*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/346747-Lunch-on-Thursday
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#346747 added May 12, 2005 at 1:18pm
Restrictions: None
Lunch on Thursday
I left my Remember Card at home. There is sits, on the corner of my unmade bed, along with some pocket change, a five dollar bill, and a breath mint. I dumped the stuff there when I changed shorts, not liking the ones I had picked out last night.

Do you want the list of things I forgot in alphabetical order? Ascending, descending order of importance? Or, random order?

Let’s see, I meant to bring coffee since I ran out last night. Caffeine will be dearly missed in about an hour from now. I forgot my lunch; A bag along with my lime, leftover bbq chicken, a banana, a soy yogurt, and two pieces of whole grain bread. I also forgot a copied report I had generated from TDM – I can live w/out this, and my sanity. Yeah, I left it at home, but it’s in the bathroom where had an emotional moment – won’t even explain THAT one.

Lunch was not a good thing to forget And why is it that when you know you don’t or can’t have something – you want or need it all that much more? Staying true to this premise, my stomach started growling around ten – missing its baby carrots. I tore the place apart looking for food. A can of stale mixed nuts, several packs of instant oatmeal. My soy powder which needs soy milk which there isn’t any. Pay dirt! An apple in the refrigerator an apple would not hold me all day long.

I finally called Autumn, “What are you doing? Wanna go to lunch? My treat.” I had my MC. ‘I forgot my lunch.” I added, making sure to full my voice with whininess.

“Aaahhh..I don’t know.” She said. After a small pause she said, “Can I bring you a peanut better and jelly sandwich from my house?” I’m still not used to her house being different from MY house.

“Absolutely.” I replied. P&J not on the top of the list, but when you forgot the paper and pencil to even make a list…

“Or, I can make you turkey sandwich.”

“Perfect.”

So, twenty minutes later, she comes walking up, in her Joy of Movement work clothes, caring a small brown paper bag. My lunch.

I smiled as I opened the door.

She holds the bag out to me, returns the smile and says, “Look. See? It says ‘MOM’ on it. She is proud. My heart melts as I give her a hug. I peek into the bag to see what she has brought me. I feel like a little kid. She packed me a turkey w/ mayo and mustard with lettuce AND a peanut better and jelly – in case I was really hungry. She also had a bag of baby carrots, a fruit cup and a little package of gummy bears. I almost cried. How sweet.

“I almost wrote you a note on my napkin.” She is happy that she made me happy. I love you Autumn. Thanks a million and one for lunch today.

© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/346747-Lunch-on-Thursday