*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/360460-Chapter-3-New-friends
by Amanda
Rated: E · Book · Teen · #989694
With a name like Porsha Star Taylor,I thought i had to be an actress, until I met Calvin
#360460 added July 19, 2005 at 11:25pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 3: New friends
The next morning at school, the world seemed to be shining. I was smiling and saying hello to everyone I saw. As soon as I walked into Photography, I felt home. I began to talk to the students, who a few days ago I was terrified of, as equals. Some of them even showed me their projects. They were amazing! Who knew they had such talent? I was even invited to a party friday night, but had to decline due to Josie coming over.
Speaking of which, as soon as she entered the room, I heard a draw of breath throughout the room. And even her personality had changed. Instead of shuffling in, with her eyes on her shoes, she strided in, head in the air, with a huge smile on her face. I even noticed that Calvin looked at her with admiration. Then, for the first time, I felt a twinge of jealosy. I quickly forgot about it though when Josie came up to me and gave me a huge hug.
"You're the best Porsha! I feel so much better than I ever have!"
I wanted to tell her that good looks wouldn't always make her feel better, but before I could, Calvin stood up, kissed her on the cheek, and told her how beautiful she was. Again, that green monster attempted to come out again, but I quickly reminded my self that I too was going to have a Before and After, an internal one.
"Oh thanks Cal, but I couldn't have done it without Porsha!" Jodie said, pulling me over to her.
Calvin gave me smile that sent a dizzying sensation over me. That probably was because I'd never seen him do it before.
"Thanks Porsha, I owe you one,"
For once, I was at a lost for words. I simply gave a nod and smile. The shrill ring of the bell yanked me out of my trance.
We all sat down and Mr. Alexander stood at the front of the room.
He reminded us that our projects were due and asked if there were any volunteers to go first. Naturally, I raised my hand. Since I was the only one, Mr. A nodded in my direction and Josie and I stood up.
Josie grabbed our foam board and propped it up in a chair at the front. I gave her an encouraging smile and she began
"Before and After. That phrase implies a complete change. A turn-a-round. So we did somthing dramatic."
I picked up there.
"This is Project: Butterfly. Is it possible to turn a shy, fashion challenged, caterpillar into a outgoing, sylish, butterfly? Our Josie here is living proof!"
I didn't hear the murmer of excitement throughout the room that I expected, but I went on anyway.
"Observe. The before..." I pointed to the picture of Josie with her greasy hair, stained T-shirt, and tapered pants."
"...and the after!" I gestured to the picture of the new glammed out Josie.
I then explained the procedure, noting the pictures as I spoke.
When I finshed, instead of thunderous applause like I was used to, I hear a few scattered claps here and there, and Mr A.'s nervous coughing.
"erm...well...girls...that was...um...SO! Do we have anymore volunteers?"
Calvin and his partner volunteered and we sat down. As we did, Mr. A came over and said in a low voice to me and Josie, "Please see me after class."
WHAT? Never in my entire sixteen years has a teacher said that to me with that inflection!
I mean, teachers have asked to see me after class so they could ask for discounted tickets to the current show I was in, but that wasn't like this! This was the brace-yourself-for-bad-news kind of inflection! What was wrong with my project? I thought it was unique!
Perhaps I should have put more though into the actual photos than the events themselves, seeing as how this was a photography class.
I hadn't even realized that Calvin and his partner has started presenting their project.
"...so here is the before." Calvin's partner held up an enlarged photograph of picture of the New York skyline. But it wasn't the skyline I saw every morning.
In the background was the Statue of Liberty, Crystler building, Empire State building, all the usuals, but in the foreground were overflowing trashcans, clotheslines hung between apartment bulidings with various items draping from them, and several broken glass bottles littered the ground.
I'd never been there, but I could smell the stench in my head. What could possibly the after of that?
"...and the after,"
I heard myself taking a sharp intake of breath when I saw the photo.
It was the same place obviously, but it was completely different. Now in the background was the Skyline at night, which in it self was pretty gorgeous.
It was a sunset. There was a sorbet of colors painted accross the sky. The orange at the every top, melted down into a lemon yellow, whcih transitioned down to a rasberry pink. The clotheslines whick one seemed so appalling to me, held white billowing sheets that seemed to be curtains, framing the perfect scene. The trashcans were sparkling from the last glimmer of the afternoon sun. The broken bottles were transformed into millions of prisims, casting a fairy tale glow on the whole allyway.
I couldn't belive that somthing so ugly, could be changed into somthing so...beautiful.
The class applauded wildly and Mr. Alexander stood and clapped wholeheartedly.
"Wonderful, Calvin and Jess, like always."
The two boys nodded and took their seats.
None of the other projects could measure up to Calvin's. One group did before and after the deforestation of a rainforest, another did before and after the adding animal biprouducts in a local fast food place's burgers, another did the atmosphere before and after global warming. They all had somthing to do with how The Man was destryoing our nation one way or another.
Thankfully, the bell rang before we got to the project about before and after the extinction of the blue whale. I was walking out the door when I remembered the meeting with Mr. A. Groaning, I turned around and trudged back to his desk.
"Now, Porsha, I applaud your..erm..attempt but I'm affraid that this project wasn't up to Advanced Photography standerds,"
No kidding. I should have done the before and after of the depleting ozone layer or somthing.
"It shows a lack of orginal thinking and, not to mention, half of the photos have a thumb in them!"
Oh, I had to remember not to do that!
"However. Since you are new to this, I will give you a chance to redo the project."
I grunted. It took me long enough to find a BAD project idea. How was I going to find a good one?
"Um...sir...what about me?" Josie asked.
"I know you have talent, Josie. Unfortuantly, with Porsha here calling most of the shots, you wern't able to show that. Since you paricipated as much as you could, however, I'm giving you an 85."
Josie breathed a sigh a relief, then gave me an apologetic look.
I couldn't believe it! This teacher was obviously holding some sort of grudge against me! I mean, couldn't he give me a break on our first project? Apparently not.
Mr. A. dismissed us, and Josie and I grabbed our things and left.
Josie followed me to my locker and remained silent as I pulled out books.
"I'm sorry, Porsha! I really am..." She burst, finally.
I closed my locker door and turned to her.
"Why are you apologizing? I should be the one saying I'm sorry!"
She looked up at me with huge appreciation in her eyes.
"So, you mean were still getting together Friday night?"
I laughed and said, "Of course, silly!"
She squealed with delight and we turned to walk to our classes.
"So," I said casually, "What was with that kiss Calvin gave you?"
She blushed profusely and said, "Oh, that was just a friendly thing! He's like the brother I never had!"
That, for some reason, made me feel infinitly better.
Speak of the devil, Calvin walked up to us as we turned the corner.
"So, what did Mr. A. have to say to you?"
he asked looking really concered.
He really was very protective of Josie.
"Oh, I have to redo the project, Josie doesn't," I said, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible.
He gave me another one of his appraising stares right before he said, "Well that's too bad. You might actully have to do work this weekend like the rest of the world."
Ouch. How could a guy that's so sweet to Josie be such a jerk to me?
Suddenly, I remembered what Josie had told me about his family situation. I had to become to new-improved-Porsha.
"Yeah, you're right, Calvin. It's about time I learned that I can't get through life on connections and looks,"
For the first time since I'd met him, he actually looked dumbstruck. A pleasurable smile crossed my face mentally, but outside I simply gave a serious expression.
"Um...I actually have to go to class now, so I'll catch up with you two later..." Josie said, unsure of what was going on around her.
As soon as she left, Calvin looked down at me and narrowed his almost-black-brown eyes and looked at me skeptically.
"What are you trying to pull?" He asked.
I gave him and honest answer.
"Look, Calvin, everything you said to me that one day was true. I was manipulting people to get what I wanted. And I havn't ever worked a hard day in my life. So, I'm changing!"
"You're what?" He asked, still confused.
"Changing! I'm now going to work for what I get. Grades and Money included. No more favors and no more connections. I am through!"
The dumbstruck expression returned and he said finally, "Just like that? How are you going change your entire lifestyle and personality by yourself?"
I gave a knowing grin.
"That's the beauty of it! I'm not doing it by myself! You and Josie are helping me!"
"Wait..wait..I'm help-"
"Yep! Josie already volunteered you! See you at my house friday night!"
And before he could say anything else, I turned and walked to class.
Ah. It was good to be in control again.
© Copyright 2005 Amanda (UN: frenchgirl98 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Amanda has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/360460-Chapter-3-New-friends