*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332409-October-20-2004-kiwiangel
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
October 20, 2004: kiwiangel

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

*Reading* Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! *Reading*


You come across this site, by accident, or perhaps following a link from some entrenched Writing.com'mer. Soon you are drawn into the supportive community who all share a common dream and passion - writing.

After that initial excitement of finding Writing.com there comes the need to make the most of the many opportunities afforded. This newsletter is to welcome you, our 'Newbies' and to help make you experience here an exciting, friendly and rewarding time.

In this newsletter we will showcase some of our talented Newbies as well as providing handy tips and advice. We welcome you to submit questions, ask for help or say hello. We are here to help.

Many non-newbies read this newsletter to. A warm welcome to them and a huge thank you for helping to make our new members feel welcome and supported.

Your host this week is: Puditat
Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

noticing newbies - newsletter header


The Currency of Writing.com


When I first joined Writing.com back in February 2002, I received some gift points in my account. What a feeling it was. I was surprised, pleasantly, and I was curious. What did it mean? Very soon I realised the value of those gift points and since that time, more ways to spend those GP's have arrived.

If you are not sure exactly what a gift point is, refer to this link for a comprehensive explanation: http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/157441/system/1

There are many uses for your gift points - You can give them to encourage a fellow member, reward a great item or review, purchase an upgraded account, bid in a charity auction, pay for a contest entry (where it is required), gift merit badges members or awardicons to items, sponsor your own or another's item ... the list goes on.

But, when you are new to the site, the financial account may be small and you have not the cash to get these things. Gift points are a wonderful way to afford things on Writing.com and there are numerous ways you can accumulate them. Here are some ideas to boost your GP supply so that you can afford to reward someone else or to help become an upgraded member.

*Star* Enter competitions. Not only do you have the chance to win great prizes but you get exposure for your work also. Some contests require an entry fee, but not all. Make sure you read the rules thoroughly before entering to ensure your best shot at taking out a prize, then write your best work too. *Wink*

*Star* Complete Surveys. Quite often a survey will reward you for completing it. Not only that but they are fun to do.

*Star* Review other's work. The Review Reward System automatically gives you 50 Gift Points for reviewing someone you have never reviewed before. From time to time there are "specials" whereby yu get even more GP's (there is a current double-points-deal on till end of October!) You also get GP's for doing more than 3 reviews over 250 characters in length in any one day. Do more reviews and the higher the GP reward is. If you write a good review and make it public, others may gift you points to reward you for your work in supporting others.

*Star* Review Items That Auto-Reward. Some items offer a set-value automatic reward for reviews of 250 characters or more. These are great, but please be respectful and honour the system. Do not write superfluous words just to qualify for the length. This is unhelpful, dishonest and dishonouring.

*Star* Become an Entrepeneur. Do you have a service or ability that would help people and that they would be willing to pay for. You may be creatively gifted to make beautiful signatures, take wonderful photographs or draw exceptionl pictures that you could turn into C-Notes.

*Star* Get Exposure. Plug your items in review forums, review other's work. This will get you some return reviews and if people like your work, they may gift you points. A return review is a very minimum courtesy for these kind people.

There are probably many more ways to increase your GP holdings, these are just a few of the common ones that I could think of.

Thanks for reading.
Puditat
noticing newbies committee sig


Editor's Picks

Here is this week's offering of wonderful Newbie talent. Please take a moment to stop by. *Smile*

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#899077 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#899383 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#899492 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#899477 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#899522 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#899429 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#899412 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#899416 by Not Available.


Here are some links which you may find useful also.

A unique way of raising funds for something special. Loans need to be repaid.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#893971 by Not Available.


Some message forums review posters. This one rewards for a few reasons.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#798438 by Not Available.


A contest especially for Newbies, with no entry fee.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#741336 by Not Available.


A contest that doesn;t require a huge write. Fun and quick.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#775789 by Not Available.


Get exposure here.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#696105 by Not Available.


Earn extra GP's for reviewing at this wonderful forum.
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#717012 by Not Available.


 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

I enjoy receiving the Newbies NL. It is a good "tool" to get fellow writers a port visit. I usually write the listed Newbies down. I have a separate sheet of paper for each name. This is how I find people to r&r. Well, this NL is my main source. I love helping them. Keep up the great work.
ElizabethHayes-DaughterofIAM

Thank you for the tip on how you source items to read. It's wonderful to know there are so many people out there willing to lend an eye and some time to welcome the Newbies and help them. Keep it up!

Excellent newsletter about reviewing! You not only touched on reviewing alone, but on the reviewers. Good job and great tips!
Love, Cubby ")
Cubby

Thanks for your sweet comments. *Wink*

Um, I have a couple Qs:
Is there an erotica newsletter I'm missing?
And how do I get you to feature something from my port?
quarksoup

No problems, I hope my answers help:
1) There is no specific erotica newsletter. There is the Romance/Love one which may feature items in this category and topics which relate to the steamy side. You can find the list of newsletters under "My account -> Manage Newlsetter Subscriptions" (follow the link at the top of any page.)

2) Exposure: You can plug items through the Feedback form at the bottom of each newsletter. Another good way is to be active within the Community. Your name will pop up more and attract the attention of Editors looking for items. You can also submit your items to the many review forums available on Writing.com. It is all really about exposure - putting yourself out there to get noticed. Also ensure your items are correctly coded for genre. I myself search by keywords and genre when searching for items to feature, so use as many applicable keywords in your item as possible. *Smile*


I've been a member since January, and some days I still feel like I just started. Your editorial was the first I'd seen with a brief, helpful description of some of the R & R pages. Thanks!
Faery ~needs longer days

I am so pleased to hear that the information was useful. Thank you for your lovely feedback. *Smile*

the links you included in the email didn' work for me.
JMiles

That's unsusual. I am note sure why this is, All I can suggest is trying the refresh button on your browser in case the server had trouble finding the page at that particular time.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for JMiles ?


*Flower6*~~*Flower6*~~*Flower6*


Any queries, problems, praise or advice? Send it to one of Editors via the feedback form on this newsletter or direct to their email by clicking the wee envelope after their handle. *Smile*

*Flower6*~~*Flower6*~~*Flower6*


 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 03-03-05 @ 11:35pm | Modified: 03-03-05 @ 11:35pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332409-October-20-2004-kiwiangel