*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/349127
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #964073
Just because someone can't be seen, doesn't mean they're unimportant.
#349127 added May 31, 2005 at 9:58am
Restrictions: None
Truth is in the...
To be honest, I don't think you'll make it.

The young woman became quiet for a while before responding. It was "He" who spoke.

I honestly don't understand why she wastes her breath on you. You listen but you don't act. You aren't consistant. And you sure as hell aren't any closer to being done.

"I don't need to hear this from you."

Yes you do. You've already had eight years. Eight years! And you're nowhere near where you could have been if you would have been consistant with your tasks.

"DON'T YOU THINK I KNOW THAT!" The young woman yelled suddenly. She remembered who she was talking to, and calmed herself. "I know how important it is to her, and to you. I just want to be sure I can see things clearly. I don't want my personal life to affect the project like I was before."

That's part of the answer. Where's the rest of it?

"I think I'm losing it." she spoke in a whisper.

Losing what? Speak up, I can't hear you.

"You know. The only reason I can finish the project in the first place."

"He" laughed.
Why do you think that?

"Because it's harder to see. I've always believed in myself enough to be able to see the road up ahead, plan for any breakdowns along the way."

I thought you said you weren't bringing your personal life into the project anymore.

"I'm trying my best not to. But it's getting harder for me to tell where I end-"

I understand what you mean. You think that you are influencing the project.

"That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm supposed to be neutral, just recording what I see. But my emotions get into everything, and I want to take sides."

What makes you think what you're doing is wrong?

"Because it's supposed to be the truth! Not what I think the truth is!"

You are a naive thing, aren't you? Truth is relative. What people accept as truth all depends on the person who's recorded it and interpreted the data. Of course you're going to have some influence over what the project will be interepreted as. It was given to you. It's yours.

"But it really isn't. I'm just supposed to be writing down what I see. That's it. I don't have the right to put my 'spin' on anything."

Your ethics are noble, "He" said, sounding annoyed, but while you languish over what is and isn't accurate data, the clock is ticking.

"Do you know what your problem is? You don't care because it's not your project! If it was your project, I'm sure you'd want me to tell the-"

There's that annoying word again. Do you think people will ever know the 'truth' about presidents and kings who live in this time? What they really ordered? Who they really hated, or slept with? Of course not. People don't care about actual truth, word for word. As long as the journalists, historians, and scholars are in the general area, everyone's happy.

"It's not just regular reporting."

You're right. It isn't. But that shouldn't stop you from finishing.

"I just want it to be-"

Perfect? Come on! I know you've had this conversation with 'Her' before. Just take notes and write down what you see. That's it. It's like writing a story. There's a first draft and a second, and sometimes a third or a fourth. But you have to continue if you ever want to be done.



© Copyright 2005 EyeSingOnTheCake (UN: mayasclaw at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
EyeSingOnTheCake has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/349127