*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/349511-The-LAW-is-not-a-solution-for-parents---Ish
Rated: 18+ · Book · Adult · #941759
Opinion and views on what is and what is not being reported on...
#349511 added May 26, 2005 at 5:09am
Restrictions: None
The LAW is not a solution for parents - Ish!!!

http://www.theneworleanschannel.com/news/4508117/detail.html?subid=10100245


The above link is to an article about the new law that would make it illegal to consume Hallucinogenic Plants, like Angle Trumpets, and 39 other plants:

House Bill 20, introduced by State Rep. Mike Strain of Covington, has authored a bill would make it illegal in Louisiana to produce, manufacture or distribute any compound mixed with hallucinogenic plants. House Bill 20 is expected to become law by this summer.

There are 39 other plants on the list, including the beautiful Morning glory flower. Who knew?

Fines and Jail Time - Now, that's a Solution - NOT

Lawmakers, and evidently some parents, just don't get it.

Teenagers are not going to sit back and think, "Oh, I can't make a hallocinoginic cocktail out of Morning Glories, because it is against the LAW. I will be faced with fines and jail time."

The LAW has never, and is not NOW going to stop or prevent children from doing dangerous, stupid stuff - the LAW generally does not stop adults from doing dangerous, stupid stuff - like speeding, running red lights, drinking and driving, or taking an overdose of over the counter medication.

We the People are crimminalizing our YOUTH, and it really needs to stop. In my humble opinion, it appears that some parents must expect the LAW to replace good parenting. And even the best of parents, with the best of Parenting Skills, can be faced with difficult teenagers who make stupid choices.

Most insurance won't cover any criminal activity - so parents if your child ingests a hallucinoginic cocktail... you're screwed.

Who is going to pay your teenager's fine? You, the parents, who already work to many hours to supervise, and support your teenager - so now you will be supporting the LAW... and letting the LAW supervise your child - Good Job!

Your teenager will now have a criminal record, which parents will probably eventually have to pay to have expunged from the teenagers record. If that teenager grows up and wants to run for Public Office... some reporter will dig it up, and a mistake made while young can affect the teenagers future... unless you're George W. Bush, whose daddy had his cocaine episode expunged.

Oh, and Thanks to this NEW LAW the kids now have a complete lists of hallucinogic plants that required little research to obtain - Good Job.

When Kids do drugs - they are experimenting or looking for an escape from reality... should the solution be to make them all criminals?

We all know that wealthy, well-connected parents will be able to afford to protect their children from this law, but what about the rest of us?

In my opinion, it would be better to spend time and money creating opportunities for Louisiana teenagers, instead of constantly and systematically making them criminals.

Wouldn't it be nice if Louisiana Youth could look to parents, lawmakers, and educators to lead by example.

Don't let a "few bad apples" set the standard by which all teenagers are judged!

Why not publish an interview with the four teenagers involved in the Angel Trumpet incident? Where are they now? What made them want to drink this hallucinogic cocktail?

Can these teenagers be asked to volunteer to give first person accounts to students about their near death experience with the Angel Trumpet cocktail?

Although, "First, do no harm." is not really found in the Hippocratic Oath, it is still not a bad idea, you think?

Just my opinion Folks!

© Copyright 2005 The Critic (UN: thecritic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
The Critic has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/349511-The-LAW-is-not-a-solution-for-parents---Ish