*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326243-Chapter-Fourteen
by seetah
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #935207
Caught stealing a wizards money pouch, Theo must work off her debt.
#326243 added February 3, 2005 at 4:30pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Fourteen
CHAPTER FOURTEEN

“Let’s get this over with!” growls Alfred.

“Have you determined the nature of the test?” inquires Queen Danika.

“I have,” Alfred has a smug look,” I am going to transport some sand from the Tam Ocean. Her job,” he jabs a finger at me, “is to move it from one side of the workroom to the other. The magic word is the same as the one I used to fix her book mess.”

Queen Danika looks me right in the eye, “begin when you are ready, take your time and concentrate.”

I look at Eli and he is holding both his thumbs up in the air, must be some weird Elf thing. I let out my breath Grandmother says to concentrate. My mind wanders a little bit as Alfred brings in the sand. That low life dirty rotten wizard! He didn’t bring over a little sand; he brought the whole beach! Forget about that, concentrate on what you need to do, this is as simple as moving one grain of sand from one side of the room to the other.

I scratch my head trying to remember the word that Alfred used; I replay the book mess in my head. Ah, that the word he used, time to begin.

I close my eyes and picture the other side of the room; I picture Alfred’s head about the size it would be in reality with all the bragging he does. Then I visualize the sand moving from one side to the other, filling in the picture Alfred’s head. “Ekim” I say in a loud voice that causes my eyes to fly open.

I stand there motionless, in fact, nothing in the room is moving. I rub my arm the tingle is back. One grain of sand sails across the room.

“Is that her magical ability?” mocks Alfred.

“Wait,” Queen Danika orders.

Soon another grain is joining the first, then another and another. Within a few minutes sand is flying everywhere. Everyone ducks and covers their face. Queen Danika raises her voice to be heard over the noise “No one interfere, the spell must finish on its own.”

Sand is everywhere and it feels like a thousand bee stings, I can hardly breathe. I keep my eyes and mouth shut to keep the sand out. All of a sudden it stops. Everyone straightens up and looks around. There on the other side of the room is a huge sand sculpture of Alfred’s head; all the sand in the room is used. The room is deadly silent I look at Alfred. His face is the color of lava coming from a volcano.

“Alfred mad, Alfred mad” Impi flies out of the room.

After taking a look at Alfred I wish I could follow the bird. Queen Danika is smiling and Eli is giving me that strange thumbs in the air signal.

Queen Danika steps forward and very formally says, “By the ancient test, this child has demonstrated her magical ability. Who will bear witness to this test?”

“I will” Lord Elysia steps forward and gives a low bow.

“We do,” the Elves from yesterday step forward and kneel.

“I then declare this test completed and witnessed.” Queen Danika continues, “Therefore we who have witness this test this day charge Alfred T. Neble with the training of his new apprentice, Theodora. He will teach her reading, writing, history and the proper performance of magic. He will instruct her in the rules and laws of magic. It will be his responsibility to see that she understands the proper uses of magic. It is wrong to harm another or to do anything that violates a person’s freedom. She must realize that what ever she sends forth comes back to her so she must use both her mind and heart when practicing magic.”

“So be it,” the Elves respond.

“I can’t train a girl,” huffs Alfred.

“By the rules of magic Theodora is now your apprentice. The test had been given and witnessed.” Queen Danika reminds him. She turns to Lord Elysia and gives him a kiss on the forehead. “Do not stay way from home for such long periods of time and bring your friend to visit me.”

“Yes Grandmother,” Eli gives her a kiss on the cheek.

She turns to me, “study hard, and prove that you are worthy of the title of apprentice.” With a big smile she continues, “and make sure that my grandson does not study too hard and that he brings you home for a visit.”

“Thank you,” I whisper as I give her a kiss on the check. My arm begins to tingle as the Elves start fading out. My eyes tear up as I realize that my life has changed forever. I also know that I have some pretty good friends.
© Copyright 2005 seetah (UN: seetah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
seetah has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326243-Chapter-Fourteen