*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/314704-Chapter-Nine
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #909432
A historical romance about Lindsey and Ashton
#314704 added November 18, 2004 at 2:41am
Restrictions: None
Chapter Nine
Chapter Nine


Only a few moments later the carriage pulled to a stop, they had arrived at Ashton’s home. The door swung open and the driver held out his hand for the maid and cook. Taking a good hold on Lindsey, Ashton lifted her back into his arms. He tried to be gentle moving slowly getting out of the carriage, not that Lindsey would have known, she was completely unconscious. Taking great care not to bump her head on the way through the door, Ashton found his way to a room for Lindsey, close to his own. The room was much larger than the one she had at her own house, this one was fit for a queen, maybe in the past it had.

He figured that if she was close enough, maybe she would be safe enough here. Placing her on the bed that had satin sheets, he unwrapped her from the blankets. Seeing in her nightgown, with the laces untied at the top, he could just about see the fullness of her breast, it took his breath away. Not being able to finish what he was doing without having lusty thoughts, Ashton put some distance between them. He found her maid in the hallway and asked her to tend to the rest of the things, like getting her comfortable. It was bad enough that he wanted her in every way, but while she was injured and unable to defend herself? Hell it seemed she needed protecting not only from her husband but from him as well. Instead of taking the time to sort through his feelings, he decided to hand out some orders for the next day.

Thinking Lindsey would need to be seen by a doctor, Ashton put that at the top of the list. She would also need to have her appointments for the next couple of days put off until she was ready to deal with it. This almost made Ashton feel good, to take care of Lindsey, this was what he wanted to do, to take care of her forever. There would be a bed brought into the next room so Josie could be close, just incase Lindsey awoke while Ashton wasn’t home. He could only hope that she would awake soon. Longing to see her angry face, her smile, anything at this point would be better than seeing her like this. Thinking it would be best to have her watched at all times he requested to see her staff.

Instructions were given that Lindsey was not to be left alone at any time. Ashton would stay with her during the night but Josie and Lilly would take turns watching her during the day. Lord Manning’s staff was already full and really didn’t need the extra help, so Ashton felt their services could be better placed by watching Lindsey, he explained. He knew that all three members of her staff were very much like family to her and they would have no objections to keeping a close and careful watch over her.

***


A two weeks had passed and still Lindsey hadn’t seen any improvement which put a dark mood over the house. The doctor came every morning, but still no hope, he said that only prayers would be able to save her now. Ashton was simply beside himself, he would stay at Lindsey’s beside until just before dawn then it was Josie’s turn to watch over her. Still having to deal with the renovations at Lindsey’s house, Ashton placed Sam in charge over the small details. Meeting with Lilly at nightfall, Ashton would get the updates of the day, but it was still not good news. Lindsey just laid there, not having moved much since the night he had brought her to his home. He hadn’t heard her voice since then either, something he missed with all his heart. The only type of activity Ashton had seen from her, was her fitful dreams she had been having and he wasn’t about to tell Josie or Lilly about that. It would only make them worry more, which the added stress was something they didn’t need right now.

Tonight wasn’t much different that before, Ashton spoke with Lilly outside of the room, only to be informed that there had been no change. Dismissing her for the evening, he walked into the room, taking his normal place, sitting in a chair beside the bed. Snuggling her hand close to his face, he could feel the warmth of her skin, but it wasn’t enough for him. He wanted to be in her heart, to become one with her, his love for her had grown into something more than even he could imagine.

The worst thing in the world was the fact that he had no control over what was going on with her body. He could order her servants around but her body would not listen to his command to get better. He felt helpless around her, and as with most men, he hated that more than anything in this world. Ashton wanted so much for his word to heal everything that was wrong with her, but that did not happen. Right now he couldn’t even ask if she wanted his way of life, even that would be better than this.

Ashton would give her the change if only she could open her eyes and ask for it, he would not force it upon her. The more he thought about it, first he would have to explain what he was to her. He would have to let her know all his darkest secrets, things he had never before told another living soul. How would she act if she knew the truth? Would she still love him for the monster that he was? Or would she run in fear, banishing him from her site as well as her heart?

No, he could not ask her, nor tell her about his true self. Not yet, anyhow. What he was would still have to be hidden deep inside his soul. Ashton would just have to wait for a better time to let her judge him and their love someday. But that would not be this day, no, he would have to hope that she would recover all on her own. Damn, he hated not being in control.

Knowing that he should have let the maid keep vigil at night but that was the only time he could spend with her. Still wanting to be closer to her, he slipped his boots off, letting them hit the floor with a ‘clunk’. He then stripped himself of his cravat and shirt, laying them somewhat neatly on the chair. Looking at her face, he wasn’t sure if he should do away with his breeches or not. Deciding that he should leave them on, just incase someone might come in during the night. He slid his way under the blankets, inching his way closer to Lindsey’s unmoved body.

Wrapping his arm around her and touching her skin sent heat waves through his body like lightening. His only wish would be that she respond to his touch, but he had to settle for just being able to be near her. Being this close to her, he could feel her heart pounding against her chest, it was still very strong. That proved most promising, now if she would only open her eyes.

Ashton almost at wits end, decided maybe he if talked to her, maybe she could hear him. “My sweet, I do wish you would wake-up and come back to me, you belong here with me,” he whispered. “You have nothing to fear now, you are safe in my arms, as you shall be forever more.” A mixture of fear and anger swelled deep in his body, confusing him very much. He wasn’t sure if he should be fearful because he could save her, or angry because he hadn’t prevented the attack on her. Either way, he blamed himself, he had mess up and he would be the only person to carry the guilt.

Kissing Lindsey gently on the forehead, Ashton mumbled softly to her, “oh, my darling, I do wish you would awaken, you have not told me about your day. Matter fact, you have not told me of your day since you have been here. I would love so much for you to tell me if you like my home.” He knew he was talking nonsense but he couldn’t help himself, he just wanted to speak with her.

“Um, well, I don’t rightly know yet,” Lindsey said with a deep sigh, “I haven’t seen much of it.”

Shocked, Ashton fumbled for words to say, he didn’t know if he should just take her in his arms and hold her close or if he should awake the others and inform them of her condition. Deciding for the moment he wanted her to himself he answered, “well, my darling, how was your nap?”

A soft groan escaped her lips before she said, “hm, I don’t quite think I’m finished with it yet. What day is it anyhow?”

“My sweet, you have slept for more than day, its been a fortnight, I would hope that you would feel more than rested,” he joked.

“Oh, dear, I couldn’t have possibly have slept for that long, you jest,” still trying to gain her energy.

“No, I do not, you have slept for two weeks my dear. I never thought it would be possible to sleep that long but you have sure proved me wrong on that account,” he said with a grin on his face.

“I would have never thought it possible either, if you hadn’t told me that indeed I have been asleep that long. Truth be told, I still feel as I could sleep another week,” she teased.

“No you won’t, I will not allow it,” he said sternly.
She gave a soft laugh, not even attempting to start a fight.

Instead she just moved closer to his body, wishing her body didn’t feel like she had just fought an entire war by herself. She wondered if she should even take the time to look into a mirror, guessing she must look like some sort of monster. Not really remembering anything that happened, which had put her where she was, she decided that now wasn’t the time to find out. All she wanted to do was rest some more in the comfort of Ashton’s arms.

Her body next to his was exactly what he had hoped for, no, wished for. Ashton was very pleased that Lindsey had finally woke-up but he wondered if she truly knew what had happened to her and why she was in his house to begin with. Whispering softly into her ear, “do you recall how you came to be here?”

“No, actually I don’t have any memory before, hm.” She tried to think of what the last thing she remembered before she went into blackness. Ashton looked into Lindsey’s eyes hoping she would remember something, if anything at all. It was as if he could see her going over all the events for the past month in her mind, trying to figure out which one was the last she could remember. Finally, after searching for a good few seconds it came to her.

“I remember writing you about my day but im afraid that is all. Did you get the letter? I am most certain that I had it sent to you. Didn’t I? After that everything went foggy in my mind,” looking at Ashton, hoping he had the answers to fill in the void in her head.

“I see, well for the moment, as much as I hate to say this, I think it would be best if I didn’t tell you anything,” thinking this would be the best for her. She opened her mouth to say something in protest but Ashton added, “at least until the doctor sees you in the morning and agrees that it would be ok.” He hoped that his reasoning would be enough, until he knew exactly how to explain everything to her.

Fighting back the urge to argue she just mumbled, “if you truly think it best to wait for me to see the doctor. He will be here in the morning right?”

“He has been since you,” wondering how to put it so not to give it away. “Since you decided to take a nap,” he teased. Ashton felt like he should have won some type of award for totally avoiding the truth, no matter how much he hated to lie to her.

“I wasn’t napping and you know it, you just wont tell me the truth but I will find out soon enough, one way or another,” Lindsey said very determined. Right then she found him very annoying but didn’t have the strength to do anything about it. He could tell her, if he wanted to, matter fact he should have to tell her. Ug, why could she not remember what had made her sleep for so long. Whatever it was, it had left her with sore muscles and she was sure their was bruises also. No person could hurt this much without a bruise to two, or maybe even twenty.

Deciding to give up on trying to find out the truth, she relaxed back into Ashton’s warm arms. Thinking that she preferred this to anything in the world, well except maybe one other thing. Her cheeks blushed with the thought. How could she even be thinking of such things at this moment? She wasn’t even sure if she was strong enough to even get out of bed, much less do anything like that. Oh, but letting her mind relax, the thoughts were sweet enough, even if she didn’t feel like making them real.

Holding her close, he asked, “what are you thinking, my sweet?”

Lindsey panicked. Had Ashton been reading her thoughts this whole time? Nonsense, he couldn’t possibly be able to do that. Oh, she could almost die if he had been able to, trying to think clearly, she answered, “just thinking of taking another nap.” She hoped that the joke would not give him any hints of what she had truly been thinking about.

“Well, I suppose you have had a rough enough day, maybe a good nights rest will be the best thing for you. Besides we will be able to talk more tomorrow.”

His body screamed from deep within, that was not what he wanted. What he did want was to make love to her in celebration. To show her how glad he was that she had finally woke-up, instead of making his worst dream a reality. But instead, he guessed, for now he would have to be glad just to hold her again, knowing that she would in fact wake-up this time. Leaning over some, he placed a soft kiss on her forehead, but Lindsey was already well on her way to sleep.

With their bodies entwined into one, they both lay there, until they both fell asleep. They each dreamed in much the same way, entertaining the thoughts of making love to the other. Letting their will take over their minds with the thoughts they both longed for deep in their hearts.

Lindsey dreamt about him carrying her off to a safe place, much like a prince in a fairy tail whisking the princess off to his castle. Then finding a place to lay her so he could make her his. Kissing her so passionate that all other thoughts disappeared into mere nothingness. Whispering sweet nothings into her ear, while his hands roamed her body, taking care to touch every inch of her. Then finally, sinking himself into her, so they would only be one.

Ashton’s dream was much the same, except Lindsey was in control. She had rolled on top of his body with her hair falling around his face. Cupping her breast with his large hands, he rubbed his thumbs over her hard nipples causing her to moan softly. Then taking her own hands and guiding him until she had taken him fully within her. Rocking back and forth, up and down, her own body tensing against his, giving them both what they had desired for so long.

In both their dreams, their rhythm growing faster and faster. Their bodies melting together until neither one of them could take much more. Wanting to give her more, he reached between their bodies and began to massage her pearl, causing spasms of heat waves to rush through her body. Feeling her body shake and tense with his touch, his own body responded. The pressure mounting within him, until Lindsey’s own body gave way giving her complete fulfillment pushed him over the edge. Exploding his seed deep within her body, the both moaned in sheer pleasure.

***


When time came for Josie to take over the watch, she entered the room not prepared for what she saw. Gasping for air, she covered her mouth in shock. Seeing the way they were both holding each other a person would think they had been a happily married couple. As was, he was not her husband and should not have been laying next to her. Josie had no clue what she should do, if she should wake Ashton up or just go back to her own room.

Hearing movement in the room, Ashton awoke to a very shocked maid. Knowing he shouldn’t have fallen asleep like he had, he got up thankful that he decided to leave his breeches on. Maybe that would wash away some of the shock off of Josie’s face. Still not sure if she would spread gossip about what she saw, he thought it best to swear her to secrecy anyhow.

“Good morning, Josie, how did you sleep?” he asked.

“Very well, thank you, my lord,” she replied with a shaky voice.

“I know that you are in Lady Payton’s employment but I feel it would be best if no one else were to hear of this,”he searched her face, wondering what she was thinking. “Do we agree.”

“Yes, my lord, not a word, I would never do that to milady,” she said proudly.

“Very well, now I have a bit of good news for you,” thinking now would be a good time to speak about Lindsey waking up. This caught Josie’s attention even more than what Lord Manning had been wearing, or the lack there of. “Lady Payton awoke last night but only for a few moments. But I do wish to speak with you about that before she rises later.”

Curiosity and fear swept over Josie, hoping nothing major was wrong with her. Begging in her mind, no, praying for it to be nothing that couldn’t be cured, she asked, “yes, my lord, is something else wrong with her?”

“Oh, no, well in truth, yes. She has forgotten how she came to be here, and I feel it would be better not to tell her until the doctor has been able to speak with her. Make sure you explain to him what we have done, also to Lilly. I want to ensure that the truth wont cause her to relapse.”

Josie just nodded in agreement and also sighed a relief, she knew Lindsey would regain her memory in a day or so. But knowing full well that if Lord Manning thought it best for Lindsey not to be told about anything just yet, chances were it was the best to listen to him. That was one thing she admired about him, he was always looking for and giving her the best. “You have my word, my lord, I wont breath a word to her. I shall inform Lilly and the doctor of your wishes.” Wondering about Lindsey’s health, she asked, “my lord, do you think it would be safe enough for her to eat a good meal? She is getting really thin, with only getting the broth and water that we have poured down her.”

“Yes, make sure a tray has been brought up to the room, but I do feel it is too soon for her to be up and around. Well, at least until she has seen the doctor, he of course, will know the best thing for her.”

Bobbing a quick curtsey, she said, “yes, my lord, I shall see to it this very moment.”

The way Josie had disappeared, Ashton guessed she wanted to hurry and inform the others of Lindsey’s recovery. That suited Ashton anyhow, he could dress with more of a relaxed mode and he could sit and watch Lindsey sleep. Looking at her face it seemed different, even thought she had done nothing but sleep for the past two weeks, she seemed more alive now than before. Just then the clock on the mantle gave word that the time was just about six in the morning. Glancing up at the windows, the curtains were still drawn but he could feel the heat of the sun coming up, it was indeed time for him to retire for the day. He would hope the day pasted quickly, so he could see Lindsey again, only this time awake.

Gathering the rest of his things, he started to close the door behind him, but stopped, taking one last look at the woman in the bed. Oh, he hoped that he would fall asleep fast, so he could wake up and be with her again. With that he sighed, sending her a mental kiss and shut the door.
© Copyright 2004 Haven Rich (UN: havenrich at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Haven Rich has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/314704-Chapter-Nine