*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/314813-Chapter-Thirteen
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #909432
A historical romance about Lindsey and Ashton
#314813 added November 19, 2004 at 12:03am
Restrictions: None
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Thirteen


Returning to the house a little bit later, Ashton found that Lindsey was already asleep. Not wanting to wake her he went to his study and started to plan, not against Robert even he much wanted to but for Lindsey. These plans would bring a little bit of happiness for her, since he knew that he would have to inform her of the fire. It broke his heart knowing that he would have to tell her that one of the few things she held close was now nothing more than dust.

So, in turn he decided to plan a type of get away for him and Lindsey. Maybe a short trip to his country estate would be the best place for him to explain everything she needed to know and much more. A small smile started to show on his face, yes, he would also be able to be completely alone with Lindsey. Now that idea definitely perked his senses, they could spend all night together and no one would be there to care. Of course, there was still the pressing issue of telling Lindsey about all the personal items she lost.

Somehow it all seemed to be Ashton’s fault, he couldn’t keep from blaming himself, this was all his doing and only he could fix it.

Ashton spent the majority of the night sending out a few notices for preparation for his and Lindsey’s trip to the country. One of the notes was rushed to his country home so they would have everything ready for their arrival, since there was no need to show Lindsey an old dusty house. The good thing was that the some of the servants knew about Ashton’s family secret and he could be at ease there. Ashton could only think about how he would enjoy spending the alone time with Lindsey, the very much needed alone time. He knew there were still many things that he had to tell Lindsey, first off about her house but also about her family. Of course he would also try and answer any and all questions she had, starting with the ones she had wrote down.

Well, with luck they would be able to leave the next night and before dawn they would be more than half way there. That was the one thing Ashton hated the most, traveling at night and having to stay at an inn during the day, but it was a must. There was so much that he missed about true living but he really hadn’t missed it until he met Lindsey. It was then that he saw that there had been something missing in his life, he hadn’t noticed that he wished he could see the sun again. Enjoy the pleasures of taking a long walk with Lindsey through the park or riding horseback threw-out the countryside. The most Ashton thought about it, the more he hated what he was but he would have to find a way to do those exact things with Lindsey and still make the special. Because she was special, to him.


Early the next morning Lindsey awoke to a knock at the door. Still very much asleep, she groaned out “enter.”

“Morning, my lady, brought the breakfast tray up. Thought you might want to get an early start, since we will be traveling most of the night. I just need...” Josie’s words were interrupted by Lindsey’s shock.

“What did you say?” she quizzed.

“Ma’am?”

“What traveling? I have no intention of traveling today, where would you get that idea,” she asked just as Josie was handing her a note. Of course, it all made perfect sense now, Ashton.

“Oh, I was instructed this morning that you would be requiring at least a weeks worth of clothing, for your trip and that you would be leaving this evening, after nightfall,” Josie said, wondering if she was misinformed.

“I see,” realizing that she probably had no choice in the matter anyhow. She decided to inquire on something else altogether, “will the physician still be coming by?”

Josie looked up from her task, even her face showed that she had no clue about the doctor, “I do not know, my lady, but I can find out if you wish.”

“No, I’ll find out after I eat. You do what you’ve been instructed to do.” Lindsey thought for a moment. “You said you received a note with instructions, did it happen to say where I was traveling to?”

“No, ma’am, it did not. It just said that I was to pack your clothing and other items you might need on a trip. Not a single word was mentioned about where you would be going. I had thought you had made plans with Lord Manning last night,” she said, still gathering things from here and there.

“Very well,” she said as she sat down and started to sample the food that was on the tray.

Eating very little, Lindsey spent most of the next half hour just staring at the food on her tray. Josie on the other hand was very busy, having had a few large trunks brought in, she filled them full of clothing. She wondered how long they would be gone, surely there was enough clothing packed to last a lifetime.

If they were going only for a week or so, there wasn’t need for all her belongings to be packed or was that Ashton’s idea. Had he planned on taking her out to some remote location and forgetting about her? Maybe he grew hungry and was planning on feeding upon her, the idea shot through Lindsey’s mind. That was something she hadn’t brought herself to even think about until then. She knew he had to feed somehow but Ashton never seemed the sort that would harm anyone much less murder them. But she couldn’t help but wonder if that was what was in store for her now.

Before Lindsey knew it, she had caused herself to grow tired, mentally drained from all the thoughts that whirled through her head. She had found out from the butler than Ashton would be waiting for her just after nightfall and then they would be on their way. Since there was little else to do, Lindsey decided that she would rest up, so she could be awake in the coach ride to where ever it was he was taking her. Going back to her room, she found that Josie had finished packing all her things that she could possibly need and it was now quiet. Laying down on the bed Lindsey found her sleep quickly.

***


Running fast through an unknown rose garden, Lindsey tripped over an unseen branch. She had no idea where she was or even who was chasing her. Fear struck her like a lighting-bolt from the sky, who ever the person was, it was most important that she get away. Glancing around, she could hardly see anything around her except for the darkness around her. She had to rely on her other senses, she could smell the roses that were near her and the yelling of a man, the man that was chasing her.

“Where the hell are you?” the man shouted.

Lindsey could hear him yelling at her, she knew the voice but couldn’t think of who it was. The yelling got louder and louder making her heart pounder harder. She wasn’t sure if she should get up and run more or try and hide in the darkness of the bushes. The sound of foot steps came closer, now was the time to make up her mind and she couldn’t do it. Instead she froze, almost paralyzed on the ground, not even able to scream out for help. She was trapped and there was nothing she could do about it.

The voice shouted out again, “Lindsey, for the love of god, where are you?”

That voice, it was Ashton. It had to be him but why was she running from him, she did not fear him. She had no idea why she would run away from him or what was going on. He didn’t seem angry at her more like annoyed but why?

Standing up, she called out for Ashton, “I’m over here.”

Then a sharp pain suddenly throbbed in her leg causing her to sit back down and hope he found her soon.

“Lindsey, I need you to speak again, so I can find you,” he said.

“Right here, I can tell your close, it’s almost as if..” the leaves started to move, “your right here.

There you are,” she said, just as he made his way through the bushes.

“And there you are. Why, my dear, are you sitting on the ground?” He asked.

“I tripped over that bloody branch,” she pointed at the culprit.

“I see,” turning to see, then looking back down at her, “do you think you will be able to walk?”

“I’m not sure, I tried to stand a moment ago to no luck,” she said while rubbing her ankle.

“No problem,” he said.

Then with a smooth motion, he scooped her up into his arms and started walking down the path. With her arms wrapped around his neck, she could feel the warmth of his body next to his. It was as if he were on fire, something that she had never expected from a vampire. But all the same, it didn’t matter at that moment, what did matter was she was safe and in his arms. Or was she safe? It still made no sense to her why she was running away from the one man that she felt safe with.

“Why was I running from you,” she asked.

He gave a small chuckle, “because, my dear, you didn’t want to get caught.”

“I didn’t?” she said in a confused tone.

“Well, remember I told you that if you didn’t behave I was going to toss you into the pond. To which you replied that I must catch you first. Now let me see, which direction is it to that pond again,” he laughed.

“No! You wouldn’t. Would you?” She was shocked, wondering if he would really do that to her.

“No, I have much better plans for you,” he gave a soft groan.

Her breath was taken away, either that or she was holding it once again. And if that wasn’t enough to steal her breath away, he leaned over and gave her cheek a quick kiss. Then quickly made his way up the stairs on the path that lead to the main house. The only type of response she could give was her smile that shone brighter than the moon. Finally making their way to the house, Ashton set her down on a stone garden bench just outside the door.

Taking her ankle in his hand, he asked, “does this hurt right here?”

“Yes!” she yelled.

***


“Yes!” she yelled sitting up in bed.

“Well, now that I know the answer, might I know what the question was?” Ashton asked.

“Huh?” Lindsey mumbled the noticed she was in her room once again, laying in bed. “What did you say?”

“I asked what the question was, since you plainly gave the answer,” he smiled.

“Oh,” she paused trying to remember. “Oh, the question was if it hurt.”

“I see. And what was it that hurt?” still holding his gaze on her, enjoying this small game of cat and mouse.

“My ankle. I hurt it,” she tried to think of exactly what had happened. “I was running and tripped and fell down. Hurting my ankle along the way. Then you helped me and asked me if it hurt when you touched it. It hurt, a lot.”

Ashton couldn’t help himself any longer, he gave a loud laugh. Looking back at Lindsey, he could see that him laughing annoyed her. Her glare on him could set the fires in an ice storm but he couldn’t help himself. She was so beautiful sitting there just barely under the blankets, it almost made Ashton forget why he had come to her room in the first place.

“I fear I overslept?”she asked.

“Hm,” forcing himself back into reality, “oh, um, not at all. It’s just past nightfall and besides that’s why I am here. To wake you and let you know that we shall be leaving soon.”

“Oh, that reminds me,” she pushed back the blankets and got out of bed. “Where are you taking me. Josie must have packed everything I own and don’t for one moment think that I’m joking.”

“Well, my lady,” he gave his best smile he could, hoping that he would be able to get away with not telling her the truth. “That I can not say at this very moment. It would most definitely spoil the surprise that I have in store for you.”

Not sure if it was the fact that she had just awoke but somehow his words struck her odd. What if she didn’t want to be surprised? Maybe she didn’t feel up to a trip just yet, she was still healing was she not? Looking into his eyes, she saw that there wasn’t much choice, she would travel to the ends of the earth just to be with him. The more she looked at him the more she saw that she held no hope, she was lost within his gaze.

Reading her thoughts he decided it would be best not to comment on the things rushing through her head.

Instead he asked, “did you rest well?”

“Oh, yes, very well,” she replied. “Is everything in order for our departure?”

“Yes, indeed they are. Thought you might like a bite to eat before we take to carriage” he said, then thought again, “ or if you prefer, we can take a basket of food with us.”

The mention of food made her stomach growl, making her choice for her, “I’m sure that you are very eager to be on our way but I would rather take a meal before we leave. That is, if you don’t mind,” she quickly added.

“That is perfectly fine with me. Would you like me to ring for a tray so you might eat alone or would you like to take it in the dinning room?” he asked.

“I shall like to take a tray in my room but most definitely not alone. Will you not join me?” she asked.

Crossing the room, Ashton tugged on the bell-pull, then turned back to Lindsey. All he could think about what how much she still didn’t understand about his way of life. Even though he was ever bit human, there was still so many differences between them. He would have to explain more about himself to her over their trip and hope for the best.

“I will stay in here if you like but I have already eaten this evening. Thank you for the offer,” he responded, hoping his reasoning would be good enough.

“Very well, my lord. Maybe while I eat, you can tell me how the progress is going at my, um, I mean your townhouse. Since, you well know I haven’t been able to tend to it myself,” she said taking a seat close to the fire.

The topic he had hoped to avoid even more than the questions about the trip suddenly appeared before him. Ashton had no clue how to answer the sudden curiosity about the house. Of course he didn’t want to lie to her, but in truth what choice did he have? For a moment he thought about how to deal with this situation, then it came to him. He wouldn’t have to necessarily lie to her, just be vague about the happenings.

“Well,” clearing his throat before he continued, “I do think you will be shocked at the changes.”

“Oh really! I can’t wait to see how grand everything is going. I had so hoped that I would be able to take over things soon,” Ashton started to cough more and more. “Are you alright, my lord?” she asked.

“Oh, yes. I shall be fine in a moment,” he said, standing and making his way over to the window. “I think I need a bit of fresh air,” pushing open the window.

“Oh,” Lindsey had no idea what to do, she wasn’t sure if he drank plain water or if he even drank anything at all.

A knock at the door saved them both from the awkward situation that they were both facing.

In unison they both said, “come in!”

Opening the door, Josie carried the large tray in. The smell of the food consumed the room, causing Lindsey’s stomach to growl again.

“Evening, my lady and my lord,” she bobbed her head then set the tray down and then gave a proper curtsy.
Uncovering the plates the smell of food in the room grew even more.

“Um, smells delicious,” Lindsey said.

“Shall I make your plate, my lady?” Josie asked.

“No that wont be needed. Thank you, Josie,” she said.

Standing there for a moment, Josie quickly noticed that she was no longer needed and then made her way to the door. Reaching the door, she glanced back, Lindsey was already in the middle of preparing her plate and Ashton was still looking out the window. Neither of them noticed her leave as she shut the door behind her with a soft click.

Walking back over to were Lindsey was sitting, Ashton took a seat also. Smelling the food, he started to wonder how long it had been since he had last ate actual food or taken the smallest of bites. There were many things that he missed from his former life, the food was one.

“Is it good?” he asked, wishing he could take a bit for himself.

“Yes, very. Would you like some?” she asked, not even lifting her eyes from her plate.

“No, I can’t but thank you for the offer,” he replied.

Hardly even hearing what he said, she just mumbled her reply.

Within the half hour, Lindsey had finally finished eating. Ashton had though she was half starved but never said a word about her not so lady-like eating. In a way, it was rather amusing watching a woman that didn’t care what was expected of her but instead being herself. That in itself showed him that she was even more the right woman for him. She could be herself, no matter who was watching her and that made him happy. He was always attracted to ladies that knew themselves and rarely listened to the outrageous gossip of the ton. That was one thing Ashton knew, he was very attracted to Lindsey.
© Copyright 2004 Haven Rich (UN: havenrich at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Haven Rich has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/314813-Chapter-Thirteen