*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326506-Drivers-License-Renewal
by Joy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #932976
Impromptu writing, whatever comes...on writing or whatever the question of the day is.
#326506 added February 4, 2005 at 5:05pm
Restrictions: None
Driver's License Renewal
I just came home from renewing my driver's license. Phew! No, it wasn't the photo. Actually, the old woman that looks back at me from the license does look like me, unlike the previous ones who were Frankenstein's wives. At least, the gentleman who took the picture asked me to smile and didn't ask me to remove my eyeglasses like the earlier officials. I always felt, since I wear glasses non-stop, I should be portrayed with them sitting crookedly on my nose and to make up for the wrinkles, I should be allowed to smile. Someone must have seen my and other Florida residents' earlier photos and taken a pity on us.

It is possible that, after we were hit by so many hurricanes, the state of Florida has started having feelings for its residents. As a resident, I do feel for the state's problems also. Since the hurricanes have done away with the Motor Vehicle's and Tax Collector's building, they are operating from a temporary place, which was difficult to locate. Plus, some of the offices were still in tents and trailers.

The problem is, with so much confusion and so many people to process, they didn't have an information desk -booth, tent, whatever- visible to people. Everyone who came there with any reason was like a headless duck. Luckily, the state workers -despite all the people's work they are processing- were very patient and helpful.

Finally, I was shown where to sign in and took a seat in what was deemed to be a waiting room, a small space with a low ceiling and some chairs with fifty people waiting on line.

After waiting two hours plus and worrying about getting an asthma attack, I was called and the process fortunately took less than ten or fifteen minutes.

While I was there, I did some people watching, because you can see the most interesting people in the motor vehicle bureau of any state. In Florida, the variety is spectacular.

The best thing is, it is over, until next time.

© Copyright 2005 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/326506-Drivers-License-Renewal