*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/355185-Gum-and-Peanut-Butter
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #924960
of a tennis player, hiker, writer
#355185 added June 22, 2005 at 6:22pm
Restrictions: None
Gum and Peanut Butter
Today was strange. Dawn walks up to me and says, “Maybe you can help me out with a little problem I have.” She eyes a small girl, about the age of five, blonde hair, blue eyes, name’s Heidi. “She has bubble gum in her hair.”

“Peanut butter.” I say, walking into my office. I jus happen to have some. Grabbing a spoon, the jar and some gloves, I get busy trying to take the gum out of her hair.

If any of you out there ever get gum in your hair, peanut butter will get it out. But not without some work. After about twenty minutes Heidi wants to take a break. “My head hurts. And I’m tired of bending my neck.”

I get her some chips while she waits. She’s part of the all day activity camp which comes through the tennis center every morning, to learn how to play the game. She is worried about missing her lunch time and her field trip. To the skating rink, I believe. The gum in her hair is not a problem for Heidi. Although, she does express concern about the peanut butter. “You are gonna wash it out? Aren’t you?”

Back to work and I’m chatting with her. “How on Earth did you get gum in your hair?”

“Some man.” After a few more questions, its discovered that while one of the teenage camp councilors was talking to her, his gum fell out of his mouth and into her hair. I cracked up laughing. A new one for me. “Are you kidding?” I ask between giggles.

“No. He was talking and it fell out of his mouth.” She confirms.

So, while I’m desperately trying not to hurt her, get the gum out quickly so she can meet up with her class, Rashod, another teenage camp councilor sticks his head in my office.

“Miss Robin, you got any perfume?”

“Um…perfume?” I ask, making sure my ears heard me correctly. It’s not everyday a teenage boy asks me for such a request. Somehow, and I did not ask for details, he had spilled gasoline on himself. He was hoping the perfume would over power the smell of the gasoline.

Okay. Whatever. "Yeah, sure, I have some body spray." Gardenia Lilly from Bath and Body Works.

Lots of people step into the office to see why Heidi is there. Bless her heart, she is embarassed and asks to shut the door. but I don't. I almost close it, but leave it open a little. Finally, I get most of the gum out. she is all too ready to leave.

I knew there was a reason I brought a jar of peanut butter to work.

© Copyright 2005 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (UN: twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/355185-Gum-and-Peanut-Butter