*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326261-Chapter-Thirty-One
by seetah
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #935207
Caught stealing a wizards money pouch, Theo must work off her debt.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#326261 added February 3, 2005 at 1:55pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-One

This was easy; I don’t even have to think about it. “O Mighty Dragon, we came here because I had caused another problem that Alfred couldn’t set straight. He went to the Wizard Council for help and they said they would help for a price. So far the problem has not been fixed. My request of you is that you use your magic to help me set this problem straight.”

The dragon scratches. “My, my, now this seems like an interesting use of dragon magic. Please go on and explain.”

“It’s a long story so I’ll just give you the short version.” I sit down on a cushion. “I was helping Alfred with a spell when we were interrupted by his wife Hulda. Alfred made the comment that she is as stubborn as a mule.”

The dragon nods his head. “I know Hulda, that is an accurate comparison.”

I shrug my shoulders, “if you say so. Anyway, when Alfred made the comment the picture of Hulda as a mule came clearly into my mind.”

The dragon lets out a roar. “Don’t tell me, you turned her into a mule.”

I sigh, shake my head and raise my eyebrow. Yes, sir, I believe I did.”

The dragon is shaking; I think he is trying not to laugh. “So the mule that is with you is actually Hulda?”

I nod my head yes.

The dragon begins to shake even harder. “This I have got to see.” He turns to one of the monks waiting “please go get the mule from Theo’s room. Make sure that you reassure her that I will not be eating her for lunch.”

I finish my story. “That is why we are here. As I mentioned, the Wizard Council couldn’t fix the problem either, though we couldn’t give them all the detail because Hulda would have killed us. While they are working on finding out what went wrong we were sent on these task. As you know from experience, I have had this happen a few times when I picture something in my head and then it happens.” I finish in a rush. “So please won’t you turn her back into herself.”

The dragon doesn’t speak for a while as he waits for his shaking to stop. “Alfred, is this true? Did your apprentice turn your wife into a mule?”

Alfred snorts. “She’s a girl, how could she do magic. I don’t see how it is possible that she turned my wife into a mule but Hulda believes it to be true.”

“Alfred, that is a very old fashion notion that girls can’t do magic. I think Theo has proven it over and over again. Plus, you took a vow to teach her.” The dragon reminds Alfred.

“That was forced upon me by the elves.” Alfred protests.

Alfred is interrupted by a loud noise at the door. “I’m not going in there, I’m a mule, that’s a dragon. Are you a fool he’ll eat me for lunch.” Hulda protest.

The monk is trying to push her through the door. “I assure you he isn’t going to eat you”

“Hulda is that you I hear baying like a mule?” the dragon pipes up.

“Alfred you told!” Hulda runs in and butts Alfred so that he falls over.

“I did not, it was Theo.” Alfred picks himself up.

Hulda turns towards me. “Theo how could you?”

"Hulda, calm down and get over here.” The dragon orders. Young Theo has used her request by asking if I would use my dragon magic to turn you back into yourself. Now if you enjoy being a mule, I will gladly leave it up to the Wizard Council and let Theo pick another request.”

Hulda walks stiff legged over to the dragon as she keeps a wary eye on him. “That bunch of idiots. Whatever did Theo do to make that kind of a request to you? I do appreciate that she thought of me.”

I didn’t do anything.” I protest.

Hulda brays loudly. “Theo you have a way of not doing anything and getting into trouble. Now dragon lets get this over with before you decided to eat me.”

The dragon lets out a loud snort, I feel the hair on my arm raise, and the tingle flows through my whole body. I’m thinking I didn’t feel this the other; times because the dragon had so little magic left. The scales on the dragon shift color and begin to glow. I sit and stare in awe, even Alfred plops down next to me and stares with his mouth hanging open.

The dragon lets out a loud roar; there is a burst of multi-colored lights. When the spots leave my eyes there is Hulda one her hands and knees.

I rush over and help her up. I throw my arms around her and give her a big hug.

She hugs me back. “It feels so good to be back to normal.”

We all laugh.
© Copyright 2005 seetah (UN: seetah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
seetah has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326261-Chapter-Thirty-One