*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/340809-The-Trama-of-Buying-a-New-Gas-Stove
Rated: 18+ · Book · Adult · #941759
Opinion and views on what is and what is not being reported on...
#340809 added April 12, 2005 at 12:55pm
Restrictions: None
The Trama of Buying a New Gas Stove
I consider myself very fortunate to own an older home that is equipped with gas, in addition to electricity. All of the new homes in our area are total electric. I personally believe that home buyers are being duped into buying total electric homes. The builders are saving a considerable amount of money by not making gas available in the homes they are building, and the developers are saving a ton of money by not having gas lines installed so home owners who want gas can have it. Yet, the houses built today sell for more money per square foot than ever before. Why?

Anyway, my new gas stove does not have a knob to operate the oven. Some genius decided that I would be better off with an electronically controlled oven. I live in South Louisiana, and during hurricane season the electricity goes out frequently. Since I have a gas stove I am able to cook, but because some genius convinced some idiot that an electronic ignition would be better I will no longer be able to use my oven when the electricity goes out.

I had to make several critical decisions when buying my stove. I wanted the broiler in the oven, which is only available in the models with the expensive self-cleaning oven feature. Due to a back injury I am not able to get on the floor to put food in the broiler that is located so close to the floor. Seems that the Americans Disability Act needs to address appliance features, but I am not going to say anything, because I have already had to buy a new stove. I am not about to replace it with a more expensive model.

Luckily, I will save money on my monthly gas bill, because of the electronic ignitions on the stove top burners, and I will still be able to light them when the electricity goes out.

The stove I bought has a continious grate that covers the entire top of the stove top. I am delighted that I will not have to worry about spilling hot liquids if I decide to slide a pot from a front burner to a back burner.

The only stoves that came with a knob that operated the oven were the cheapest, bottom of the line models. I think it is just insane. In a world where I can order just about anything custom built to my specifications, why can't I order a stove like I want it.

Appliance manufactures are missing the boat on this deal.

If you are in the market for a new home, please consider purchasing a home with gas. In my humble opinion, you will not regret cooking and/or heating with gas. It seems to me that all the best cooks cook with gas.

Most electric central heating units are three phase, which means even when you turn it off it has to cycle off. With gas, it is either on or off... there is no in between.

Don't let the developers and builders sell you short... demand gas be available, or buy an older home.

That is what I think...

© Copyright 2005 The Critic (UN: thecritic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
The Critic has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/340809-The-Trama-of-Buying-a-New-Gas-Stove