*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/358127-Almost-a-year-later
by fregin
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #764092
life and other extraneous info
#358127 added July 6, 2005 at 4:16pm
Restrictions: None
Almost a year later...
Well, it's been almost a year since my last journal entry, which is not an indicator that I am finished with writing; instaed, I have been engaged in writing away from writing.com. I simply had a hiatus from the site. When I think about how what my life has consisted of in the last twelve months, I alternately feel pride and anguish and exhaustion. That seems to be the sum of my last twelve months.

Let's start with a matter of pride. I finished my thesis and graduated with my master's degree. That was my sole focus from August through December in 2004. I wrote four of the five chapters in that time, which was a definate sore spot with me for quite some time. The university dropped the ball of some meetings they were supposed to have approving my research, so I either had to revamp my topic or wait an extra semester to graduate. Needless to say, I was about to extend the agony, so I buckled down (and had no life) for the next three months. All ended well, and it was time for me to have a break.

I did have a nice vacation in October that broke up the frantic pace for a few days; I went on my first cruise. I learned that people are either cruise people or they aren't. I absolutely am! I don't need a fast-paced every-minute-filled kind of entertainment. I liked the pace of the cruise. You did as much as you wanted to do. We had good food (whenever we wanted to eat), I played in the casinos a bit, I went to an art auction, I played some bingo (cheesy, I know, but it was still fun!), I sat on the deck reading and soaking up sun, and I went snorkeling and kayaking. I also went shopping in the tourist-trap parts of Cozumel and loved it. I'm not sure that everyone in our group was quite as enthralled with the cruise vacation, but I would love to go on another one.

Back to life...Once I finished the master's program, I thought I'd be antsy, going from being so busy for so long to having all this free time. Well, it turns out that all I wanted to do for the next few months was nothing. Not nothing exactly...I discovered tv. In particular tv shows on dvd. I'd never been a big tv watcher; I've always been much more inclined to read a book. I typically read a book or two a week. Since January, I've probably been reading a book a month. I actually discovered the dvd tv shows last summer and started watching them during my thesis for downtime. Because I had to do so much reading for my research, I had to find some other form of entertainment for relaxation. So, my long-winded point is...grad school rotted my brain!

On a more serious note, I also had a family crisis that began in late February. My father was diagnosed with bladder cancer. I've postponed my move indefinatley for the time being. I moved back home so that I could go back to school, pay off some debt, and save for a down payment on a house. Now I have a chance to pay my parents back for being so generous with me. If something like this had to happen, at least the timing provides our family with a few advantages. I'm off for the summer since I'm a teacher, so I'm able to take him to his chemo treatments. He's handling them relatively well (he might say differently though), but man, this disease bites. Maybe I'll write a piece about it later, but for now, we're still going a day at a time. The one good outcome from this terrifying disease is that my dad and I are now both non-smokers.

To conclude on a brighter note, the other prideful event included a promotion for me. More work, a little more money, a lot more responsibility, and a prideful accomplishment. I had decided that I had gotten to a smooth point at my job where I could seriously consider secondary income. I love my job, but I would like to make more money. Unfortunately, I have to look beyond my field for that since my salary is not negotiable. With my added responsibilities next year, I am once again set back in my quest! Oh well, teachers are making much better incomes than they once were; I'm just greedy!

So, I'm back, mired in life.

© Copyright 2005 fregin (UN: fregin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
fregin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/358127-Almost-a-year-later