*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/314570-Chapter-Four
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #909432
A historical romance about Lindsey and Ashton
#314570 added November 17, 2004 at 2:17am
Restrictions: None
Chapter Four
Chapter Four


Sunshine peered on the horizon for the first time in what seemed like ages. Giving the city a breath of fresh air, once again life, a change to the death that had taken hold of everyone. The birds chirping their happy songs, the noise of the hackneys in the street, even children playing. Waking up to a beautiful day, the staff even had a spring in their step, while going about their chores.

Still in bed, Lady Payton, was resting in sweet slumber. No one had the heart to wake her, since they knew most of her nights where filled with nightmares or even restless nights of walking through the house.
Last night had been different however, no screaming, no footsteps heard in the halls, they knew she had slept for the first time in a long time. The fact was, the night before had been so quiet, that every was able to get a good nights rest, a first for many, who had trouble listening to their mistresses cries in the dark hours.

The clock in the hall chimed the time as eight , and the first of many knocks sounded at the front door. Sam answered the door quickly hoping the noise would not disturb the lady of the house.

The first of many people to arrive was the plump balding man dressed in a dark brown suit, with drawings for the new furniture, named Mr. O’Shea, he was showed promptly showed into the library. Entering the room, he saw that his services would be greatly needed, and he recalled the note he received only half an hour ago. Instructed to take a seat, he did just that, finding a place on old settee and started looking through his drawings.

Before Sam could even find the maid, to summon the mistress of the house, the door knocker sounded again. This time it was a very slender but beautiful woman with dark black hair that walked proudly through the door with her assistant. The girl that was tagging along, had her arms full of cloth samples for the windows.

Giving her name as Mrs. Stocks, she explained to Sam about the note she had received this morning, stating that she had to cancel her other appointments for this morning. Politely, Sam nodded and showed both ladies into the library also. Greeting the ladies as the walked into the room Mr. O’Shea, stood and then moved giving the ladies the settee, then found another seat in a leather back reading chair.

Turning around to finally find the maid, Sam didn’t have to look very far. Josie and the Lilly were standing in the door way to the dining area, wondering what all the commotion had been, they hadn’t had this many visitors since before the master left. Sam informed both women about what the days plans would be, and they both scurried to get things done, Josie went upstairs knowing she had to wake Lindsey, reach her door, she hesitated for a moment and then knocked.
Lilly, on the other hand, didn’t know they would be having other mouths to feed, and hurried off to the kitchen, mumbling something about Sam having forgot to say anything about the company she would have to feed.
Sam turned back to the front door, wondering how many other people would be arriving today, Ashton had gave him several messages to be sent out the night before.

Rubbing his head, he had no idea that the people getting the messages would be arriving this very morning, had he known he might have told the cook and the maid to be ready. Just then the knocker was tapped on the door again, with a sigh, Sam knew today would be a very long day, and it had only began.

Opening the door, he saw nothing but flowers, no person, just flowers. The flowers then spoke, “yer, dis the Payton house?”

“Yes, it is, might I help you?” Sam asked, holding back a chuckle.

“Flowers for Lady Payton, all paid for.” holding the flowers out to the doorman he couldn’t see.

“By who?” being nosey the butler asked.

“Er, Lord Manning, got his note, paid more if sent right away. So, here I am.” he said, hoping his quiz was over.

Trying to find the best way to take the blooms, Sam grabbed a handful of something, hoping it was the vase, wondering where to put something so huge. The table in the foyer wasn’t strong enough to hold so much weight, it was old, almost as old as he was.

Turning this way and that, he told the man that brought the flowers, “stay here and I’ll fetch you a tip.”

“Um, no need, already got it.” he finished and then turned and walked off.

Leaving the door wide open, Sam quickly made his way into the dinning area, setting the vase down, then turned back toward the door to close it. It was too late, someone else was slowly walking through it.

“May I help you?” Sam asked of the new visitor.

“A note was sent to me, this morning, it said it was of utmost importance. So, now I am here.” the kind young lady said.

“Everyone else is in the library, come this way.” shutting the door behind her, hoping no one else would be knocking anytime soon.

“If you would please have a seat with the others, Lady Payton should be down soon.” he said while opening the door.

The lady walked threw it and then turned and looked back at the butler, “sir, are you sure your lady would want me to take her measurements in front of these other people?”

“Oh, um,” stumbling for the right answer, Sam said, “Lady Payton’s measurements?”

“Why yes, I am the assistant to Mrs. Gaston, the dressmaker, my name is Miss Palmer. I was sent to get the measurements and return to Mrs. Gaston’s as quickly as I could, so that she could get the dresses sent over this afternoon or tomorrow, as stated in the note.” she said, then handed Sam the note.

Glancing at the paper, he saw that it was one that was sent out that very morning, then said “very well, my lady shall be down soon and you may talk with her.”

Nodding she said “thank you” then turned and went into the room with the others that were awaiting the lady of the house.

Turning back toward the foyer, the butler let out a huge sigh, and slid into the nearest chair. Sam could only hope that this would not be what was expected for the next few weeks. Standing back up, he remembered that the flowers had a note attached that was to be sent up to his lady’s room. Walking back into the dinning area, Sam wasn’t sure if he should just take the note or the entire vase up to his employers room.

***


Scurrying up the steps, Josie quickly made it up to her lady’s chamber door. Softly knocking, she first noticed no answer, then giving the door another bang, she heard Lindsey groan, a sign to come in. Opening the door, she noticed the chair wasn’t in its normal spot against the wall, but put her attentions to getting her employer out of bed. Giving the curtains a good shake, she opened them up, revealing the bright sun the day had offered. Giving a small wince, Lindsey peered out from under the blankets, sitting up to see what was going on. She not heard all the noise from down stairs and had no clue that she had so many people waiting on her.

“My lady, you have some visitors waiting for you.” Josie said, as she walked into the closet and was seeking out a day dress.

“Who is it?” Lindsey responded, looking around her, noticing that Ashton was not in the room.

“I am not sure, Sam sent me upstairs as soon as the second came to the door.” she said gathering some slippers.

“The second?” Lindsey questioned.

“Yes, ma’am, um, which would you like to wear,” noticing that she had picked out Lindsey’s outfit without even asking.

Not in the mood to pick out her own clothing, Lindsey said, “what you have already picked out looks fine to me.”

Glad she had done well, she walked across the room and waited for her mistress to get out of the bed. Josie had heard the other door knock as she was coming up the stairs. Hoping that Lindsey would hurry was a true understatement. Lindsey gave out a huge yawn, then threw the blankets back and stood up, only to yawn again, stretching out her arms until she tippy-toed. Relaxing again, she started to disrobe herself, so she could be stuffed into a day dress.

Placing the corset around Lindsey’s waist Josie started the grueling process of lacing the back up. With Lindsey taking a deep breath, Josie gave a good tug and then tied the strings, the corset was always the one thing she hated doing the most. Taking a seat, Lindsey pulled her stockings on and slipped her dainty shoes on. Slipping the burgundy colored dress over her head Josie went to work on the buttons on the back. When the maid had finished with the buttons, Lindsey sat back down in front of her mirror. Josie quickly went to work on brushing out the long hair, glad there were not many tangles.

Almost making Lindsey jump out of skin, a knock came at the door, “come in,” she said instinctively.

Speaking through the door, Sam said “um, my lady, I can not at this time.”

Puzzled by his words, Lindsey took the brush from Josie, and motioned for her to answer the door.

“Why can you not open,” her words trailed off as the door came open and she was confronted by nothing but flowers, “oh dear,” is all she could think of.

“Thank you ever so much, Josie,” he said entering the room.

“My Lord! What is all that?” Lindsey asked as she stood and started to cross the room.

“My lady, these came for you just a short bit ago,” Sam said setting the vase down on the closest table he could find, “there is also a note,” handing it over.

“Thank you so much Sam, you are excused,” she said not even looking at the older man, just staring at the note.

Giving a shallow bow, Sam turned and left the room, shutting the door on his way out. Hardly even noticing all the flowers, she just stared at the note, taking her seat again in front of the mirror. Josie went back to work, yanking at a few of the tangles, then twisting and pulling Lindsey’s hair up into a coiffure. Holding the note in her hands, Lindsey decided to wait until after her maid left to read it. Knowing it was from Ashton, it felt like the paper was going to send flames through her hands.

Finished with Lindsey’s hair, Josie asked, “will that be all, my lady?”

“Aw, yes, it will be,” Lindsey said, not even looking up at her maid.

When the door shut, with a soft ‘click’, Lindsey opened the note and started to read:

‘My dearest Lindsey,

Good morning. By now you will have noticed that I have taken the liberty and placed you in charge of picking out the new furniture and its coverings. Along with the new drapes and other such things that will go with fixing this house up. I do hope you don’t mind but I haven’t the time to see to it myself. Sorry about this morning, I knew it would not look good if one of the house staff walked in and saw you with another man other than your husband. I hated dreadfully to leave your side, but I did not want to wake you, you were sleeping so soundly. I shall see you tonight. Til then, my sweet.

Always Yours,
Lord Manning’

Lindsey wasn’t sure if she should be mad at him for assuming she had nothing better to do with her time than to see to all these people he had sent for. No, she wasn’t mad, he was right, last night she did finally rest. Of course, it was in the comforts of his arms that had made her sleep so good. Standing up to go attend to the people that were awaiting her she saw her reflection in the mirror, she was blushing.

Had the idea of Ashton’s warmth made her blush or had it been the dream she had of him? Either way, she had to get those thoughts out of her head before she greeted her company. Opening the drawer, Lindsey placed the note under the ribbons, planning on moving it later when she had a chance to find a better hiding place for it.

Shutting the drawer, she heard another knock at the door, knowing full well who it was, she called out, “I’m on my way.”

With that she was out the door, to deal with the things Ashton had assigned her to do. Descending from the stairs, Lindsey walked to the library door, taking a deep breath, she entered. Greeted with many faces she had never seen before, she was overwhelmed.

Everyone was standing, waiting for her to do something, all she could do was hold her breath, then finally letting it out slowly. She was able to get her thoughts into order and regained her composure.

“Good morning, I am Lady Payton, now how might I help everyone, but please one at a time.” she said, hoping she had expressed herself correctly.

“I am Mr. O’Shea and I brought drawing samples for you to go over, for the new furniture.” the plump man said cheerfully.

“Well, having canceled my appointments this morning, we also brought samples for you to view, for the new curtains. My name is Mrs. Stocks, and this poor creature is Mary.” nodding to her assistant.
Handing the bundle fabrics to Lindsey, Mary sweetly said, “morning ma’am,” then sat down.

“Thank you,” Lindsey said to the assistant. Turning her attention to Mrs. Stocks she continued, “I’m very glad you could change your schedule for me.”

The last person to speak was the quiet, seamstress’ helper, “good morning, my lady, I work for Mrs. Gaston, I was sent here to take your measurements. I can see that your afternoon will be full, so I can come back at a later time, if you would like.”

“Did you say measurements?” Lindsey asked with a puzzled tone.

“Yes ma’am, I was sent here by Mrs. Gaston this morning, with your note,” she trailed off, realizing that Lady Payton had not known about the note.

“A note, I haven’t sent any notes, can I please see this note,” she said knowing full well who sent the message.

Handing the paper to Lindsey, Miss Palmer asked, “did
you not send for our services?”

Glancing at the note, she saw the handwriting and immediately knew who had sent the message. Ashton had been the one that had set all this up, but why had he sent a dressmaker? Lindsey was in no need of new clothing, even though her dresses were of the older fashion, they were still in good condition. Clearing her thoughts on why Ashton would do this, she looked back at the simple girl, who seemed only to eager to please.

“Oh, goodness, I should have plenty of time,” looking at the others, “it will not take long to pick out which furniture and fabrics to use. Now what did you say your name was miss?” Lindsey said, recalling that the lady hadn’t introduced herself like the others had.

“So sorry Lady Payton, my name is Miss Palmer.” she said softly.

Lindsey could tell that she didn’t quite like Mrs. Stocks, she seemed rude, but Mary on the other hand, was kind hearted. From what she could tell, Mr. O’Shea was a humble man, very cheerful, the kind of man she liked to do business with. Now, Miss Palmer, she thought, was very quiet, it almost seemed as if something was wrong with the poor girl.

“Now if you would please, I think that the best way to get everyone quickly on their way. First off, the furniture,” looking over at Mr. O’Shea, “I understand that you have drawings for me to look at?”

“Yes, ma’am,” he said handing her the drawings with a smile.

“Very well,” looking down at the papers, Lindsey quickly saw that she liked what she saw, “I see we have much the same taste, I trust these are made of cherry wood?” looking up and seeing the man nodding his head in agreement.

“Good then, I shall see more drawings of the other furnishings for the other rooms later in the week? I shall pick out a color for fabric then.” she asked.

“Oh, yes, later this week will be fine.” he said.

“That is good to hear, thank you for your time, Mr. O’Shea. Please contact me if you have any other questions, send a message.” she said, hoping that he wouldn’t have any problems.

“Thank you, good day ladies,” he said giving a little bow to women, then left the room.

“Now, as for the windows, these fabrics are all beautiful,” seeing the face of Mrs. Stocks glow with pride, Lindsey continued, “I like this shade of blue.”

“Yes, very good choice, I think that will go well with the dark wood you like, but a lighter color for the tie-backs would be recommended.” she said in a snotty voice.

“Yes, I agree, a cream color, I feel would be good. Thank you very much.” Lindsey said in a stern voice, almost dismissing the woman.

“Oh, ok, well, thank you for your time. My assistant will have to stick around for awhile. I will need measurements for the fabrics,” Mrs. Stocks said.

“That will be fine, I will have my butler show her around the house so she can get the numbers she needs,” Lindsey said, glad that she was still in control.

“Thank you, ever so much,” speaking to Lindsey just before she stood and walked toward the door. Then turned to Mary, “you know what to do, now don’t forget anything, I don’t want to have to send you back this time.” she said sternly.

“Now, Miss Palmer, that leaves plenty of time for you to take your measurements that you will need, I would rather you do that in my dressing area,” Lindsey said while standing.
© Copyright 2004 Haven Rich (UN: havenrich at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Haven Rich has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/314570-Chapter-Four