*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/368312-Chapter-Two
Rated: ASR · Book · Action/Adventure · #982893
An ancient prophesy comes to life...
#368312 added August 23, 2005 at 7:19pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Two
CHAPTER TWO: THE FORREST OF AWAKENINGS


         Two hours went by before Gregory and Jennifer came to town. Robert ran up to them. "So how'd it go, guys? What happened? Why'd he keep you after?"
         Gregory smirked. "Hold on, sparky. One question at a time. Luckily, it went better than I thought it was going to be. He didn't murder us or anything. He mainly talked to Jennifer about the forrest, asking questions like what she saw, if anything, what happened, etc."
         Robert nodded. "So... yeah. What happened? What did you see?"
          Gergory sighed, however, Jennifer was a little more prepared to answer, seeing as she had already done so for the teacher. She spoke. "Well, as you know, I was going to your house to walk to school with you, but I was too late. If I had taken the normal route, you'd've been gone by the time I've reached your house. I decided that it'd be best to take a shorcut through the forrest.
         "As I went through, strange creature's eye's were staring at me as I went down the path. I was frightened and began to run. When I did, I heard more feet behind me, gaining feet that were soon to be upon me. I turned my head to look at my stalker and saw a horrible ugly beast of a wolf. It jumped on me and tore my skirt, and tried to bite me, but I beat it off with a stone by my head. I ran longer, but it was in the wrong direction. I was too tired to run anymore, so I walked quickly to the school. It was terrifying."
         Robert stared in awe." Wow... but that story barely took three minutes to tell. Why were you gone two hours?"
         Gregory shook his head. "There's more to the story, but Mr. Maji told us not to tell anybody..."
         Robert goraned. He really wanted to know, and it was obvious. His curiousity was pulling at his heart like a puppeteer to its marionet.
         "However that doesn't mean we can't show you..." Gregory smiled slyly.
         Jennifer shuddered. "We're going back into that dreadful place?" She sighed.
          Gregory smirked. "Don't worry. I've got a good shot with a bow and Robert's rather well with his sword. You'll be well protected."
         Jennifer sighed and gave a weak smile, still obviously shaken and fearing the forrest, but the comfort and protection of her brother and best friend eased a bit of her mind.
          With that, they each departed their own ways. Robert to his home to fetch his sword, and Gregory and Jennifer to their home to get their bow and staff. After a bit of a hike, they met up on a hilltop beside the forest on The Nurope's land. They had decided, after a short discussion, that Jennifer was to lead, showing them the path she took, while the boys kept an eye out for any creatures that may try to approach. And so they began their journey into the forrest, Jennifer with staff in hand, Gregory with arrow on string, and Robert with sword in grasp.
         The forrest was eerie. Light shot down from the branches here and there, making shapes and figures on the ground. Every now and then ad creature would scamper by in the brush on either side of the path they were walking along, making them even more weary with fear. Sometimes a growl would come from the trees and the sound of a leap towards them would be heard, but stopped as it reached the path. Finally, after a bit of a hike, Jennifer stopped, Robert and Gregory alongside her.
         "This is where it came. It leapt on the trail and came after me at this spot... I'm afraid to go any further..." She sighed and looked to the ground, fear overtaking her.
         "Do you not have the world's finest bowman and swordsman in the land at your sides?" Gregory asked, smirking.
         With that comment, Jennifer smiled. Robert and Gregory always comforted her in her time of need and she was grateful. The girl held her head high again and looked at her friend and brother. "Well... let's go."
         And so she began walking again, still a bit nervous inside, but comforted by the preasence of Robert and Gregory. She realized that even if the creature did come out again, Robert and Gregory would make sure it didn't come after her. The thought of such caring friends overjoyed her and she lost all though of the creature and the forrest altogether, simply smiling and walking as if she was going for a stroll in a park. This didn't last long, however, as you will find out.

         Suddenly, the beast Jennifer mentioned before bolted out onto the path from some brush beyond. The entire group was startled and paralyzed for a moment at the sight of the terrific beast. Its long fangs peeked out of the veil if its lips, the rest of the vicious teeth being slowly revealed as the wolflike creature began to growl. Its slit, bloodshot eyes fixed on Jennifer and it barked at her, getting in a position ready to pounce. Robert broke out of his daze and yelled a battle cry, running at the beast as fast as he could.
         "Robert! Wait! You'll get killed!" Gregory shouted, afraid for his friend.
         "If I don't do this," Robert replied, "Jennifer will!" At that moment, Robert reached the beasted and slashed, slicing the monster's fur on its right eye, although it did little more damage. The foul beast simply looked at Robert now through its wound, growling. It swiped at him with tis paw, cutting into Robert's side. Robert goaned in agony and dropped to his knees, holding his punctured sides. The beast opened its gaping maw, ready to bite Robert and gobble up the poor lad, when an arrow shot into the creature's chest. Robert didn't waste his moment. He quickly grasped his sword in both hands and swung at the beast, felling it upon contact. Its mighty head rolled to Jennifer, as if still growling at her, still with its menacing stare.
         Jennifer nudged it out of the way with her foot, still frightened and disgusted, but you can't blame her, really. I believe I would be, too. Robert sheathed his sword and smiled at Gregory. "Thanks." The boy looked down at his side, knowing this wound would surely leave a nasty scar, but thinking that at least he had a story to tell his future children of because of it. He was really too optimistic.
© Copyright 2005 The Southern Polaris (UN: levitimes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
The Southern Polaris has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/368312-Chapter-Two