who had done everything for her. She took her in even though she hated her family and class. She gave her protection from those who would harm her. And for all this she only asked that Marina help out a little, do her share as everyone else did. If she did not want to be a princess, then she could not act like one. And all this Aunt Jassy had done all because she was her sister's child. All because they were a family. Marina looked back at the woman who had been her friend since girlhood. Autumn had turned her back on her all for the sake of loyalty to a crown that would shove a knife in her back at a moments notice.

She may be of the blood as Autumn, but she was not like Autumn.

"I will go," she said.

"Quietly?" Burdett asked.

"Yes, quietly."

Burdett nodded and the soldier left go of Aunt Jassy. She clutched her throat and breathed in deeply.

"There now," Autumn said, "it is nigh time you grew up. All this child's foolishness is simply silly, Marina."

"Do not address me so," Marina coldly said, turning to Autumn. "You want me to be a princess, then you will treat me as such. Hence forth you will call me Your Highness, Lady Autumn."

"Really, that is not necessary. We are family--" Autumn began.

"Silence!" Marina said loudly. "Do not speak unless first spoken to."

Autumn pieced her lips together in silent anger.

"The carriage has been brought around, sir," one of the soldiers said.

"Good," Burdett said, "let's go."

The soldiers at her arm pushed her forward.

"Do you mind?" Marina asked Burdett.

"Let her go," Burdett said to the men, "she'll come."

Marina rubbed her arms where the men had gripped her. A carriage waited for her at the back door. Aunt Jassy stood a few feet away; Marina walked over to her.

"The basket's on the table," she said. "I got everything off the list."

Aunt Jassy grabbed her hand.

"Thank you Sn-- uh, Marina," she said giving her hand a squeeze. Marina knew Aunt Jassy was silently asking her not to reveal their involvement with the rebels.

"Everything will be fine," Marina said, squeezing her hand back. "You have my word."

"We don't have much time," Burdett said. "I want to reach Akinsis by Thursday. If we don't leave soon we won't make it until Friday."

"Goodbye Aunt Jassy," Marina said.

"Goodbye... Marina," Aunt Jassy said.

Marina climbed into the carriage with Autumn. Burdett took the other carriage, and his men mounted their horses.

As they galloped away, Marina stared at the beautiful roses that grew upon the walls of her mother's beloved home. And her heart felt like crying. For a little while, it had truely been her home too.


















© Copyright 2005 Trisha (UN: sharnises at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Trisha has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/311661-A-Princess