*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/341434-high-speed
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#341434 added April 15, 2005 at 1:38pm
Restrictions: None
high speed
Well, I’m high speed ready. But not ready. The cable guys showed up, earlier than expected. (I was in the middle of preparing bank deposits when they arrived.) Two guys. Tim, and Daniel. Nice guys, obviously in great moods, I guess with it being Friday and beautiful weather at that.

“Oh great. Concrete.” Tim says, inspecting my walls. He practically slides his hand in this hole I have in the wall. It’s – the hole I mean, hidden behind files on the top teir of my desk. “Too bad we can’t use this.”

Before I painted my office and rearranged my office furniture, the hole was covered with a small-framed picture I had drawn of a teddy bear hugging a tennis racquet. Now, its visible, but not blatantly so.

They busy themselves with installing the cable wire. I move my money counting outside my office to behind the counter.

Daniel, is in my office drilling a hole. He’s made a mess which he says, if I had a vacuum cleaner, he’d be more than happy to clean. ‘Yeah right’ I think, but just smile at his offer.

We chat for a few minutes, while waiting on his partner to come down from the attic. An attic to me is a place where you can actually store stuff. Not this huge piece of space above my ceiling. I guess I’m being anal. The cable guys keep calling it an attic. Who am I to argue?

Tim covers up the hole Daniel drilled with a nice clean wall cover. He’s hooking up the modem to the hard drive and tells me how he dropped his expensive sunglasses down in-between the concrete blocks. Apparently, they fell eight feet down. He's very proud of the fact he has managed to retrieve them. With some tool i don't remember the name of. He shows me just how far down they fell, with his hand on the wall. “My wife would kill me.” He says. “She complains *and he did NOT use the word complain) about me wearing them to work.. It would be icing on the cake, if I lost them on the job.”

I ask him how long has he been married, ‘Three years.” He says.

“Aaahhh. A newlywed.” I say. But he disagrees. I didn’t tell him that I have been married for twenty and a half years, plus two dating. Three years is a newlywed to me.

When the job is almost complete, Andy, another cable guys shows up. Apparently, it takes three of them to install high speed at a place of business. Something’s wrong and Andy has arrived just in the nick of time. He can have the pleasure, Tim tells him, of climbing on the roof? Or something, I’ve quit listening to them. They are chatting in my office. A staff meeting called without my consent.

So here I sit, with the high speed on ready. Now, I have to wait for Edmond to finish connect it to my hard drive. I wonder how long THAT will take. He still has not fixed my precious CD player.



© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/341434-high-speed