*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/345963-Distant-Relatives
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #964073
Just because someone can't be seen, doesn't mean they're unimportant.
#345963 added May 10, 2005 at 11:50am
Restrictions: None
Distant Relatives
"What should I do now, after all that has happened?" asked the young woman. "I know I wasn't overreacting. I've got serious beef with my reletives. How could they treat me like that? I know I don't really know them that well, but they didn't have to treat me like some kid, or disrespect my mother like that."

I could call you a coward for not speaking up for yourself, but I know how you avoid conflict.

"Yeah. I already got lost following my cousin, I didn't want to make a scene."

That wasn't your fault, or the fault of your mother. You must believe that.

"I do, now. I wasn't the idiot going 80 in a residential zone. It's amazing how so-called brilliant people can freaking invent atom bombs and then pass the buck."

You fell into your role perfeectly. You didn't say a word.

"They know how to play the game. If I say anything, I'm crazy." She sighed. "I try so hard to 'hang'. What's the point of being related to people like that?"

Would you cut off your arm to free yourself from a car accident, so you would be able to live?

"If I had to do it to survive, yeah."

That is what you must do. Cut yourself off from them completely if they are being rude and disrespectful. It's a simple solution, really.

"It sounds simple."

It is simple. All you have to do is ignore them. They don't call on your birthday, they never went to your graduation. What are they good for? I say be done with them and focus on people of importance.

"I thought I shouldn't do anything."

I'm only giving advice. The choice is always up to you.

© Copyright 2005 EyeSingOnTheCake (UN: mayasclaw at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
EyeSingOnTheCake has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/345963-Distant-Relatives