*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/360908-Daytime-TV-and-Karma--I-LOVE-THIS-ONE
by fregin
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #764092
life and other extraneous info
#360908 added July 20, 2005 at 8:01am
Restrictions: None
Daytime TV and Karma *I LOVE THIS ONE*
**Upon rereading this I came to the realization that I LOVE THIS ENTRY. I FEEL LIKE I CONQUERED THE BAD DAY DEMON! Just look at the bigsmiles!**

My karma's out of balance this week, but I don't feel like being irritated right now. I don't even know how much I believe in karma, and I've used that word twice in my journal recently. Maybe I'm slowly incorporating it into my vocabulary just to test the waters or as a philosophical search of some kind. Nah, probably not. It's just a fun word, and it makes me sound very cool and otherworldly. Anyway, instead of examining my ill-fated moments in time, I'll focus on real problems, you know, like the kind like they have on daytime television.*Bigsmile*

I've been somewhat of a good girl lately since I've been doing my version of a hampster routine on the treadmill.

...Just so you know, ten years ago, I ate fast food for lunch and dinner and cold pizza for breakfast most mornings and didn't even have to do a pinkie lift, and I'd never gain a pound. Okay, so many of us were there once. Leave me alone. I like to think about it...

So back to the story. I'm having problems with the tv in the room where I have the treadmill, and I can only get a few stations. I'm a little irritated because I can't get any network tv. I had found the perfect workout motivator, and it was snatched away by the tv bandits (maybe they're just trying to save me from myself... or save me from the treadmill...). Somehow, some way, watching the skinny bitches on soap operas made me pick it up a notch. An added bonus was that I got to revisit Salem and Port Charles after years of being away from my old friends. And, would you believe most of the same people were still there and they hadn't changed a bit? Well, if you looked closely at them, some of them had this freakish combination of perfectly smooth faces and wrinkled necks. Anyhow, it was a bit of an unpleasant shock to realize that many of my favorite storylines had shifted to the children of my old favorite characters. See how they distort real time in soap operas? I'm not getting old, dammit!

Back to my dilemma. I can't get the soaps on that tv, so what to use as a replacement? (I've already learned that my feet will not walk without the tv going). So, I find reception. It's a new station, REAL. It's reality tv, all the time (that's what the advertisement says. I've watched a few programs). Some days, they run marathons where you can just watch one episode after another of a series. This is very similar to my whole seasons on dvd that I'm addicted to except I have to sit, er walk, through commercials. By the way, I just stare at the minute/calorie/fat counter during the commercials, the exact reason I need the tv on to begin with.

At this point, I'm wondering if any of you can tell that I'm on vacation.

I really should be embarrassed by the things I watch, but instead I'm going to write about them in a publc journal. *Bigsmile*

Some REAL TV shows:
The Love Cruise-a pathetic attempt to get people to fall in love while competing against one another. That combination usually works. Whatever, that Toni bitch was so fun to watch (and get pissed at!).

Joe Millionaire-First, I have to say that I made fun of this show and everyone who watched it when it aired on network tv. I've only seen half of it now, but I'm keeping an eye out for when it comes on again. I am finding terrible enjoyment in watching these women get all excited about a rich man (who really isn't) and go to pathetic lengths to get his attention.

The Villa-I have to say that I love British tv. The British seem real and human. The women aren't all twigs, and the men aren't all muscled up. This show's another in the dating string, but I like how open they are. We Americans are a repressed lot to a large extent. I think the problem is that we are still a baby country, so we think we've got something to prove. Don't we kind of act like the adolescents in the world? Puffed up chests and all? Just so you don't get the wrong impression, the show's really pretty tacky; that doesn't stop me from watching though.

I might have to update as I see more shows on that station. On to a slightly different thread (I'm not sure why I became concerned about a thread at this late time), I don't know why I can watch stuff like that but not the trashy daytime talk shows, but it was a whole different deal when I watched Maury one day this week. I've never gotten into the "Paternity search for my child's father...ninth test" kind of thing (the title was something like that). I actually feel sorry for those people. I realize that they agreed to be on public tv, and knew what they were getting into, but there is just something so pathetically unstable about those people that I get disturbed by them, and by the host (who's exploiting them), and by the audience members (who laugh and jeer). It just seems like making fun of someone who is too ignorant to know better. Now, after saying that, I have no problem making fun of the contestants on reality tv programs. I'm not sure why. Maybe I see them as being more motivated by greed? I don't know. I'll have to think on that a bit more.

Okay, I think the ramble is petering (sp?) out in my mind, so I'm off to think of good things to do in my search for good karma. Maybe I'll go reviewing!*Bigsmile*

© Copyright 2005 fregin (UN: fregin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
fregin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/360908-Daytime-TV-and-Karma--I-LOVE-THIS-ONE