*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/341448-230PM-Using-the-word-n
by Fig
Rated: 18+ · Book · Teen · #956453
Hope is here. By hope i mean university life.
#341448 added April 15, 2005 at 3:09pm
Restrictions: None
2:30PM Using the word n*****
Before i start on the topic Women in their kitchen. Is that their true place, i HAVE to address something i saw last night on BET. I'm not sure if anyone know about this show, but the name of it is the 'Cousin Jeff Chronicles'. Basically it's about this guy who goes by the popular name of Cousin Jeff and he addresses several issues in society (well kinda like what i do, but with a more serious tone). He especially deals with black society and ways how the black community sabotage one another/degrade themselves. In this particular episode he was on the topic of how black people use the word i'm going to say it once and it'll be censored throughout the rest of this post 'nigger' among one another.

Well as a black man in society (yip, in case nobody knew before, good old Floyd Banks IS black), i personally before did not see the problem with using the word 'nigga' when referring to my friends (oh yea, another fact you probaly didn't realise is that i don't live in the US). The word n***er and n***a are two completely different words. N***er goes back to the colonial slave days when white masters called their black slaves that. N***er is a very derragotory word and i could see why alot of people would be upset about you using it. ESPECIALLY when a white person refers to a black person as a n***er (that could lead to fights). Hell, there are alot of racist people still living in the world that call black people n***er when they see them *cough* Alabama *cough* .So, as a black man in society i understand why n***er is a very bad thing.

BUT! the word that is commonly used among black people freely is n***a. This is NOT to be confused with the word n***er at all. When we use the word n***a, we mean it in a friendly way to greet each other in a positive way. e.g,

"Sup ma n***a!" or

"Whoa n***a! Waz d scene?". Nothing wrong with that right? I sure some of you reading this nodding your heads saying, yeah nothing wrong with that. Or the word n***a could be used when you real proud of one of your breadrins you would say something like this,

"Ploy ploy! That man is meh n***a! See this n***a right here, daz meh boy!!!" All that in it. That's just a way of expressing friendhsip to one another. It could even be used with white boys. e.g. when i telling people about one of my brearins who is a HARDCORE white boy i would say,

"Yea Bobby is my n***a (the name Bobby isn't his real name, his real name was changed so he would remain anonymous). That white boy is meh n***a for life."So in some situations n***a could be used for both white AND black people.

So far this is familiar to everyone. Nobody has a problem with it, nobody is arguing. Everyone is agreeing that YES we DO use that word in our everyday life. Note that we use n***a and not n***er.



**************************************************

Well.... after watching the 'Cousin Jeff Chronicles' last night my view has completely changed....even though we use the word n***a and not the word n***er it's STILL the same word. Though the spelling is a TAD different, in essence it's the same word. So, basically we are promoting what are forefathers before us was trying so hard to erase. We're calling each other n***er. The very word that we hate so much when white peple call us that and refer to us by, we're essentially calling ourselves on a day to day basis.

The word n***a/n***er is never good in any situation. Cousin Jeff was showing several clips and photos of during the slave trade when black people were being referred to as n***ers. Being a n***er back in those days referred to as the lowest form of human beings at that point in time. People spat on n***ers, they beat n***ers, dogs were treated better than n***ers. White people treated n***ers like they were worth nothing and is this what we're promoting?

When people like Malcom X and Martin Luther King was fighting for freedom for black people in the 1970's and the 1980's not only were they fighting for equal rights for blacks, but they were also trying to free us from the stigma that was put upon us by the white slavemasters. They were trying to show people that we are more than ignorant people who came from Africa without any education. That being black was nothing to be scared/ashamed of. Being black did not mean you have to treat us different because of the colour of our skin and that just like white people we had our faults, but also like white people we had our strengths. And that black people are better than white people in some areas be it academic-wise, sports-wise or even in politics. Black people have views and points that some white people may NEVER think about in years, but it may never be heard because they were being ignored and discriminated against. AND A BIG PART OF WHY THEY WERE BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST WAS BECAUSE OF THE WORD N***ER

I could go on arguing this point and expand more on what Cousin Jeff was saying, but i have to wrap up this entry. The word n***a like i said earlier, though it is SUPPOSED to be a different word to n***er it's the same word. And did you notice that only low-class black people use the word n***a? I'm definitely not trying to downgrade anyone because hell, I'M a low-class black person. But i don't blame the use of n***a not on people themselves, but on society. It's mainly society fault that the word n***a circulates so much. As a scholar was saying on Cousin Jeff, if people knew the history of that word and what it stood for any how much it hurt black people, they would know that it should not be glorified and should not be used.

Popular rap artists like Jay-Z, Xzibit, Ludacris and many others were heavily scrutinzed for promoting the use of the word n***a. Because it's a fact that whatever rappers say most people will hear and more than half would incorporate what they say into their life. Hell, if rappers said that standing on one leg and putting one hand in the air was the next big thing i'm sure people would start to do it. I could put money on that. And by them gloryfying the word n***a in their rap videos when they're talking about their homies when they're in the hood etc. doesn't help. Also, the whole mentality of how people are poor and in the hood etc. doesn't help. Since people think they live in the hood it's ok to say the word n***a because IT'S ALL GOOD IN THE HOOD! WE'RE POOR N***AS... So much to say, so little time.

Another reason why i strongly think that the word n***a is used so much is Dave Chapelle. Now, now... don't hate on me for this. i LOVE dave chapelle. The man is DAMN funny. Need i mention 'Rick James'? But Dave DOES say n***a alot. Hell, the man even said so in one of his sketches,

"As a n***a, who says n***a, alot. I know that n***a's racial'. That was in the Jury selection sketch when they were doing the O.J. Simpson trial and the guy's name was Furman. NE WAYZ I need to wrap this up fast. Basically Dave says n***a and alot of people watch Dave, so they'll say n***a too.


JUST STOP USING THE WORD. IT'S NOT GOOD. IT PROMOTES NEGATIVITYI'M OUT PEOPLE!! STAY TUNED FOR THE NEXT SHOW!!!

© Copyright 2005 Fig (UN: ninja64 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fig has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/341448-230PM-Using-the-word-n