*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/357237
by nomlet
Rated: ASR · Book · Fantasy · #986591
Fantasy serial chronicling the adventures of Hoolie the gnome and Sir Lyman.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#357237 added July 2, 2005 at 1:10am
Restrictions: None
A Leaf in the Road
The spring sun shone brightly in the morning sky, but for all its warmth, a touch of autumn weighed on Hoolie's heart. A faint inner voice warned of some winter to come. With typical whimsy, Hoolie took the autumn whispers for fashion advice. The little gnome arrayed himself in brilliant shades of red and orange. He was a beacon on the Forest Road, and easily spotted while still some distance away by a tall, dark-haired knight.

"You there! Are you a man, or a leaf in the road? By my eye you are too short by half for the former, and yet, if the later, you have strayed far from your proper season. Does this road lead now towards the Fall and not to Darbrun as of old?"

Hoolie's satisfaction at having the inspiration for his costume recognized was mortally undermined by the knight's mockery.

"To the discerning eye, I am neither leaf nor man, but gnome. As for this road, if you should chance upon Fall before Darbrun then you are slow of foot or wit, or both."

"Ah! A leaf with speech—and that with an edge on it!"

"And you have the look of a knight, but with strange courtesy. If I am a leaf, then I shall blow on about my business. Good day!"

"Hold a moment, Master Leaf!"

"Do you command the winds that you would order a leaf to halt and think to be obeyed?" Hoolie scoffed, nose high as he strode haughtily past the grinning knight's shins.

"Peace!" The knight laughed. "If not a leaf, then might a gnome—in the guise of a leaf—be persuaded to tarry?"

Hoolie lifted a bushy eyebrow, amused at the suggestion, but did not pause.

"Even for a moment?" persisted the knight, calling gaily to Hoolie's retreating back. "Might not two travelers benefit from an exchange of tidings?"

"No!" barked Hoolie. He stalked away down the Forest road, distracted by the knight's hearty laughter echoing in his ears.

And so it happened that Hoolie found himself stuck fast in a mass of translucent webbing which spanned a shadowed turn in the road. His cheeks flushed a red to rival his tangled cloak when he heard the leisurely footfalls of the knight approach from behind.

"Well, well."

The little gnome gave vent to a fit of indignation, but his struggles succeeded only in separating his feet from contact with the ground altogether.

"Please, don't injure yourself in an effort to amuse me."

"Assistance?" suggested Hoolie testily. "Are you a knight or a jester?"

"A knight I fear. Were I a jester, such extended laughter might not tire me so. But I confess, this has been rare exercise."

"Then permit me to hang here while you marshall your strength, Sir Jester."

Hoolie did not wait long, but he did have to endure his benefactor's chuckles as he was cut down. His bright clothing was a sad mess of sticky tangles when at last he tumbled free.
© Copyright 2005 nomlet (UN: nomlet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
nomlet has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/357237