*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332568
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Inspirational · #655260
Each day is new and wonderful. What inspired me today? Find out here.
#332568 added March 4, 2005 at 12:31pm
Restrictions: None
Who Cares?!?
Who Cares?!?
So what if Martha Stewart is getting out of prison. There must be other news!
By Marilyn Mackenzie

It was noon and as I switched from one channel to the next, the only news appeared to be that Martha Stewart was getting released from prison. But there really was other news that could have been aired.

At the bottom of the page, words streamed by about local service men coming home from Iraq. That was news, and good news too.

The temperature appeared at the corner of the screen. 47 degrees. Now there was some good news! It’s been so cold this winter. Having the temperature reach above forty was more important to me than knowing that Martha Stewart was coming home.

I think the news media has done a disservice to young people today. They’ve made such a fuss about Stewart’s prison term ending. They didn’t tell what it was like to be in prison. And they didn’t tell that when regular folks get out of prison there are not new crews waiting to watch. They didn’t explain that folks who have been in prison often have a hard time getting a good job. No, they’ve glorified going to prison. How unfair is that?


© Copyright 2005 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/332568