*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/336597-A-full-house
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#336597 added March 23, 2005 at 10:46pm
Restrictions: None
A full house
Jay got there around 1:30. I thought I might get the matches on early. Shortly afterwards, S. walked in carrying a tripod and a huge duffle bag. No doubt carrying her camera. She's a local newsperson.

Stupidly I ask, “You’re filming?” Even though I see the tripod. I want confirmation.

“No actually. I’m walking.” She says. She has a smile on her face. “Filming and walking look exactly alike.” She says.

“Oh,” I say, “I often confuse walking with filming.”

Jay is laughing. S. goes on to say she gets accused of filming even when she is standing in the check out line of the grocery store.

Feeling like an idiot, I retreat into my office. It’s just, no one told me there would be filming today. At my facility. But anyway.

My hope of starting the matches early is shot down. The kids straggled in groups of threes and fours. Braces covering their teeth, tennis bags draped over their shoulders. The clock on the wall said 2:15. by 2:45, all matches were still warming up.

Except for the wind, it was a gorgeous day for tennis. Laney’s school did not measure up today. But then, there are considerations to be made. One, a tennis pro who played Wimbledon maybe five times coaches their team. Two, a nationally ranked player whacks the ball in the number one singles position. Three; Laney’s team has lost five players this season. They now attend colleges in the southeast. Oh well.

The good news, I know all of these people. A lot of their kids have been on the many junior team tennis leagues I’ve coordinated and the teams I’ve captained. One of the players had a birthday, and his mother made cupcakes for the team. Of course, she gave me one. Hehe.

So, the nationally ranked player spanked Laney on court seven today. She looked good in warm up but once points were played, she lost it. On the good side, it took fourty-five minutes! It usually takes her- the nationally ranked player about twenty to thirty minutes to spank her opponent. I know, I sound like the bragging parent. And???


© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/336597-A-full-house