*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/336749-March-16-2005-storytime
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
March 16, 2005: storytime

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

noticing newbies - newsletter header



Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! Our goal is to showcase some of our newest Writing.Com Authors and their items. From poetry and stories to creative polls and interactives, we'll bring you a wide variety of items to enjoy. We will also feature "how to" advice and items that will help to jump start the creation process on Writing.com

We hope all members of the site will take the time to read, rate, review and welcome our new authors. By introducing ourselves, reviewing items and reaching out, we will not only make them feel at home within our community, we just might make new friends!

Editors:

Cubby~Cheering House Florent!
Puditat
laurencia

Your host this week is esprit

Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

noticing newbies - newsletter header


PLAYING DIALOGUE TAG


"Hi everyone. I'm so glad to see you all here this month." She chuckled.

One mark of a new writer is the indecision of how to use dialogue tags. Advice is so varied on what are the 'right' tags to use, it's no wonder we are undecided. Dialogue tags are almost always picked up and commented on in feedback, because everyone has their own opinion on how to use them.

We new writers tend to underuse the word "said". It's as if we're scared that 'said' is too boring, so we use 'demanded', 'insisted', 'commented'. Anything but 'said'.

The problem is that dialogue tags are supposed to be nearly invisible. The dialogue itself should be the focus, not the words following it. So 'said' is actually great, because it blends into the background, lets the reader know who said what without being too intrusive.

That said, Descriptive tags are wonderful to help move the story along! Descriptive dialogue tags can bring your characters to life because tags manipulate the language while describing your character.

"Who is he?" Max spat. "That new guy at work?"

or;

"Who is he?" Max said. "That new guy at work?"

From using the word "spat," we get a better picture of how angry Max is, and his words follow his nasty reaction. Some will advise not to use 'spat' because words cannot be spat. Well, I say they can! If a person is angry enough. I've had to wipe my mouth after spitting out words a few times. Haven't you?

You can and should use descriptive tags, just don't overuse them. And remember, your dialogue should be so good that the manner it was said is obvious and you don't have to inform the reader that 'she commented' or 'he sighed' the words. Every line of dialogue doesn't even need a tag if you've made it clear who is speaking. Be aware of too many 'he saids'; they can cause boredom fast.

Pay attention while you're reading a good book. How did that author handle dialogue tags? Reading is still one of the best ways to learn how to write.

You will eventually develop your own style and it will be what works for you. It comes with much practice and decisions that only you can control. Style isn't determined and locked in with the first story you write, it comes only with a lot of time spent on writing. Style cannot be taught. How you use dialogue tags is determined in part by your style of writing. It will change as you learn and get better. Experiment with tags. You can even start a tag collection.

The technicals; spelling, grammar and punctuation can all be taught and should be used correctly. Even the best stories are thrown on the slush pile because of technical mistakes. Contrary to wishful thinking, editors and publishers will not publish work that is full of errors. It is not their job to fix it.

First and foremost, you will need to like your own writing. If you like it, chances are others will too. But it's important to realize that some won't like everything you write.

"Can you imagine? Some people don't even like chocolate!" She interjected with shock.

The best thing to do is shrug your shoulders and write on. They'll probably like the next one.

*Smile*


*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*



A newbie tip: Study your 'My Account' page as soon as you can.

Account Settings & Options
Configure and personalize


Each link has a brief description explaining how to use each tool.

The 'Getting Started' page is a good place to 'get started'. Hence the name. Most questions can be answered in these two places.


Write on!

** Image ID #715135 Unavailable **
Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.
noticing newbies committee sig

*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*



Editor's Picks

** Image ID #830174 Unavailable **



My Picks For Newbies of the Month *Exclaim*


highlighted newbies to keep your eyes on.

roninca

ryannyburg

gothicrooster

 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor



Remember to read your neighbor’s work too!


*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


Writing Contests @ Writing.Com  [E]
Writing Contests on Writing.Com are posted here.
by Writing.Com Support


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor



*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*


 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

*Star**Star**Star**Star**Star*



Submitted By: mckenzie
Submitted Comment:

Very good newsletter; I enjoyed it. Thank you! On behalf of all the editor's, we appreciate it.


Submitted By: Puditat
Submitted Comment:

Esprit, a brilliant extract on showing not telling. That was a very beautiful example. I know passive writing is something I fall into from time to time without even thinking about it.

Another great job!


Thank you! Everyone does; we all need reminders that we are not alone in our learning.

Submitted By: PastVoices
Submitted Comment:

Another great newsletter! In two years and, I still get lost. I love WC. I just wish some days I could split in three; a writer, a reviewer and a researcher. Wait a minute, that would upgrade me from depressive to schizo.

I am sitting here laughing in the stillness of the night. Smiling at your words and chuckling with my reply.

I didn't have time to get on tonight because my husband wants the tax stuff before Tuesday; I am only up to July 2004. I am glad I came anyway. This newsletter was the break I needed from receipts!

Dontcha go changin to try and please me....
Love,
PastVoices


Taxes? Sorry, Nanette. That's not an E rated word. I can't post this.
As for splitting into three, we already are all these things.

I think Schizo is much more active and interesting than depressive any day! They get up and move. I hate to see anyone lying around and whining all day, don't you? They're so boring!



Submitted By: leisure time
Submitted Comment:

Thanks for the info on "posts" in "member's tools"!!! I had entered a contest and placed but couldn't find the contest to go back and read the other entries (I don't like to read them until after the contest is judged). Thanks to this tidbit, I was able to go right to it!!!

Yes, it's so handy! We have some good tools available. Click, Explore and Ask.

Last month's, Question of the Month Which NO ONE answered.

A famous Writing.Com author once said, Some monsters draw their strength from a cucifix.
What is the name of the monster?

Second, two-part question,
Who made the quote: That was then, this is now. Or vise-versa, and when did he say it?

This is another test to see who reads the complete letter. The Author will receive 500 GP's. Each member who correctly answers will receive 200 GP's.
HINT: POWER SEARCH IS AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE. *Smile*

Submitted By: PastVoices
Submitted Comment:

Looking for mr pointbar:

As for the questions, I feel like a fool.

"That was then, this is now." This was said first by my father on the occasion of every times the rules changed. OR, it was said by Sorleil in Cloudweaver's piece by the same name.

I then flunked Power Search 101 with, "Some monsters draw their strength from a cucifix." I drew a big zip. Knowing very little about the Catholic religion, I don't know if there is a real monster.
Love,
PastVoices


LOL! Yours is the only response I had to the question! I hope that doesn't mean no one else read through to the end! *Confused*

The answers;

First question;
STATIC
Soul Survivor  (13+)
Some monsters draw strength from a crucifix.
#900005 by Davy Kraken

the monster's name is - Cyanide Cynthia.

Second question; "Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor
first posted - 01-12-05


Thanks all! Feedback is the stuff that feeds the letters. We all need it.

See you in April!
 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 03-24-05 @ 11:41am | Modified: 03-24-05 @ 11:41am      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/336749-March-16-2005-storytime