*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/348504-Working-Saturday-AM
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#348504 added May 21, 2005 at 11:09am
Restrictions: None
Working Saturday AM
So, I got here at six thirty this morning. I get the coffee going, my sleepy brain in desperate need of caffeine. Felicia has pneumonia (sp?) and I’m covering for her. The parking lot already has a few vehicles; filled with tennis players who have seven AM matches.

Yesterday, was messy. Delays were posted hourly, players kept leaving and coming back to be told to leave again. At six o’clock they finally called matches for the day. Leaving me time to go to the player party after all. (I did not have time to go home and change, I went in my work athletic clothes.

Knowing I had such an early day made a short night for me, but also intensified my need to relax. Darrell bought me a drink and Lucia asked me to help out with a few things. At first, I was PO’ed not wanting to volunteer after working so long, but I couldn’t say no. So, I was the ‘cake girl’ First, pictures of the cake had to be taken. (Even though I’m a girl, I don’t get this, but oh well.) While this was going on – the picture taking – lots of players wanted their dessert. It was my job to tell them ‘NO!” Give them a pop on the hand if they reached out to touch. Of course, Robin had fun doing this. Lucia made jokes that points would be taken away from the next day’s matches if anyone was caught fingering the cake. I found out later, my good friend Carol had done this.

Still nursing on my wine, I finally finished my volunteer chores and could concentrate on relaxing. It was great. I kept moving from table to table chatting with everyone. I had wanted to hit the dance floor, but athletic attire includes tennis shoes and I wasn’t about to make a fool of myself. Jaime said go anyway. But I never did.

I spent the night w/ Autumn. I slept in the spare room and Kovu was with me! His little kitty head using my left arm as a pillow. I missed him. He hurt his pad on his front paw and was limping. I carried him up the stairs and placed him on my bed.

So now, its like eleven o’clock and I’m still chatting with players. Because I helped serve the cake, lots of them told me what a nice tournament ‘y’all’ have put on. I had to tell them it wasn’t me. But they still said yes it was. I guess it pays to be the cake girl.

© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/348504-Working-Saturday-AM